The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

15 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

MainStandMoan recently posted this on AFC Chat:

"Its likely that there will be no additions to the squad until there are 2/3 departures, or unless we make the group stages in Europe. It may be towards the end of the month before any of the potential departures find a club. Likely candidates are pretty much as mentioned by others, Ojo, Kennedy, Ferguson, McGeouch. Watford have not increased their bid, although that may now happen given there's interest from 2 clubs in Holland on Ferguson.

We have been asked to be kept informed by St Johnstone on Jason Kerr, with Kennedy being used as bait, but that depends on a large fee coming in for Ferguson. There is a new deal on the table for Hedges, which may further harm any potential additions, with that eating into the budget too.

Dave Cormack now back in the country, quarantining in a local luxury hotel, things tend to happen when he is here, so lets see what the next 2/3 weeks bring."

No Travel Lodge for Dave, then.

It’s a bit early to judge but I am getting the sense of a quiet downsizing of the football budget. 

That in itself is understandable as the club is struggling financially and we were operating on a pretty high cost base. A whole raft of players leaving allows us to get that under control a bit. 

However, if that is the case (and I stress if) then the messaging coming out of the club about the ambitions we have are pretty poor. I’d rather the club were honest that we need to reign it in a bit until crowds are back and we’re a bit more sustainable. 

Saying that, I recognise many fans don’t accept that message. 

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s a bit early to judge but I am getting the sense of a quiet downsizing of the football budget. 

That in itself is understandable as the club is struggling financially and we were operating on a pretty high cost base. A whole raft of players leaving allows us to get that under control a bit. 

However, if that is the case (and I stress if) then the messaging coming out of the club about the ambitions we have are pretty poor. I’d rather the club were honest that we need to reign it in a bit until crowds are back and we’re a bit more sustainable. 

When Dave Cormack said that our budget was circa £9m and that Hibs budget was circa £6-7m for last season and that Aberdeen would be 'competitive' in terms of budgets this season it set off alarm bells with me.

Our first game is a week on Thursday but we've still no idea how much of a crowd we're 'allowed'.

Frustrating when you see a full Wembley on Sunday. All maskless. I can see us being allowed 2,000 all socially distanced and masks being heavily policed.

I’m not sure I would agree that the budget has decreased. Brown and Ramirez will be among our top earners with Gallagher and JET on good first team wages also. Certainly not a decrease to what we were paying Hoban, Taylor, Logan and Leigh.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

I’m not sure I would agree that the budget has decreased. Brown and Ramirez will be among our top earners with Gallagher and JET on good first team wages also. Certainly not a decrease to what we were paying Hoban, Taylor, Logan and Leigh.

I agree. It’ll be broadly similar.

I just think there will be a greater disparity between the top earners against the lower earners now… but it’ll average out the same. 

I can’t shake the feeling though that he’s just happy to be in the job & can’t quite believe he’s got the job, & if Cormack tells him there’s to be cuts, he’ll happily go along with it. 

Edited by Thenorthernlight

45 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Our first game is a week on Thursday but we've still no idea how much of a crowd we're 'allowed'.

Frustrating when you see a full Wembley on Sunday. All maskless. I can see us being allowed 2,000 all socially distanced and masks being heavily policed.

And having to turn up 2 hours beforehand.

f**k that. What 

We really need to sign a youngish centre back. We need this for cover now and for future seasons.

I suspect we will aim to loan another attacking player. A number 10 who can fill in as a second striker would make sense. They are expensive and given the outlay on strikers this window I suspect a loan from England would make sense for now. We saw the risk of injuries limiting our creative options last season.

12 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Not only has he been stitched up, so have we as fans.

”Exciting signings” we were promised.

We’re still well short & start the season in 10 days & look like going in to a European tie, which at best is 50/50 given the two clubs respective fitness, with an inadequate squad.

Yep the fans have been done up like kippers. And i'm not buying the "we're struggling financially" from fans either. Says who? We have lost  around £200k according to Dave Cormack. Between investment from directors and the Blank investment from Atlanta, the insurance payout and the wage deferrals we were in the hole by £200k. Obviously the deferrals have to be paid back this year. That may have something to do with it? Who knows. But on the whole the squad as it is will not cope with the full season. We need 3 players for me: Striker (would imagine an EPL loanee courtesy of AR, a CH (needs to be 1st pick IMO and we were after Robertson) and a winger. 

Edited by DunbartonshireRed

40 minutes ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

Yep the fans have been done up like kippers. And i'm not buying the "we're struggling financially" from fans either. Says who? We have lost  around £200k according to Dave Cormack. Between investment from directors and the Blank investment from Atlanta, the insurance payout and the wage deferrals we were in the hole by £200k. Obviously the deferrals have to be paid back this year. That may have something to do with it? Who knows. But on the whole the squad as it is will not cope with the full season. We need 3 players for me: Striker (would imagine an EPL loanee courtesy of AR, a CH (needs to be 1st pick IMO and we were after Robertson) and a winger. 

How are sales of AberDNA going?  Don't see the club pushing it that often, plenty fans will have less disposable income now so understandable if income from this has dropped.

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm fairly comfortable with where we are at just now. Nobody around us have really strengthened too much at this point. 

15 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm fairly comfortable with where we are at just now. Nobody around us have really strengthened too much at this point. 

I’m not panicking, but gut feeling is this squad won’t be great as it stands. 

I question our strength in depth defensively and I don’t see a great deal of pace or dynamism in attack in what we’ve got currently. 

Yeah I'm not anywhere near full blown panic mode yet but as said the squad is painfully thin in a few places and going into the first European game having only played a couple of games makes it feel like the squad is going to be very unprepared.

38 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m not panicking, but gut feeling is this squad won’t be great as it stands. 

I question our strength in depth defensively and I don’t see a great deal of pace or dynamism in attack in what we’ve got currently. 

35 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Yeah I'm not anywhere near full blown panic mode yet but as said the squad is painfully thin in a few places and going into the first European game having only played a couple of games makes it feel like the squad is going to be very unprepared.

Yeah I agree with you both. Domestically I think we have a better squad than most. Will be interesting to see what Hibs do once they sell.

I think we're at a stage where clubs realistic demands are 'x' and players/agents aren't onboard yet. We'll need to sell to buy anyway just based on the central midfield issue we have.

Edit: although not ideal we have more than enough bodies to get some XI v XI games on the go at training. Pretty certain that wasn't permitted due to covid restrictions last year.

Edited by Merkland Red

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

What I’m clinging to is that we’re waiting for Ferguson to be sold so that the two/three players we bring in are of a higher quality,

If we were to bring in two/three now without the Fergie fee, it would be lower quality?

If we start the season with the squad as is, we’ll struggle in a few areas. 

What I’m a little confused about is that we allegedly bid for Jamie McGrath (so a transfer fee is available to pay?) & we tried to sign Clark Robertson, so wages available for a defender.

Surely we have alternatives to those two?