The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

20 minutes ago, AJF said:

Aye, I think whatever way it was handled it was always going to cause Aberdeen issues. I just feel that if word of his transfer request was kept away from official channels then there might've been a chance Aberdeen could slightly salvage things more. Even if it was a case of them being able to say they refuse to comment on the matter if it's raised by any potential suitors during negotiations.

I also agree that whatever happens I'd expect Ferguson will still remain focused at Aberdeen until such time a deal is agreed to sell him. I think it's mainly with the elite players that this seems to be a more common issue with (Tevez being the prime example by going AWOL when at City).

Tbh, the only thing about it that stands out is some of the language in the statement. Putting something out through official channels and calling the offer "insulting" is just such a weak flex.

It's the sort of thing you'd expect to come out of Ibrox when Jim Traynor had his crayons out.

All that was really needed to be said was that the offer was significantly below valuation and that the club are not encouraging offers for the player. Instead you've got Cormack (presumably it's him) trying to pull this routine.

Edited by capt_oats

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Bill McMurdo, Lewis Ferguson’s agent, saying that Aberdeen went back on a gentleman’s agreement that the club would let him move to the English Premier League if a bid came in. So McMurdo seriously believes that, although not in the written contract, Aberdeen will accept the first sh*tty bid from an English Premier League club and let Lewis walk out the door. Guid ane.

You have to wonder what is said in these gentleman’s agreements. You’d assume that a rough fee is discussed as to what is acceptable I.e aye, we won’t stand in his way when the time comes but it has to suit the club financially. 

Id also like to think Lewis himself wants us to get a decent fee. We’ve literally rejected one bid before the window has even opened. If he really felt we were blocking him then it’s understandable but I don’t really understand why this has escalated quite so quickly. 

4 minutes ago, scottorae said:

Any good?

I've seen bits and pieces and he looks the real deal. I guy I went to school with plays for Cove and he said he looked brilliant in training. Didn't seem to get much chance to play actual games though. 

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, the only thing about it that stands out is some of the language in the statement. Putting something out through official channels and calling the offer "insulting" is just such a weak flex.

It's the sort of thing you'd expect to come out of Ibrox when Jim Traynor had his crayons out.

All that was really needed to be said was that the offer was significantly below valuation and that the club are not encouraging offers for the player. Instead you've got Cormack (presumably it's him) trying to pull this routine.

We won't know if this approach is correct until he goes. I've no issue with the statement but I'll happily admit I was wrong in hindsight if so.

22 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

We won't know if this approach is correct until he goes. I've no issue with the statement but I'll happily admit I was wrong in hindsight if so.

I mean, I don't think it really matters either way in the grand scheme of things.

It just feels like it's a wee dance he's doing for the benefit of the fans.

38 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Bill McMurdo, Lewis Ferguson’s agent, saying that Aberdeen went back on a gentleman’s agreement that the club would let him move to the English Premier League if a bid came in. So McMurdo seriously believes that, although not in the written contract, Aberdeen will accept the first sh*tty bid from an English Premier League club and let Lewis walk out the door. Guid ane.

What he's basically saying is "I am a really bad agent" and not only that - "I also squeal to the media about how bad an agent I am".

Lewis Ferguson should sack him and get one that knows how to write things into contracts - release clauses triggered by bids of a certain threshold for example.

Edited by tarapoa

20 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, I don't think it really matters either way in the grand scheme of things.

It just feels like it's a wee dance he's doing for the benefit of the fans.

Statement was true enough and right behind it. It would be like us offering 50m for Harry Kane when they want 100-150m, absolute ridiculous offer. If it was 1.2m it’s at least 50%  below valuation, probably more. That is an insulting offer imo. 

Edited by BrendanGalloway

3 minutes ago, BrendanGalloway said:

Statement was true enough and right behind it. It would be like us offering 50m for Harry Kane when they want 100-150m, absolute ridiculous offer. If it was 1.2m it’s at least 50%  below valuation, probably more. That is an insulting offer imo. 

:lol:

Aberdeen's statement has the same energy as Celtic and their "magnificent" offer to David Turnbull.

Edited by capt_oats

25 minutes ago, BrendanGalloway said:

Worth a go, imho

4 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

A little surprised by that, only as I half expected we'd get an American in potentially with a link to Atlanta.

3 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Russ Richardson has left the building!

Good news all around to be honest.

A clear dig at Richardson there in terms of the new strategy. 

Haven't spoken to him in a number of years but went to school with Gunn and he was always a decent lad, happy that someone from the backwater town I'm from has done something with themselves.

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Was he responsible for all our signings from England? 

He was McInnes chosen man for recruitment.

4 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Good to see a promotion from within which Steven Gunn has been with the club a long time. He was Football Operations Manager anyway but now taking on other McInnes responsibilities. 

We'll see what they say this evening.

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

What he's basically saying is "I am a really bad agent" and not only that - "I also squeal to the media about how bad an agent I am".

Lewis Ferguson should sack him and get one that knows how to write things into contracts - release clauses triggered by bids of a certain threshold for example.

Maybe if there was some sort of gentleman's agreement with Ferguson , it was done with McInnes , in the same way as JET's agreement/understanding with Livvy was apparently made personally with Martindale. 

If so then AFC could be taking the stance that with McInnes gone , all bets are off as regards the unwritten agreement with Ferguson.  That scenario could well leave Ferguson and his agent somewhat pissed off.

3 hours ago, BrendanGalloway said:

The biggest problem with the club staying quite is Ferguson’s tosser of a agent. Maybe they did decide to stay quite but then got tipped off by a paper that a interview with agent would be in paper in the morning/evening. 

There has been many situations like this over the years and I always wonder how much of it is the player and how much is agent. 

To err once is human, to err twice is careless 😉

Edited by Sheep62

2 minutes ago, A96 said:

Maybe if there was some sort of gentleman's agreement with Ferguson , it was done with McInnes , in the same way as JET's agreement/understanding with Livvy was apparently made personally with Martindale. 

If so then AFC could be taking the stance that with McInnes gone , all bets are off as regards the unwritten agreement with Ferguson.  That scenario could well leave Ferguson and his agent somewhat pissed off.

I don't believe Derek McInnes would have been paying Ferguson, nor Ferguson working for McInnes personally. He wouldn't be in any position to give a personal assurance. 

Any agent advising their client to rely on any such assurance from someone in a role as insecure as a football manager would be stupid and negligent.