The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Taylor had a decent year mostly playing in the middle of the back 3. Protected wider by consi and Hoban. Allowed him to be a purely no nonsense defender and rarely had to play the ball forwards. If glass fancies a back 4 then Taylor isn’t mobile enough and can’t pass forwards.

McCrorie apparently a target for Sunderland. 

Also buried at the bottom of the article: Hoban informed tonight that he isn't going to be offered a contract, Emmanuel-Thomas "close" to signing, Robertson offered a deal, and still interested in McGrath. 

16 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Read yesterday that Jonny Russell is on 22k-a-week in Kansas City.

Presumably anyone of decent pedigree in the MLS is outwith our price range unless there is some creative financing............which given Atlanta’s current fringe player right-back isn’t outwith the realms of possibility.

Yeah, apparently we're rolling in it as we're paying 5 guys -- Russell being one of them -- more than a $1 million for the season.

Here's all the MLS salaries:

https://www.thebluetestament.com/2021/5/13/22434442/complete-2021-mls-salaries-major-league-soccer-chicharito-vela-pulido-atlanta-lafc-miami-austin

8 hours ago, DrewDon said:

McCrorie apparently a target for Sunderland. 

Also buried at the bottom of the article: Hoban informed tonight that he isn't going to be offered a contract, Emmanuel-Thomas "close" to signing, Robertson offered a deal, and still interested in McGrath. 

McCrorie really hasn't been the same player since his bright start. Whether that's down to confidence, coaching or covid, I don't know. I'd be happy to sell for that though

Guest Bob Mahelp

It's extremely disappointing to see Ferguson leaving, no matter the amount we get for him. 

I don't see how we're apparently going to challenge for honours by selling our best players, especially if he ends up going to Rangers. 

We should be attempting to build a team around Ferguson, not sell him for buttons. This is all a huge kick in the nuts. 😞

9 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's extremely disappointing to see Ferguson leaving, no matter the amount we get for him. 

I don't see how we're apparently going to challenge for honours by selling our best players, especially if he ends up going to Rangers. 

We should be attempting to build a team around Ferguson, not sell him for buttons. This is all a huge kick in the nuts. 😞

A bit early to get upset about it Bob. £2m as an opening offer is good news. Getting that up to around £5m with add ons would be very good business 

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

A bit early to get upset about it Bob. £2m as an opening offer is good news. Getting that up to around £5m with add ons would be very good business 

Aye, selling to ‘them’ would hurt but if we’re talking a significant fee from England then it’s good business. 

Can’t forget that the club is still in a sticky situation financially and that Ferguson was always going to be a develop and sell on signing. If we could follow that pathway regularly we’ll be doing alright.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye, selling to ‘them’ would hurt but if we’re talking a significant fee from England then it’s good business. 

Can’t forget that the club is still in a sticky situation financially and that Ferguson was always going to be a develop and sell on signing. If we could follow that pathway regularly we’ll be doing alright.

I’m sure that we could get better money for Ferguson from down south than selling to a Scottish based club. What Aberdeen have to weigh up is do they hold out for another season a la McKenna, or so as not to risk his for falling off a cliff sell him this window. Unless the finances dictate it though, certainly wouldn’t be keen on selling McCrorie as well just now, and certainly not for the money being speculated on.

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I’m sure that we could get better money for Ferguson from down south than selling to a Scottish based club. What Aberdeen have to weigh up is do they hold out for another season a la McKenna, or so as not to risk his for falling off a cliff sell him this window. Unless the finances dictate it though, certainly wouldn’t be keen on selling McCrorie as well just now, and certainly not for the money being speculated on.

Agree with both posts.

Don't think we can sell both in the same window. Also agreement with someone further up who said Ferguson probably won't develop much more here. Maybe half a season being coached to play the system Glass wants to play may help. Can't see it adding much transfer value.

I want Ferguson to stay but bids of £2.0M with three and a half months of the transfer window remaining clearly point to an acceptable bid coming in this transfer window.

I'd be pleased with around £4M and given our gluttony of central midfielders unfortunately it makes sense to cash in.

We made mistakes not cashing in on Cosgrove and McKenna at their peak and gambling on them getting better before the next transfer window/s.

Something like £4M with no sell on for Hamilton (beyond the uefa solidarity 5%) is a no brainer for us this summer. It allows some cash in the bank and allows 4-5 small transfer fees to be paid out for players this window and January.

Edited by d31

If we then go and spend £500k on McCann, McGrath or Campbell then it's the model we need to start using to help us improve. If we start getting confident we can sell players then we could, for example, confidently add £1M per year to the Budget which is £20k/week which makes a significant difference.

13 minutes ago, d31 said:

I want Ferguson to stay but bids of £2.0M with three and a half months of the transfer window remaining clearly point to an acceptable bid coming in this transfer window.

I'd be pleased with around £4M and given our gluttony of central midfielders unfortunately it makes sense to cash in.

We made mistakes not cashing in on Cosgrove and McKenna at their peak and gambling on them getting better before the next transfer window/s.

Something like £4M with no sell on for Hamilton (beyond the uefa solidarity 5%) is a no brainer for us this summer. It allows some cash in the bank and allows 4-5 small transfer fees to be paid out for players this window and January.

Spot on 

Hindsight and all that but not selling McKenna to Villa for £6 million even struck me as a huge gamble at the time 

Even if it was a loan initially 

18 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Spot on 

Hindsight and all that but not selling McKenna to Villa for £6 million even struck me as a huge gamble at the time 

Even if it was a loan initially 

Some folk continue to mistakenly believe it was a loan with an option to buy but it was actually a loan with an obligation to buy. It was a great deal because if Villa wanted out of it they'd have had to compensate us and negotiate out of the deal meaning we could have ended up with £1M or £2M for giving him away for 4 months. Heyho.

50 minutes ago, d31 said:

Don't think we had another opportunity to cash in on Cosgrove? We tried to shift him last summer prior to his injury.

15 minutes ago, d31 said:

Some folk continue to mistakenly believe it was a loan with an option to buy but it was actually a loan with an obligation to buy. It was a great deal because if Villa wanted out of it they'd have had to compensate us and negotiate out of the deal meaning we could have ended up with £1M or £2M for giving him away for 4 months. Heyho.

Aye

The only downsides were that we would’ve had to wait until the summer for the cash and it was about 5 minutes before the window shut

Was still a no brainer though