The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

9 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I agree that Hedges is our best and most important attacking player, but I would be more concerned if we weren't creating virtually any good chances, which is what it seemed like post-Christmas of last season. As the graphic higher up the page suggests, we could quite feasibly have scored three or four goals yesterday from the chances and openings we created and it wouldn't have been without merit. Of course, you have to take them to win games, but it's still better to be creating genuinely good chances and missing them than not creating them at all. 

More generally, it's almost an entirely new team (and coaching staff). Looking at the line-up from yesterday, only Lewis, McCrorie and Ferguson were regulars last season, and one of them has now moved position under Glass too. It is a really significant turnover and I think there has to be a degree of patience with both the management and the squad. 

Es is Aiberdeen fans we're spikkin' aboot.

55 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I still feel that despite all the transfer activity, Hedges remains our most vital player. He's the only player in our squad that does what he does....these electric 10 yard bursts around the edge of the box, linking with the striker(s), popping up from midfield to get the odd goal. 

Nobody else in our squad plays the role that he plays. Watkins is relatively similar, and I'm happy we've signed him, but it's no coincidence that Hedges being injured has coincided with us stopping winning games....the same thing happened back in January. 

Agree with all that. And bear in mind that Hedges season-ending injury last season came hard on the heels of the loss of Scott Wright, who was our only other similar player.  

13 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

So, are we thinking then that Fergie is staying, or going?

Based on not seeing him applauding the fans after being subbed off on Sunday, staying. 

Based on us signing 3 centre mids, going. 

Hope this helps. 

17 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Based on not seeing him applauding the fans after being subbed off on Sunday, staying. 

Based on us signing 3 centre mids, going. 

Hope this helps. 

Based on looking like his mind was elsewhere at times on Sunday, at least contemplating the possiblity that he might be going.  I thought at times he played like a guy that thought this was no time to be getting an injury, which is absolutely not his style at all.

6 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

Based on looking like his mind was elsewhere at times on Sunday, at least contemplating the possiblity that he might be going.  I thought at times he played like a guy that thought this was no time to be getting an injury, which is absolutely not his style at all.

I'd put his relative anonymity down to him being played wide. Could also have been staying out of trouble right enough. 

Sportsound discussion tonight.

Dick Fister said that at least four teams are better than us, and that 5th would be a successful first full season for Glass.

All the pundits felt our coaching team was too inexperienced (Glass, Brown, Russell’s credentials discussed - Apaloo not mentioned).

Darryl Broadfoot said (tongue in cheek I think to wind him up) that we needed an experienced Craig Levein-type character in there.

2 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Dick Fister said that at least four teams are better than us, and that 5th would be a successful first full season for Glass.

All the pundits felt our coaching team was too inexperienced (Glass, Brown, Russell’s credentials discussed - Apaloo not mentioned).

Darryl Broadfoot said (tongue in cheek I think to wind him up) that we needed an experienced Craig Levein-type character in there.

Need at least 10 games to see where we are at but having already played Hearts after a European game there is no way they are a better team than us. Who would be the other team above us assuming Celtic, Rangers and Hibs are cited as 3 of 4. Genuinely think now we are out of Europe and had time to blend all the new signings in we will finish third or fourth at very worst.

28 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

Could that be because he is in the Scotland squad for the first time and didn't want to miss out through injury?

That said he looked disinterested yesterday

Guest Bob Mahelp
55 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

We've played 4 games so far. We were excellent against United, average in the first half at Tynecastle then very good in the second half, awful at Livingston, and decent in long spells yesterday in a game we really should have won by 3 or 4 goals. 

In the short amount of football so far, I haven't really seen one outstanding team in the SPL. Rangers will undoubtedly win the league, Celtic will end up around 10 points behind them, then everything else is up for grabs. 

Hearts have dug out a few wins in a way that only Hearts can, Hibs haven't played a top 6 side yet, and we're still struggling to find our best team. 

I don't know how any 'expert' could say that there are at least 4 teams better than us. 

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

I didn't think we'd ever have a player who was worse than Mark Kerr as captain.

About two years later we gave it to Ricky Foster.

Bitchy.

Edit: not sure if I’m allowed to say that.

Edited by kingjoey