The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

image.png.4dd128c122a78dd765f576cf9ddf5b81.png 

How I see us shaping up for next season. Would like a new left winger too but I genuinely don't think we're in too bad a shape. If we do get McGrath in and play Hedges out wide then we don't need too much more?

Striker is obviously absolutely critical.

14 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Don't think we had another opportunity to cash in on Cosgrove? We tried to shift him last summer prior to his injury.

There was interest in the January window and interest in the summer window prior to injury. 

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye, selling to ‘them’ would hurt but if we’re talking a significant fee from England then it’s good business. 

Can’t forget that the club is still in a sticky situation financially and that Ferguson was always going to be a develop and sell on signing. If we could follow that pathway regularly we’ll be doing alright.

I think that’s probably an understatement , and my suspicion is that AFC are in a much worse position financially than they’ve been letting on.  Not through any mis-management , but a combination of “perfect storm” circumstances on top of the catastrophic loss of income (eg hardly any of our players being out of contract  at the end of the 2019/20 season, meaning that we had to keep on paying them, even if only on a deferred basis, Cosgrove and McKenna’s stock falling meaning that we didn’t get nearly as much for them as we might reasonably have expected).

Whilst we might not exactly be at the  fire-sale stage , I don’t think we’re going to be playing hardball when it comes to selling any of our players.  We can’t really afford to run the risk of any of our saleable assets running down their contract and leaving for nothing or next to nothing , as has been the case in recent years with the likes of Shinnie, McLean , Jack , Wright.  So it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Hedges is sold at the first available opportunity unless (or even , if) he signs an extension to his contract which , I think has only another year to run.

I reckon the days of us being the highest wage-payers , in comparison to our main rivals (ie Hibs and Hearts) are pretty much gone , at least for the foreseeable future,  I think Glass has been brought in as part of an overall cost-cutting exercise and that anyone expecting marquee signings of a higher calibre  than the players we’ve been linked with recently is going to be sorely disappointed. 

Edited by A96

11 minutes ago, A96 said:

I think that’s probably an understatement , and my suspicion is that AFC are in a much worse position financially than they’ve been letting on.  Not through any mis-management , but a combination of “perfect storm” circumstances on top of the catastrophic loss of income (eg hardly any of our players being out of contract  at the end of the 2019/20 season, meaning that we had to keep on paying them, even if only on a deferred basis, Cosgrove and McKenna’s stock falling meaning that we didn’t get nearly as much for them as we might reasonably have expected).

Whilst we might not exactly be at the  fire-sale stage , I don’t think we’re going to be playing hardball when it comes to selling any of our players.  We can’t really afford to run the risk of any of our saleable assets running down their contract and leaving for nothing or next to nothing , as has been the case in recent years with the likes of Shinnie, McLean , Jack , Wright.  So it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Hedges is sold at the first available opportunity unless (or even , if) he signs an extension to his contract which , I think has only another year to run.

I reckon the days of us being the highest wage-payers , in comparison to our main rivals (ie Hibs and Hearts) are pretty much gone , at least for the foreseeable future,  I think Glass has been brought in as part of an overall cost-cutting exercise and that anyone expecting marquee signings of a higher calibre  than the players we’ve been linked with recently is going to be sorely disappointed. 

If there isn't going to be full crowds back at the football next season then I would expect us and Hearts to make major cuts. Hibs win the Scottish cup then they should get about 3 million from that so might not much such drastic cuts. 

6 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

I know it was expected to be in Europe again, but any excitement about the prospects of being in the new Conference League? With the right draw, may be able to get to the group stage.

There is a european forum on here for this info: 

I would add looking at the play-offs it is going to be difficult as there will be top teams from England/France/Germany/Italy/Spain in there. Should be a bit more clear at the end of this month which teams we could get. There is a chance we could get Ujpest FC (Ujpest Dozsa). 

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/seedecl2021.html

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

How I see us shaping up for next season. Would like a new left winger too but I genuinely don't think we're in too bad a shape. If we do get McGrath in and play Hedges out wide then we don't need too much more?

Can't believe I find myself saying this, but really Hayes has been middling to poor this season and no indication that he will improve next one. Squad player at best.

31 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Can't believe I find myself saying this, but really Hayes has been middling to poor this season and no indication that he will improve next one. Squad player at best.

That's exactly my thoughts but while he is there and we don't have a replacement he'll be starting.

40 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I think he was another one of these players who was playing well in a functioning side from Aug-Oct time.  His injury that forced him out of the cup semi was a real blow at the time - and borne out by Kennedy's half-hearted attempt to stay with Christie for the opener.

He never quite seemed the same once he returned from that injury, which was around the same time as the SFA Covid thing, Watkins/Wright then leaving - and a general disintegration in the team overall.

Maybe with a pre-season under his belt, and a fresh start, we can still get another season or two out of him.

Edited by tarapoa

2 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I think he was another one of these players who was playing well in a functioning side from Aug-Oct time.  His injury that forced him out of the cup semi was a real blow at the time - and borne out by Kennedy's half-hearted attempt to stay with Christie for the opener.

He never quite seemed the same once he returned from that injury, which was around the same time as the SFA Covid thing, Watkins/Wright then leaving - and a general disintegration in the team overall.

Maybe with a pre-season under his belt, and a fresh start, we can still get another season or two out of him.

I really hope that you could be right.

MainStandMoan has spoken:

"From what I understand Watford have had 2 bids turned down for Ferguson. They have been given a figure to hit, and if as expected they come back in, I'd expect him to go.

Sunderland have only made an enquiry on McCrorie, so that one has been exaggerated. Sunderland have also made an enquiry for Ferguson, but they wont pay the asking price.

The JET deal is done, although not formally signed, I'd expect that to go through this week. The club are after 3 strikers, JET is not seen as a first choice every week, more of a different option for different games. I understand the delay is caused by the uncertainty over the availability of Callum Hendry. Alan Russell likes him, and the club would take him, but St Johnstone are holding out for a fee, so that's probably the end of that, allowing the JET deal to be completed. That may be revisited if first and second choice cannot be achieved. There are some exciting names on that list, but as you can imagine there's a lot up in the air.

McGinn has been offered a new deal on much reduced money. Devlin too, although it may turn out to be a 'pay as you play'

On the subject of Alan Russell the club are less than impressed with his lack of transparency regarding his recent charge. A big emphasis in the statement on the word 'now'

A few other things bubbling along, expect some news later this week..................... big 10 days ahead."

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Would Tommie Hoban or Greg Leigh do a turn for likes of St. Mirren or you reckon they are leaving to move to bigger?

Hoban in particular fits our mould in thaT he's Irish and established at this level.

Both are good players at this level.

Depends what you are after. Hoban started well but we probably overplayed him. Wasn't comfortable playing out from the back either.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a decent enough offer down the road though.

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Hayes, Brown and possibly even big Andy will not be regular starters.  Their day has come and gone. Ferguson looks like he's being sold. 

So from your XI above, only ...Lewis, McCrorie, Gallagher, MacKenzie (maybe), and Hedges would be starters as it stands at this minute. We shouldn't forget Dean Campbell as well. 

It's not much of a 1st team squad, to be honest....

18 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Both are good players at this level.

Depends what you are after. Hoban started well but we probably overplayed him. Wasn't comfortable playing out from the back either.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't get a decent enough offer down the road though.

Sounds a bit like Shaughnessy in that regard. 

Leigh hardly played in his second spell, was that injury? Left back had been a bit of a problem area for us in that Tait isn't a natural LB but has been OK when called on this season. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Sounds a bit like Shaughnessy in that regard. 

Leigh hardly played in his second spell, was that injury? Left back had been a bit of a problem area for us in that Tait isn't a natural LB but has been OK when called on this season. 

I think that both Hoban and Leigh would do a decent job with St Mirren. 

I'm actually surprised that we're letting Hoban go, and Leigh as you say has hardly played. I doubt if they would make St Mirren into a top 3 side, but I don't think either would let you down.