The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp
11 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Genuinely thought the Longstaff chat was a wind up. 

It seems that there are a few Championship clubs...Huddersfield, Blackburn and Sheffield United...wanting him on loan, but Newcastle want him to go to Aberdeen. 

Let's hope he didn't watch tonight's game. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

There is a huge element of frustration though that...once again.... we've waited until being knocked out of Europe, and the league cup, before strengthening a squad that so obviously needed players around 3 months ago. 

We're not unique in this. But it seems to me that the club almost think that the first 10 games or so of the season don't really count, and that we can merrily begin taking things seriously from the beginning of September. 

12 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

There is a huge element of frustration though that...once again.... we've waited until being knocked out of Europe, and the league cup, before strengthening a squad that so obviously needed players around 3 months ago. 

We're not unique in this. But it seems to me that the club almost think that the first 10 games or so of the season don't really count, and that we can merrily begin taking things seriously from the beginning of September. 

I think there is an issue with the timing of our season and transfer window in this context. We are aligned to England whose clubs get to start their European football later. Its a big disadvantage compared to the leagues we compete against.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Lots of outlets running with it 

Noookassel seem desperate for him to come to us. I suspect they believe he'll get more 1st team football with us than with a Championship club. 

Which is probably true. 

Maybe they they haven't looked at the result tonight and think he's going to get European experience ? Lol. You fools. 

11 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Is this Longstaff chap good then?

Good to see Watkins signing. Doesn't quite make up for that abysmal performance, but if he can recapture his form from the start of last season he'll be cracking for us.

Pretty sure him and his brother strolled a game v Man Utd at a combined age of 30 a couple of years back. Don't think he gets a look in because Steve Bruce.

On the subject of squad building, it's difficult. Players will hold off until as long as possible before the English clubs know what they're doing. By that point our season is already underway.

29 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Burns talking like it's a done deal.

Seems like a good loan for Aberdeen but quite an odd one from Newcastle's point of view. Especially if there were so many championship clubs after him.

The Stephen Glass connection perhaps ?

I agree that it seems odd from a Newcastle perspective but a decent acquisition for us.

Fergie away before Tuesday possibly ?

31 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Burns talking like it's a done deal.

Seems like a good loan for Aberdeen but quite an odd one from Newcastle's point of view. Especially if there were so many championship clubs after him.

Championship is a ridiculous league. Loads of players cast aside almost immediately because they've not hit the ground running. Clubs so desperate to reach the EPL they end up with massive squads with a crazy wages to turnover ratio.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I reckon his last touch as an Aberdeen player was scoring last night.

I also think this M.R.

Provided we are getting fair value then he goes with my best wishes and wish him a successful career.

There of course is one obvious caveat to that 😉

@Merkland Red correctly points out that the English Championship require players to "hit the ground running" or they're likely to be dumped fairly quickly. That's how we see managers, isn't it? He's made (some big) mistakes. Some good signs. Some good signings. It'll take time - just how much will he be given? Should be safe for the season.

Glass looks like an inexperienced manager, but one with a plan and a lot of good ideas. He’s also been hamstrung in the fact that our squad is paper thin. He certainly gets the season for me. Top six minimum, providing the football still looks good and we clock up a few very good, convincing wins that are a “glimpse at what could be if we were more consistent”. 

then next season we bring it all together and win the fucking thing. 

2 minutes ago, Dandiest Don said:

https://twitter.com/mrewanmurray/status/1431213241875714048?s=19

The guardians golf correspondent saying we are in advance talks with David Bates

Hmm, strange one. Linked with Hearts but Derek Rae was implying a move for him had fallen through and he preferred staying in Germany or elsewhere in Europe rather than coming home. Wouldn't be the worst signing but liked the idea of signing the young lad Hamilton from Accies.