The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

So far; 

Overpriced tickets to watch us play Icelandic part timers. 

The chairman flexing about how the wage bill is up- scary if true.

Pittodrie being left to rot and then fans being blamed for seats falling apart, putting unnecessary negative light on the red shed, which is a bad thing, for obvious reasons.  What does he want? A good atmosphere or folk sitting on their hands? 

Knocked out of the League Cup to a championship side at the first hurdle largely due to the performance of one of our 'squad' players who both the manager and chairman vehemently defended the signing of. 

Our best players appear to want out, in Hedges and Ferguson. 

The squad is paper thin and it's probably going to cost us our place in 2 competitions, at least. 

We're going into Hearts for our third game of the season fairly certain we'll get scudded. 

My optimism has waned. 

1 hour ago, TheDon99 said:

Has there been any actual news on the length of time Hedges will be out for. Will massively boost our chances in the second leg if he has a chance of returning.

Still awaiting a diagnosis apparently.

Not sure I'd take the delay as good news though.

3 hours ago, BrendanGalloway said:

At the moment it feels like European football is a weight around our neck which we are struggling to cope with. 

I don't understand this mentality.

This game on Thursday is absolutely crucial to our season in engaging the support and bringing a slice of glamour and excitement to the city as we head towards autumn and winter.

It's the opportunity for the players to showcase their talents to a wider audience, an opportunity for the club to gain some much needed revenue, a chance for supporters to see more established European clubs come to Pittodrie and for the more adventurous(or, at least, those with money to spend on such frivolity) to travel and watch the club on the continent (and beyond, in the case of the match last night).

It might even have some players from other clubs eyeing up a move or looking enviously towards Aberdeen(like the hair transplant at Hibs)

European football is the icing on the cake for a club like ours. We should all (management, players, board and supporters) be buzzing for Thursday night because this is the opportunity for the club to lift itself up by the Euro bootstraps and head for that Top 100 that we hear so much about. We've all moaned in the past about hard Euro draws, poor refereeing, poor pitches, unpreparedness and all that pish but now we can sweep that all to the side (although the refereeing standard is still in doubt) and as a club make next Thursday night as uncomfortable as possible for Qarabag.

However, now we're saying we can't cope, and we're already defeated before we start against Qarabag.

Fans, players and everyone associated with the club to shake free from this negativity really. We shouldn't even consider failure on Thursday but if we go out then Qarabag need to shed blood, sweat and tears. Let's test them and see if they have the stomach for the battle.

Too many times in the last 30 years has the club (players, fans, managers and board) rolled over and had our collective belly tickled. The supporters need to attend this match in the right attitude, transmit positive energy and win at all costs mentality to the players and create a hostile environment for that cheating little Brazilian Kady and his Qarabag chums.

If we want to make life easy then we can just go and bottle out of it and stick to our four games a month league programme.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

9 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

This game on Thursday is absolutely crucial to our season in engaging the support and bringing a slice of glamour and excitement to the city as we head towards autumn and winter.

It's the opportunity for the players to showcase their talents to a wider audience, an opportunity for the club to gain some much needed revenue, a chance for supporters to see more established European clubs come to Pittodrie and for the more adventurous(or, at least, those with money to spend on such frivolity) to travel and watch the club on the continent (and beyond, in the case of the match last night).

It might even have some players from other clubs eyeing up a move or looking enviously towards Aberdeen(like the hair transplant at Hibs)

European football is the icing on the cake for a club like ours. We should all (management, players, board and supporters) be buzzing for Thursday night because this is the opportunity for the club to lift itself up by the Euro bootstraps and head for that Top 100 that we hear so much about. We've all moaned in the past about hard Euro draws, poor refereeing, poor pitches, unpreparedness and all that pish but now we can sweep that all to the side (although the refereeing standard is still in doubt) and as a club make next Thursday night as uncomfortable as possible for Qarabag.

However, now we're saying we can't cope, and we're already defeated before we start against Qarabag.

Fans, players and everyone associated with the club to shake free from this negativity really. We shouldn't even consider failure on Thursday but if we go out then Qarabag need to shed blood, sweat and tears. Let's test them and see if they have the stomach for the battle.

Too many times in the last 30 years has the club (players, fans, managers and board) rolled over and had our collective belly tickled. The supporters need to attend this match in the right attitude, transmit positive energy and win at all costs mentality to the players and create a hostile environment for that cheating little Brazilian Kady and his Qarabag chums.

If we want to make life easy then we can just go and bottle out of it and stick to our four games a month league programme.

What are you even on about. I was merely speaking about our predicament not mentality. Obviously we all want to be in Europe but the game on Thursday cost us our place in the League cup and if we lose on Sunday the game on Thursday will play a big part in the loss if we rest players. Everyone was buzzing for the season until we scraped past livi and lost to Raith, both results due to resting players for European games. Our squad is not good enough to be in Europe and rest players for domestic games, OF get away with it because there squads are absolutely miles ahead of any other team domestically. 

13 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Absolutely. A meaningful European run will live long in the memory with the support, as it did back in 2007. 

Folk can’t surely on one hand complain that mcinnes was dull then on the other say we don’t want proper European football. 

We ain’t going to win the league so this is a rate clear and tangible opportunity to take a step forward as a club in so many respects. 

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Absolutely. A meaningful European run will live long in the memory with the support, as it did back in 2007. 

Folk can’t surely on one hand complain that mcinnes was dull then on the other say we don’t want proper European football. 

We ain’t going to win the league so this is a rate clear and tangible opportunity to take a step forward as a club in so many respects. 

I agree but will will have to accept loses domestically to accomplish this if we go all in for Europe. Group stages will take our turnover from 15m to circa 20m, that is a massive increase. Would happily take a loss on Sunday if it meant winning on Thursday. 

Edited by BrendanGalloway

Just now, BrendanGalloway said:

I agree but will will have to accept loses domestically to accomplish this if we go all in for Europe. Group stages will take our turnover from 15m to circa 20m, that is a massive increase. 

We will, likely starting with Sunday. 

I think it’s probably too soon for us to finish 3rd anyway given the surgery we’ve done on the squad and still to be done, plus hibs are stronger than us at this very moment. so if we could get group stage football and scrape into qualifying again through the league then that would be a decent effort IMO. 

7 minutes ago, BrendanGalloway said:

What are you even on about. I was merely speaking about our predicament not mentality. Obviously we all want to be in Europe but the game on Thursday cost us our place in the League cup and if we lose on Sunday the game on Thursday will play a big part in the loss if we rest players. Everyone was buzzing for the season until we scraped past livi and lost to Raith, both results due to resting players for European games. Our squad is not good enough to be in Europe and rest players for domestic games, OF get away with it because there squads are absolutely miles ahead of any other team domestically. 

Did us beating Livingston put you on downer Brendan? Winning a league game was a result of us resting players! How awful..

Losing against Raith was a sore one but I won't be reflecting too much on it when we send Qarabag on their merry way on Thursday night

I think it’s probably too soon for us to finish 3rd anyway given the surgery we’ve done on the squad and still to be done, plus hibs are stronger than us at this very moment. so if we could get group stage football and scrape into qualifying again through the league then that would be a decent effort IMO. 

I don't see why we cant challenge for third with a few additions but if we make it to the groups it will be tough. The groups and 4th would be a great first season no doubt about it.

No point in getting a one off cash injection, it needs to be sustainable imo. If we sacrifice next years' qualification by getting to the group stage was there any point?

Any money won needs to be invested in the squad to ensure we stay in the top 4.

16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Scottish Cup win/3rd will qualify for European Conference League although will have a chance of the Europa League so I think finishing 3rd will be critical. Our signings haven't stopped yet and it looks like the board is willing to lose 2 to 3 million this season with what Cormark has said.   

Edited by betting competition

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m not saying we shouldn’t aim for 3rd lads, I just don’t think that’s where we’re at as a squad right now and group stage football wouldn’t do that any particular favour for this season. 

Not suggesting you are pal, just looking at it from a slightly different angle; absolutely every penny from the groups (if we manage to get there) needs to go into the squad.

1 minute ago, Illgresi said:

Not suggesting you are pal, just looking at it from a slightly different angle; absolutely every penny from the groups (if we manage to get there) needs to go into the squad.

I’d imagine plenty of it will (not all) but probably not all of it in this month. 

although we’re slightly getting ahead of ourselves. 

19 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

No point in getting a one off cash injection, it needs to be sustainable imo. If we sacrifice next years' qualification by getting to the group stage was there any point?

Any money won needs to be invested in the squad to ensure we stay in the top 4.

A year of European groups and finishing 5th is more valuable than finishing third with no group football though. By some distance too.

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

......bringing a slice of glamour and excitement to the city as we head towards autumn and winter.

If a Europa Conference League qualifying play-off second leg match between Aberdeen and the Azerbaijani Premier League's second best team doesn't bring a bit of 'dazzle' to the streets of the city, I just don't know what will. 

Edited by The Other Foot

1 hour ago, The Other Foot said:

If a Europa Conference League qualifying play-off second leg match between Aberdeen and the Azerbaijani Premier League's second best team doesn't bring a bit of 'dazzle' to the streets of the city, I just don't know what will. 

Although if we beat them we might just get some genuinely glamorous ties.

More seriously, I think this is about the money.  I kind of agree with your implied point that Europe has been over-sold for fans of clubs of our size, but the Conference League is maybe a game changer.  The competition may not be serious, but for clubs of our size the money is.  In recent years it's been almost impossible for Scottish clubs outside the top 2 to get a big slice of Euro money.  Instances of clubs qualifying for the group stages of the Europa Cup were rare and spread too far apart for clubs consistently to benefit.  We haven't since 2007.

That may be about to change.  What we really couldn't afford is a situation where the likes of Hibs and Hearts were regularly reaching the group stages and we weren't.  A few years of that and they could be out of sight financially. 

I'm not saying that's going to happen.  It's too early to tell whether some Scottish clubs will regularly make the group stages in the Conference League.  But if they do we can't afford not to be one of them.