The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I’m neither a bed wetter or a happy clapper. I am, however, old enough to have seen a good few managers. I honestly couldn’t see us scoring at any point on Saturday. Yes, the football is much better to watch, but I had the same feelings as Deeks final months when we couldn’t buy a goal.

However, the defence needs sorted first IMO. 

53 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

If we allow one of the Edinburgh clubs to get 3rd and potential group stages it will be a disappointment.

Agreed but we’ve basically replaced the squad, the management team and the style of play all at the same time just as hibs have put a settled side together that are reasonably consistent domestically. 

So as galling as it is, it’s a tall order to finish 3rd minimum in those circumstances. 

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Agreed but we’ve basically replaced the squad, the management team and the style of play all at the same time just as hibs have put a settled side together that are reasonably consistent domestically. 

So as galling as it is, it’s a tall order to finish 3rd minimum in those circumstances. 

When I say 3rd minimum, I don’t mean we should be finishing higher than that, more I would hope to be doing better than getting knocked out of cups by lower league opposition.

20 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

When I say 3rd minimum, I don’t mean we should be finishing higher than that, more I would hope to be doing better than getting knocked out of cups by lower league opposition.

It happened to one of the teams we're panicking will finish above us in last seasons cup.

32 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

Aye that was obviously a kick in the balls but that’s what can happen when you let jack gurr near a football pitch. 

Whilst it’s obviously a devastating one for glass that he couldn’t compensate for with Europe, I’m always wary of reading too much into one game where we’d made 7 changes or whatever it was. 

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye that was obviously a kick in the balls but that’s what can happen when you let jack gurr near a football pitch. 

Whilst it’s obviously a devastating one for glass that he couldn’t compensate for with Europe, I’m always wary of reading too much into one game where we’d made 7 changes or whatever it was. 

We're three points off Hibs. I'm sure most would have accepted that at this stage pre-season. 

If we don't take 4 points minimum from the next two games then it might be time to begin to worry.

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Aye, the bedwetting and happy clapper nonsense is best left elsewhere.

Expect better on P&B, despite a differing range of views - which is perfectly fine, that’s what it’s all about really.

yes, on AFC chat with all the other man children who have never stepped foot outside aberdeen in their life who frequent it.

Edited by red23

I don't want Glass sacked right now- I just didn't ever want him appointed in the first place.

Anyone thinking that hiring a guy so far removed from the Scottish game and with so little managerial experience could come in and cause some sort of revolutionary attacking masterclass at Pittodrie straight away was living in a fantasy land. I think you can either be an inexperienced manager or come into Scottish football fresh but not both... The wider context of the Glass hiring worries me more. It seems astonishing to me he was objectively the best available manager but I've clearly never met the guy and maybe he just blew the Aberdeen hierarchy away with his insights behind closed doors.... I wanted McInnes out at the end but if it were a McInnes or Glass decision- I'd have reluctantly gone with McInnes

But people who were Pro-Glass, it's surely too early to jump off the band wagon now even in spite of the poor start to the season (the Raith game being the real frustration and leaves us now only with one chance of silverware for the season).

The appointment must have been with longer term thinking in mind for it to be justified so I won't judge him too harshly for the time being, he has plenty of time to turn it around this season and potentially in years to come but my gut feeling is and has been since looking at his non-existent track record and lack of time spent coaching in scotland that the Glass tenure will be a failure. I really hope I am wrong and will gladly admit if I am further down the line. In a few weeks with a couple of wins the situation may be look totally different. 

I'm neither a happy clapper nor a bedwetter.  I've nothing against Glass personally, I just believe we've embarked on an experiment where the odds are massively stacked against us. I don't blame Glass for that. The justification for sacking McInnes was attractive football, and whoever was appointed would have had to try to deliver it.  Cormack is in the driving seat here, not Glass.

Every club would like to entertain its fans by playing attractive football as well as delivering success.  Yet outside the OF, despite a certain amount of lip service, nobody in the SPL even really attempts it.

That's because the evidence that an SPL side outside the top two maximises its chances of success by playing pragmatic football is overwhelming.   Theory and history both point the same way.  Unless your financial advantage over competing clubs is huge, expansive football increases the likelihood of conceding faster than it increases the likelihood of scoring.   Football professionals know this.  They also know that, contrary to many fan's beliefs, bad results will reduce attendances faster than negative football.

If Cormack and Glass can prove me wrong, I will be absolutely chuffed to bits.  I'm old enough to have started watching football  in an era when a club like ours could get away with playing adventurously and I bloody miss it.   At times recently I've enjoyed us being easier on the eye than we often were under McInnes.  But I was pessimistic at the start of this experiment and on the whole the evidence so far hasn't made me feel any different.

Having appointed Glass, it's too early to think about sacking him.  But people saying he deserves 3 transfer windows are fantasists.  Once a manager's credibility is gone, it's usually gone for good, and that can happen quickly.  I think the wheels could easily come off for Glass before Christmas.  I hope that's me being ultra pessimistic.

My worry is that if it does happen Cormack will appoint another manager with the "attractive football" remit and we just rinse and repeat.

1 hour ago, ScottishZizou said:

I don't want Glass sacked right now- I just didn't ever want him appointed in the first place.

Anyone thinking that hiring a guy so far removed from the Scottish game and with so little managerial experience could come in and cause some sort of revolutionary attacking masterclass at Pittodrie straight away was living in a fantasy land. I think you can either be an inexperienced manager or come into Scottish football fresh but not both... The wider context of the Glass hiring worries me more. It seems astonishing to me he was objectively the best available manager but I've clearly never met the guy and maybe he just blew the Aberdeen hierarchy away with his insights behind closed doors.... I wanted McInnes out at the end but if it were a McInnes or Glass decision- I'd have reluctantly gone with McInnes

But people who were Pro-Glass, it's surely too early to jump off the band wagon now even in spite of the poor start to the season (the Raith game being the real frustration and leaves us now only with one chance of silverware for the season).

The appointment must have been with longer term thinking in mind for it to be justified so I won't judge him too harshly for the time being, he has plenty of time to turn it around this season and potentially in years to come but my gut feeling is and has been since looking at his non-existent track record and lack of time spent coaching in scotland that the Glass tenure will be a failure. I really hope I am wrong and will gladly admit if I am further down the line. In a few weeks with a couple of wins the situation may be look totally different. 

The issue here is that the club decided on certain criteria that had to be met. Attacking football, playing youth more often along with being happy with a certain wage may have seen him as the only person willing to accept the role.

On Mcinnes v Glass. You can guarantee that we wouldn't be starting with Ramsay and MacKenzie this season. This could be worth millions to the club.

12 minutes ago, OneBrianIrvine said:

Newbie question - is it a running gag on here or do a baffling amount of people not know our chairman’s name?

Yes.

Guest Bob Mahelp

There's a fine line between re-building, and failing. 

For years now we've laughed at the Edinburgh clubs and their 're-building' strategies, where all the time they were heading for relegation and getting humiliated in cup ties. 

Sadly for Glass, it's essential that he hits the ground running. His remit....build a team, find a more attacking style, and win things....is tough, but that comes with the territory at a club that had a relatively succesful time under McInnes but needs to kick on to the next level. 

To give him some credit, on paper the players he's assembled look capable of making a challenge for 3rd place. However, that's 6 games in a row we've played without winning and he needs urgently to find a way to beat teams. 

We genuinely looked bereft of any real attacking ideas on Saturday, and that's concerning. Next up is a team that we often struggle against, so it's not going to get any easier. 

Scoring the first goal is absolutely crucial. I was spikin tae a very depressed Ramirez on Sunday, his take, unsurprisingly, is that losing the first goal is killing us. Appeared utterly pissed aff at oor defensive frailties and bemoaned the loss of Hedges. Felt sorry for the loon, looked like he was carrying a heavy load, I think the reaction at Fir Park was a culture shock

Appointing a manager with so little experience has to be a slightly longer term project.

Let’s hope he’s learning all the time, so by next season the same mistakes aren’t made. 
Get the balance of the squad right. Playing euro qualifiers with 1 striker is just a joke.

Be far better prepared for the euro qualifying games, arguably most important games of the season.
Get the balance of the team right, and not shoehorn 4 central midfielders into the team just to play them.

A solid foundation is the start of any success, get the defence sorted a s a priority.

Don’t sign Longstaff unless Ferguson is definitely going.

Its the cup, so go for it with your best team regardless. 
Be ruthless, contacts for McGinn, Devlin etc. pointless. 
The list goes on. So many mistakes made already.
Old Davy McCormack has to learn quickly as well. 
I think he will be getting until xmas next year as a minimum, barring an absolute nightmare.

I'm neither a happy clapper nor a bedwetter.  I've nothing against Glass personally, I just believe we've embarked on an experiment where the odds are massively stacked against us. I don't blame Glass for that. The justification for sacking McInnes was attractive football, and whoever was appointed would have had to try to deliver it.  Cormack is in the driving seat here, not Glass.
Every club would like to entertain its fans by playing attractive football as well as delivering success.  Yet outside the OF, despite a certain amount of lip service, nobody in the SPL even really attempts it.
That's because the evidence that an SPL side outside the top two maximises its chances of success by playing pragmatic football is overwhelming.   Theory and history both point the same way.  Unless your financial advantage over competing clubs is huge, expansive football increases the likelihood of conceding faster than it increases the likelihood of scoring.   Football professionals know this.  They also know that, contrary to many fan's beliefs, bad results will reduce attendances faster than negative football.
If Cormack and Glass can prove me wrong, I will be absolutely chuffed to bits.  I'm old enough to have started watching football  in an era when a club like ours could get away with playing adventurously and I bloody miss it.   At times recently I've enjoyed us being easier on the eye than we often were under McInnes.  But I was pessimistic at the start of this experiment and on the whole the evidence so far hasn't made me feel any different.
 Having appointed Glass, it's too early to think about sacking him.  But people saying he deserves 3 transfer windows are fantasists.  Once a manager's credibility is gone, it's usually gone for good, and that can happen quickly.  I think the wheels could easily come off for Glass before Christmas.  I hope that's me being ultra pessimistic.
My worry is that if it does happen Cormack will appoint another manager with the "attractive football" remit and we just rinse and repeat.

These two posts essentially encapsulate where I sit with Glass. It was clear McInnes was done but the replacement with Glass was depressingly predictable given the links with Atlanta.

We may be easier on the eye, but the results haven't hugely picked up and the early impressive performances in the Intertoto European rounds have faded fast, much like the last two seasons.

The same lack of creativity outside Hedges issue is there generally although Saturday seemed a case of wasting chances. But neither McInnes or Glass have sorted the creativity, instead rolling the dice on changing strikers who still lack service.

Ultimately if we are going to be profligate, we need to shut the back door to get results. That's not the "philosophy" McCormack wants but ultimately it's a results business and Glass needs to be delivering more of them.

If not, he will rightly be under real pressure by Christmas.

Guest Bob Mahelp
58 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

These two posts essentially encapsulate where I sit with Glass. It was clear McInnes was done but the replacement with Glass was depressingly predictable given the links with Atlanta.

We may be easier on the eye, but the results haven't hugely picked up and the early impressive performances in the Intertoto European rounds have faded fast, much like the last two seasons.

The same lack of creativity outside Hedges issue is there generally although Saturday seemed a case of wasting chances. But neither McInnes or Glass have sorted the creativity, instead rolling the dice on changing strikers who still lack service.

Ultimately if we are going to be profligate, we need to shut the back door to get results. That's not the "philosophy" McCormack wants but ultimately it's a results business and Glass needs to be delivering more of them.

If not, he will rightly be under real pressure by Christmas.

I tend to agree with this. I'm also not a fan of the 'give him time to re-build' approach, I'm afraid. 

Glass was hired to take the base that McInnes set up....consistently strong league positions, decent European results, and cup finals....and to improve on it. 

Already, we're out of one cup to a lower league side. Something that only ever happened once under McInnes, and that was to a strong Hibs side at Easter Road in 2015. 

It's a tough fucking gig, but the fact is that Glass isn't here to win beauty competitions. He's here to win games, and to move the club to 'the next level' (TM whoever). 

He has to prove that he isn't just a amate of the chairman who is out of his depth and will set us on a backwards trajectory. The jury is still out. 

8 hours ago, ScottishZizou said:

I suspect once October is done, there will be huge pressure on him.

We play SEVCO Celtic, Hibs & Hearts in one month.

The way we’re playing I see 3 defeats & a draw.

If that happens, Glass will come under heavy criticism & pressure.

21 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I tend to agree with this. I'm also not a fan of the 'give him time to re-build' approach, I'm afraid. 

Glass was hired to take the base that McInnes set up....consistently strong league positions, decent European results, and cup finals....and to improve on it. 

Already, we're out of one cup to a lower league side. Something that only ever happened once under McInnes, and that was to a strong Hibs side at Easter Road in 2015. 

It's a tough fucking gig, but the fact is that Glass isn't here to win beauty competitions. He's here to win games, and to move the club to 'the next level' (TM whoever). 

He has to prove that he isn't just a amate of the chairman who is out of his depth and will set us on a backwards trajectory. The jury is still out. 

McInnes squad was basically spent. There was nothing left to build on. Apart from Lewis, Ferguson, Considine and Hedges, maybe McCrorie. That's a rebuilding job in anyone's language. No-ones building an entertaining, OF challenging team on a base of Gashton and Kennedy. 

I think Glass has hired well in terms of the standard of player but not in the balance of the squad. Remains to be seen whether he has any real tactical nous. 

I think he deserves until next year unless we're in a relegation battle. More to the point i think he'll get until next year because Davy has bet big on him. 

Agree that the jury's out though.