The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Goalkeeping seems to be an issue, the ability is there with Lewis but confidence seems shot, not sure how good Woods is. I’d be considering getting rid of Gordon Marshall and taking in a new gk coach, fresh ideas might help 

Edited by starryfish

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Yeah basically, sounds like a very weird situation. I imagine it's maybe a little more simple and the 'handshake' and 'gentleman's agreement' part is us not activating it if he goes abroad. If he doesn't then we extend it and make a club pay a fee. Very weird situation though. Could end up messy if one side pulls out at any point

If this whole story is true, I imagine what has actually has happened is that he's activated his extension clause (it was a number of starts). The gentleman's agreement will be that he can leave for free if its a team from abroad where he's going to make megabucks. If not, it will require a nominal fee to be paid.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

For what its worth, he's one of the most talented players I've seen playing for Livingston. Outrageous skill and just a monster for opposition defenders to deal with. If Aberdeen do sign him, they are certainly owe us a fee morally for getting him up to match fitness after not playing for such a long time. He was absolutely hopeless (slow and lumbering) when we originally signed him. 

Iain Russell was the player I would put any future mortgage on scoring a penalty up until he arrived but he's surpassed him comfortably. I have confidence in him scoring every single one. 

48 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Goalkeeping seems to be an issue, the ability is there with Lewis but confidence seems shot, not sure how good Woods is. I’d be considering getting rid of Gordon Marshall and taking in a new gk coach, fresh ideas might help 

Lewis hasn't had a great season by his own high standards, but he is still one of the best goalkeepers in the league and has enough credit in the bank to go into next season as the undisputed number one. Hopefully he can get a full pre-season under his belt and build from there. 

I don't usually pay much attention to Aberdeen fans on social media (other than on here), but one of the worst takes in recent weeks has to be that Woods should replace Lewis longer term. I think his distribution might be slightly better, but I'm unconvinced that it's worth accepting fairly sizable downgrades in many other aspects of the goalkeeping fundamentals just to get a small upgrade in that one area. 

Edited by DrewDon

6 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Lewis hasn't had a great season by his own high standards, but he is still one of the best goalkeepers in the league and has enough credit in the bank to go into next season as the undisputed number one. Hopefully he can get a full pre-season under his belt and build from there. 

I don't usually pay much attention to Aberdeen fans on social media (other than on here), but one of the worst takes in recent weeks has to be that Woods should replace Lewis longer term. I think his distribution might be slightly better, but I'm unconvinced that it's worth accepting fairly sizable downgrades in many other aspects of the goalkeeping fundamentals just to get a small upgrade in that one area. 

Everyone was raging with him on Thursday past.

Proof that a goalie is only as good as his teammates previous game!

1 hour ago, starryfish said:

I think Lewis needs replaced. He is a good goalie but he is terrible with the ball at his feet. Liam Kelly or even the Ofir Marciano could be an option.

Sourcing a new GK coach would be a positive.

Daily Record must have discovered a new meaning for the word shock I think. Its seemed pretty obvious for a while.

Couldn't see Marciano coming to us, would be a fairly pointless sideways move for him at this stage of his career. Guessing he'd try his luck down south or sitting on the old firms bench with a higher wage for a season or two.

Probably wouldn't be in a rush to replace Lewis just yet anyway. Last couple of seasons haven't been quite as good as his previous ones but not bad enough to write him off yet.

8 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Oh aye and article says Mcginn will be offered a new deal on reduced terms.

Can't see McGinn agreeing to that. I'm more confused by that story suggesting we have offered deals to Mikey Devlin and Ethan Ross. What have either of them done to justify new deals?

7 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

Can't see McGinn agreeing to that. I'm more confused by that story suggesting we have offered deals to Mikey Devlin and Ethan Ross. What have either of them done to justify new deals?

Probably cheap options as I can't imagine either will have clubs queuing up for them. All the reports I've seen have said Devlin's would only be short term to see if he can prove his fitness.

20 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Probably cheap options as I can't imagine either will have clubs queuing up for them. All the reports I've seen have said Devlin's would only be short term to see if he can prove his fitness.

Devlin never really recovered after his disgusting red card v Killie. 

53 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Oh aye and article says Mcginn will be offered a new deal on reduced terms.

If McGinn signs a new deal then that'll be me quickly switching to the 'Glass doesn't know what he is doing' camp.

Edited by Merkland Red

14 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

If McGinn signs a new deal then that'll be me quickly switching to the 'Glass doesn't know what he is doing' camp.

Have to admit that besides maybe Gallagher none of the recruitment stories so far are filling me with much confidence for next season.

51 minutes ago, resk said:

i know you know this, but that's not a thing.  

Yeah, clearly, it was exaggeration given how unfit he was. If a fee is paid, I imagine it will be under the terms I set out earlier.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

Not even a remote chance we'll finish third next season. Apathy already kicking in.

The announcements of JET and Robertson set to sign, Glass potentially keeping one of Kamberi or Hendry and now McGinn, Ross and Devlin all being offered new deals genuinely has me questioning if we'll finish top 6 next season.

Hibs fans rightfully laughing at us.

What is Barry Robsons reputation like as a coach for you guys? He has been linked to us for the “head coach” role. I actually wouldn’t be too opposed to this, even if to me he seems like a bit of a dewr chap, but was just wondering if people who had experienced him coaching thought positively towards him?