The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

18 minutes ago, starryfish said:

I agree re the matches at Hampden to an extent, the staggering of entry times was a good idea in theory but allowing all fans to leave the stadium at the same time made a mockery of it.

If they asked me to turn up THREE hours before KO, I’d not bother.

That’s five hours sat in a seat before you talk about getting to Pittodrie & back. 

23 hours ago, SamuraiJock said:

I wonder whether a Ferguson departure is awaited before making any more moves? If we expect to sell him for a few million in a months time, then we could likely get better players in after that. If so would be better to hold off on signings rather than getting cheaper squad players in now? Of course we might well be out of europe by then...

Two things maybe?

As you say, the potential sale of Lewis & also the imminent appointment of a Head of Recruitment?

A £3m fee (albeit not up front) would potentially up the ante for a couple of good signings, compared to what we might end up with?

Also, the new HoR might have a new list of ideas we could target (you’d hope so seeing as that’s his job). 

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Two things maybe?

As you say, the potential sale of Lewis & also the imminent appointment of a Head of Recruitment?

A £3m fee (albeit not up front) would potentially up the ante for a couple of good signings, compared to what we might end up with?

Also, the new HoR might have a new list of ideas we could target (you’d hope so seeing as that’s his job). 

https://upthemightypool.co.uk/2020/08/10/insight-analysis-head-of-recruitment-tommy-johnson/

An insight in to how we works here.

4 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Responsible for the signing of Shane Duffy........

Yes… but to be fair, plucked him from obscurity.

I prefer to look at the fact he was responsible for Blackburn signing him for £200k then selling him on for £4.5m

Thst should be our template for a lot of our recruitment. 

Signing youngish players, for small fees, getting 80-100 games out of them, & selling them on for 10 times what we paid. 
Like we’ll do with Lewis Ferguson - perfect example. 

12 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

This is Aberdeen city council we're talking about.  The most incompetent, useless, inward looking, unadventurous,  conservative, nimby, wee man mentality council in the UK (outside the Shire, obviously).

I don't think anyone really believes that they'll throw caution to the wind and allow over 8K in Pittodrie. 

Let's not knock our councillors for being timid.  It's a minor saving grace.  Stupid and timid is better than stupid and brave.

On 10/07/2021 at 05:38, Thenorthernlight said:

Yes… but to be fair, plucked him from obscurity.

I prefer to look at the fact he was responsible for Blackburn signing him for £200k then selling him on for £4.5m

Thst should be our template for a lot of our recruitment. 

Signing youngish players, for small fees, getting 80-100 games out of them, & selling them on for 10 times what we paid. 
Like we’ll do with Lewis Ferguson - perfect example. 

I agree with what you're saying.

On paper at least, he appears more experienced than our previous head scout Russ Richardson. There is still plenty of time for a few new additions in this current window. Perhaps we are waiting to see what players Tommy Johnson can suggest upon his arrival. As stated elsewhere, a 3rd striker, left winger and left sided centre back are blatantly needed.

On a side note, I'm not convinced Ferguson will leave this window. Unlike other sides in our league, we are in a fortunate position in that we aren't required to sell any of our valuable assets. Personally, I'll be surprised if we do receive a bid matching our evaluation for Ferguson this window.

MainStandMoan recently posted this on AFC Chat:

"Its likely that there will be no additions to the squad until there are 2/3 departures, or unless we make the group stages in Europe. It may be towards the end of the month before any of the potential departures find a club. Likely candidates are pretty much as mentioned by others, Ojo, Kennedy, Ferguson, McGeouch. Watford have not increased their bid, although that may now happen given there's interest from 2 clubs in Holland on Ferguson.

We have been asked to be kept informed by St Johnstone on Jason Kerr, with Kennedy being used as bait, but that depends on a large fee coming in for Ferguson. There is a new deal on the table for Hedges, which may further harm any potential additions, with that eating into the budget too.

Dave Cormack now back in the country, quarantining in a local luxury hotel, things tend to happen when he is here, so lets see what the next 2/3 weeks bring."

15 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

"Its likely that there will be no additions to the squad until there are 2/3 departures, or unless we make the group stages in Europe. It may be towards the end of the month before any of the potential departures find a club. Likely candidates are pretty much as mentioned by others, Ojo, Kennedy, Ferguson, McGeouch. Watford have not increased their bid, although that may now happen given there's interest from 2 clubs in Holland on Ferguson.

We have been asked to be kept informed by St Johnstone on Jason Kerr, with Kennedy being used as bait, but that depends on a large fee coming in for Ferguson. There is a new deal on the table for Hedges, which may further harm any potential additions, with that eating into the budget too.

Dave Cormack now back in the country, quarantining in a local luxury hotel, things tend to happen when he is here, so lets see what the next 2/3 weeks bring."

Not a chance that's him... unless the same was posted on aberdeen-mad.

Edited by Merkland Red

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Not a chance that's him... unless the same was posted on aberdeen-mad.

He left Aberdeen-mad I think.

No reason to not believe him.

Quite depressing there’s nothing imminent.

We’re short in a few areas.

Begs the questions of what happened to the money we bid for McGrath & what happened to the money set aside for Clark Robertson?

I have my doubts it being him too. He seemed pretty touchy about criticism on Mad so no idea why he would sign up on the hat of all places if that was the case. Him signing up around the same time as that guy Red John who seems to be going out of his way to troll and wind up people on there makes me suspicious too.

8 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

I have my doubts it being him too. He seemed pretty touchy about criticism on Mad so no idea why he would sign up on the hat of all places if that was the case. Him signing up around the same time as that guy Red John who seems to be going out of his way to troll and wind up people on there makes me suspicious too.

I'd be amazed if it's the same guy.

Can't see that being the same guy. A blindfolded, sleeping, stuck in the basement Stevie Wonder can plainly see what we are missing. If Glass isn't going to get the proper backing to bring in the players required he's been stitched up something chronic by his pal from over the pond.  All for playing youth but we need a first choice experienced CH and a winger. The fact we only have Ruth as a backup to JET and Ramirez should be a major worry. No chance we can go into the toughest season (competitiveness wise) with only 2 senior strikers. 

4 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

We've asked Barca to keep us informed on the Messi situation, using Chris Kane as bait.

51 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

We've asked Barca to keep us informed on the Messi situation, using Chris Kane as bait.

All the Messi and Ronaldo type banter was brutal the first time it was used, many, many pre seasons ago.

Come on man, I’m sure you’re better than that. 

3 hours ago, DunbartonshireRed said:

Can't see that being the same guy. A blindfolded, sleeping, stuck in the basement Stevie Wonder can plainly see what we are missing. If Glass isn't going to get the proper backing to bring in the players required he's been stitched up something chronic by his pal from over the pond.  All for playing youth but we need a first choice experienced CH and a winger. The fact we only have Ruth as a backup to JET and Ramirez should be a major worry. No chance we can go into the toughest season (competitiveness wise) with only 2 senior strikers. 

Not only has he been stitched up, so have we as fans.

”Exciting signings” we were promised.

We’re still well short & start the season in 10 days & look like going in to a European tie, which at best is 50/50 given the two clubs respective fitness, with an inadequate squad.