The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

13 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

I wouldn't be altogether surprised if he turns out to be the next Shankland, turning in performances that make us wonder why we let him go.  I don't think it's likely, but it's possible.

Shankland has yet to prove he can be an outstanding talent in the top league in Scotland yet. He may have topped any of our leading goalscorers this season but he didn't rise above the mediocrity this season. That might be down to Mellon's playing style or it might be that Shankland just struggles more at a higher level but it's cost him a place at the Euros. 

I'm certainly not wondering why we let him go at present though. I watched him when Arbroath won at Tannadice just before Covid and he missed a sitter and his general play was hopeless.. 

2 minutes ago, EdmontonDandy said:

For the older supporters amongst us, you're describing Davie Robb to a Tee.

Maybe so, but Davie always gave 100% And scored against Celtic in two different finals.

13 minutes ago, EdmontonDandy said:

For the older supporters amongst us, you're describing Davie Robb to a Tee.

Funnily enough, I watched a video of Davie Robb playing for Scotland against England at Wembley in 1971 and thought he was absolutely hopeless and culpable for at least one goal maybe two. 

So I couldn't see why he was so highly thought of at Pittodrie but this probably explains it, just very hit or miss which is possibly always the way with footballing cult heroes... 

3 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Funnily enough, I watched a video of Davie Robb playing for Scotland against England at Wembley in 1971 and thought he was absolutely hopeless and culpable for at least one goal maybe two. 

So I couldn't see why he was so highly thought of at Pittodrie but this probably explains it, just very hit or miss which is possibly always the way with footballing cult heroes... 

Plus he got some famous fanny. Looking like that.

1 minute ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I wonder if we may see a few surprise outgoings who are under contract. 

McCrorie for 800k (thereabouts), Ojo to Wigan (125k), Lewis to England and possibly Kennedy as leverage as part of the McGrath deal.

Are these random musings or something you've heard?

Are you from Canada?

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Shankland has yet to prove he can be an outstanding talent in the top league in Scotland yet. He may have topped any of our leading goalscorers this season but he didn't rise above the mediocrity this season. That might be down to Mellon's playing style or it might be that Shankland just struggles more at a higher level but it's cost him a place at the Euros. 

I'm certainly not wondering why we let him go at present though. I watched him when Arbroath won at Tannadice just before Covid and he missed a sitter and his general play was hopeless.. 

To be clear, I never thought we made a bad decision letting Shankland go.  Based on the evidence available we made the right call.

As he's admitted in interviews since, his problems at Aberdeen were to do with confidence.  He seems to have had a particularly extreme case of imposter syndrome and didn't think he deserved to be at the club.

But once he went to the lower leagues he seemed to mature into some self-belief and when he was scoring a lot of goals and getting into the Scotland team most Aberdeen fans must at least have wished that we'd found a way of unleashing his potential at Pittodrie.  Maybe not quite the same thing as wishing we hadn't let him go.  He was a pretty clear MOTM in one of our league games against United at Tannadice so he hasn't been mediocre all season.

As for his current form, time will tell whether it's a blip or whether his fragile confidence means he'll never fulfil the promise he's shown in his good spells.

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Are you from Canada?

I live in Canada. Nothing I've heard just random however.

The Lewis Morgan enquiry and the bit about Griffiths (supposedly we are not interested) was something I was told shortly after Glass arrived.

9 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

To be clear, I never thought we made a bad decision letting Shankland go.  Based on the evidence available we made the right call.

As he's admitted in interviews since, his problems at Aberdeen were to do with confidence.  He seems to have had a particularly extreme case of imposter syndrome and didn't think he deserved to be at the club.

But once he went to the lower leagues he seemed to mature into some self-belief and when he was scoring a lot of goals and getting into the Scotland team most Aberdeen fans must at least have wished that we'd found a way of unleashing his potential at Pittodrie.  Maybe not quite the same thing as wishing we hadn't let him go.  He was a pretty clear MOTM in one of our league games against United at Tannadice so he hasn't been mediocre all season.

As for his current form, time will tell whether it's a blip or whether his fragile confidence means he'll never fulfil the promise he's shown in his good spells.

To be fair, it wasn't like he dropped down and was fantastic. He was hit and miss. I also remember him missing some sitters when we gave him a chance too.

6 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I live in Canada. Nothing I've heard just random however.

The Lewis Morgan enquiry and the bit about Griffiths (supposedly we are not interested) was something I was told shortly after Glass arrived.

Ok. Cheers.

22 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Are you from Canada?

Are you hinting that Vancouver_Don and HarleyQuinn are the same poster? 

If HarleyQuinn is then he seems to have used a far more agreeable approach than Vancouver_Don by stating clearly its their musings and not from a friend on the board. 

Vancouver_Don was P&B's very own Aldridge Prior who some on here enjoyed reading despite clear evidence he was full of shite.. 

2 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

That's called hedging your bets.. 

Anderson sure he'll do well but not good enough. 

Jay Emmanuel Thomas brilliant and hopeless...

All bases covered I think.. 

Maybe on JET because I haven’t seen enough to make a judgement really. 

But on Anderson I think he has enough to be a bottom 6 striker or around that level but won’t be good enough for us. That’s all I meant by a decent career. 

13 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Are you hinting that Vancouver_Don and HarleyQuinn are the same poster? 

If HarleyQuinn is then he seems to have used a far more agreeable approach than Vancouver_Don by stating clearly its their musings and not from a friend on the board. 

Vancouver_Don was P&B's very own Aldridge Prior who some on here enjoyed reading despite clear evidence he was full of shite.. 

It was a joke.

Not in a joking mood now though!

In all seriousness nothing good ever comes from this being played out in public for any party involved, except maybe the buying club. 

We’d obviously let him go for a fair price so why he’s trying to force our hand so early in the summer I don’t know.