The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Again, I'm not an expert but I was under the impression that "transfer window" is something of a semantic error. They are registration windows; any club can buy a player at any time, they just can't register them to play in their domestic competitions. Which in this case wouldn't be an issue, as he wouldn't be playing for them. Man Utd used to do this all the time with non-EU players, signing them up and immediately loaning them out to Royal Antwerp for 2 years (only 2 years to get nationality in Belgium iirc). Meant they came back to Man Utd as EU citizens.
The rule of being registered with no more than 3 clubs per season isn't broken. Even if it was still 2 clubs it wouldn't be broken, because he wouldn't ever be registered with Atlanta Utd.
Only problem is whether there are any mental MLS franchise based rules, which let's face it....none of us know for certain.
Your other two points are pure conjecture, but there may be an element of truth to either of them. I can't see the third point being the case though. Why would he be worried about burning his bridges? He'd presumably want a 3 or 4 year contract, at the end of which he'll either be good enough to stay at Aberdeen, or there will be plenty of potential suitors. He's never going to have to rely solely on Hibs for a contract offer again.

Atlanta would need international clearance in order to sign him. It’s impossible to do this outside of the buying club’s transfer window. If they didn’t have clearance, they couldn’t sell him on to Aberdeen as he wouldn’t be theirs to sell in the eyes of FIFA.

3 minutes ago, Baldie1980 said:
12 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:
Marley Watkins available on a free transfer. He has short-term deal with Cardiff which expires at the end of the month.

Sign him up.

he scored a double on his debut,Cardiff may extend that deal

Already announced they're not.

Guest Bob Mahelp

As proven last season, without Hedges we're a bit toothless. Ideally McLennan should be stepping up to the plate, but there are no signs at all that he's anywhere near the level required. 

Let's hope that this isn't a long term injury. 

2 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Atlanta would need international clearance in order to sign him. It’s impossible to do this outside of the buying club’s transfer window. If they didn’t have clearance, they couldn’t sell him on to Aberdeen as he wouldn’t be theirs to sell in the eyes of FIFA.

Again international clearance is a matter of registering players. I can't find anything to suggest an unregistered player can't be loaned out, but my search hasn't been extensive.

Atlanta would be buying the rights to register the player, then loaning those rights (or immediately selling them again) to us.

Does Watkins provide the injection of pace we lack in the forward positions? I don't think so. 

I would rather Darren Mowbray and Stephen Glass show us that they have different  and fresh ideas in comparison to the McInnes era.

Watkins would possibly be ok (although I have my doubts) costing nothing apart from wages (although they might be quite high relatively speaking for an Aberdeen player) but I still think we could do better and younger. In my mind, we have our full quota of players aged 30+.

And why haven't Cardiff offered him anything long term? Is there still questions regarding his fitness?

Edited by Bogbrush1903

19 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Again international clearance is a matter of registering players. I can't find anything to suggest an unregistered player can't be loaned out, but my search hasn't been extensive.

Atlanta would be buying the rights to register the player, then loaning those rights (or immediately selling them again) to us.

Atlanta could make a quick buck here as they owe us £850k for Hernandez in January.

2 hours ago, CCB19035 said:

He's over 30 

Too many injuries 

Can't sell him on 

How will the club afford it when we were only paying part of his wage from Bristol City?

As a free agent, and in this market, it really doesn't matter what he was on at Bristol City.

It depends on what he can get now, and how competitive we could be.

I suspect it won't happen, as it will be seen as McInnes-style going back to previous known quantities - but if Watkins had been on a 2 year deal rather than just loaned to us, he'd be a first team regular based on what we saw of him early last season, before Scott Brown decided to prematurely end his AFC career.

27 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I thought they'd already paid that in previous investment?

Not clear if it's going to be them clawing some of the £2M back that they put in previously but he is only on loan. So a permanent transfer will need done at some point.

8 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Didn't realise Hernandez was staying there?

I don't think he'll be back providing he stays in the team and presuming there is no dramatic change in the exec management at Atlanta.

Guest Bob Mahelp
12 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

As a free agent, and in this market, it really doesn't matter what he was on at Bristol City.

It depends on what he can get now, and how competitive we could be.

I suspect it won't happen, as it will be seen as McInnes-style going back to previous known quantities - but if Watkins had been on a 2 year deal rather than just loaned to us, he'd be a first team regular based on what we saw of him early last season, before Scott Brown decided to prematurely end his AFC career.

This.

The Watkins that we saw a year ago would still stroll into this Dons side, and in fact would be an ideal replacement for Hedges as it stands. 

It's a new management team though, and I doubt if Glass will be interested.

4 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

This.

The Watkins that we saw a year ago would still stroll into this Dons side, and in fact would be an ideal replacement for Hedges as it stands. 

It's a new management team though, and I doubt if Glass will be interested.

My only worry with Watkins is we used him to stretch the defence and play in the holes to make space for Wright and Hedges. A different game playing further back and having to be the focal point between defence and attack but he's obviously capable.

Guest Bob Mahelp
24 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

No sure if this is news at all,  but a couple of you were debating "investing" v "overspending a la auld gers".

Seems Cormack is happy to increase the wage bill this season.

Aberdeen's wage to turnover ratio is well within acceptable limits. It's pretty much the same as both Hearts and Hibs, as I understand it (or at least it certainly was a season or 2 ago). 

Aberdeen pay higher wages because we have a bigger turnover than both Hearts and Hibs.