The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 minutes ago, Placida Domingo said:

How could be do better?  Celtic have 6-7 times Aberdeens budget, Rangers have about five. Third is first for Aberdeen, that's winning the title. There's no chance Aberdeen or anybody will ever separate the old firm again, it's just not possible. Give my mum their budgets she finishes above Aberdeen.

True, she does enjoy finishing on top. 

1 minute ago, Placida Domingo said:

None taken.  But I don't think anyone could seriously look at McInnes time in charge and disagree that it has been anything other than outstanding and a massive success.  And realistically the chances that Aberdeen could recruit a manager who could do better are vanishingly small.  

How could be do better?  Celtic have 6-7 times Aberdeens budget, Rangers have about five. Third is first for Aberdeen, that's winning the title. There's no chance Aberdeen or anybody will ever separate the old firm again, it's just not possible. Give my mum their budgets she finishes above Aberdeen.

I do believe he's been a success and a hugely positive figure for the club, outstanding and massive may be going a little over the top though.

To give balance to your argument...In the current climate finishing third is meeting our objectives, it isn't similar to winning the title. And we did finish 4th last season behind Kilmarnock. We can't expect to finish above the OF but we can expect to have a level of consistency against the rest of the league which keeps us reasonably in touch. We can also expect that our efforts against those sides would be significantly better than they have been in our two pathetic attempts this season.

Cups have been positive in the number of finals/semi finals we've been in but there's been some noteable failures too.

But ultimately, he can't just be judged on historic achievements. He is the best we've had since Fergie but it's fair to say he is not performing to that level currently. It isn't healthy in any organisation for there to be a prevailing attitude of 'we can't do any better so we'll turn a blind eye to the fact they're under-performing'. People need incentivised to keep building on success.

I believe he can salvage it over time but others don't. There is no doubt things need to improve.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Hahahahaha.

I took it to mean their investment is to improve the scouting etc. 

AMB Sports & Entertainment (the parent company of Atlanta United) is investing £2million into AFC as part of a new package of investment, led by Dave Cormack, totalling £5million. This will provide working capital for the Club’s day to day operations.

I'm presuming the whole thing has been set up to allow Atlanta to farm out their soft-as-f**k latinos (other ethic groups are available) to us, to have the shit kicked out of them by braindead journeymen that play for diddies like St Johnstone and Ross County. 

These 19 year olds from Tijuana and Guatemala City think they're hard coming out the barrios, but wait until they have a rainy Tuesday night at Hamilton in February.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I do believe he's been a success and a hugely positive figure for the club, outstanding and massive may be going a little over the top though.

To give balance to your argument...In the current climate finishing third is meeting our objectives, it isn't similar to winning the title. And we did finish 4th last season behind Kilmarnock. We can't expect to finish above the OF but we can expect to have a level of consistency against the rest of the league which keeps us reasonably in touch. We can also expect that our efforts against those sides would be significantly better than they have been in our two pathetic attempts this season.

Cups have been positive in the number of finals/semi finals we've been in but there's been some noteable failures too.

But ultimately, he can't just be judged on historic achievements. He is the best we've had since Fergie but it's fair to say he is not performing to that level currently. It isn't healthy in any organisation for there to be a prevailing attitude of 'we can't do any better so we'll turn a blind eye to the fact they're under-performing'. People need incentivised to keep building on success.

I believe he can salvage it over time but others don't. There is no doubt things need to improve.

No offence but I think that's just the deluded self entitlement of a typical Aberdeen fan who thinks they're a big club when they're not.  Aberdeen are not underperforming, they're sitting third right now.  That's as good as they can possibly hope to be. 

They are three points clear at the top of the table right now, whilst rebuilding a team yet again.  That's absolutely outstanding from McInnes and in many ways he is a victim of his own success as he has raised expectations so far Aberdeen fans don't see that as good, when it's as good as it's ever going to get and as good as it's been for the last thirty years.

it's also completely unreasonable to say third is simply meeting your objectives, you have very very similar budget to Hibs and Hearts, less than a million in it, and they don't have the need to spend massively on infrastructure like you do. 

So to consistently finish above them every season and also everybody else too (Killie an outlier last season due to a fantastic manager) is top drawer and not simply meeting your objectives.  It's not reasonable to make your objectives always finishing above two clubs that have identical budgets to you and labelling it failure of you don't.  That's consistently overachieving if anything.

I am a supporter of Mcinnes but he is underperforming by his own standards. This is not up for debate for anyone who watches us regularly. 

And no offence...but your comments suggest you have barely watched us at all. If I had to guess I would say you were an OF fan with the dinosaur mentality that all diddies should be creaming their pants at sitting in 3rd place (after 14 games FFS).

'Deluded self entitlement of a typical Aberdeen fan' also suggests you are not worth the time of day.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, Lofarl said:

Will be interesting to see what happens both to Aberdeen and Hibs with Ron Gordon.  So far aside from the initial investment we’ve seen nothing on the playing side at Easter road.  Unless this guy just likes to buy teams starting with the letter A then perhaps we might see Aberdeen really crack on and be in the mix for titles soon.  Either that or it’s gonna be a Vlad with Hearts and Kaunas situation.

Actually can we have that?  Scottish football needs another bonkers chairman.

I think the Hibs and Aberdeen situations are completely different. 

As far as I can see, Ron Gordon wasn't born in Scotland, and has no connections to either Hibs or Scotland other than the fact that his grandad comes from here. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems that he fancied having a finger in a pie in any Scottish team, and Hibs just happened to be there. 

There also seems to be some doubt as to how wealthy he actually is (not in the Vlad way, I don't mean that), and it looks highly unlikely that he's going to invest in Hibs to any major degree.

Cormack on the other hand is a lifelong Dons fan from Aberdeen, and has been involved in one way or another at the club for almost 20 years. He's already quietly invested quite a bit in AFC, culminating in the new training facilities.  It also means that as a fan he has an emotional attachment which makes it highly unlikely that he would walk away leaving the club in problems.

He's also sitting on at least half a billion quid, and even that can't compare with the guy who owns Atlanta United  (and now 10% of Aberdeen).  So if they want to throw money at the team, they could do it without blinking.

As ever though, these guys don't become squillionaires by chucking their cash into black holes or bottomless pits, and Cormack's history at the club suggests it'll be very much slow and steady rather than reckless. 

So I suppose in that sense, maybe I'm wrong and Cormack and Gordon are more similar than I suggested...

18 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I am a supporter of Mcinnes but he is underperforming by his own standards. This is not up for debate for anyone who watches us regularly. 

And no offence...but your comments suggest you have barely watched us at all. If I had to guess I would say you were an OF fan with the dinosaur mentality that all diddies should be creaming their pants at sitting in 3rd place (after 14 games FFS).

'Deluded self entitlement of a typical Aberdeen fan' also suggests you are not worth the time of day.

I'm a Dundee United fan actually.  So if three points clear in third is underperforming, where do you think Aberdeen should be right now?

3 minutes ago, Placida Domingo said:

I'm a Dundee United fan actually. 

Ah yes, I remember them.

3 minutes ago, Placida Domingo said:

So if three points clear in third is underperforming, where do you think Aberdeen should be right now?

On face value 3rd is meeting the seasons objectives. Dig a little deeper (or watch us) and we could be doing much better. We're 14 games in and find ourselves in 3rd due to plenty teams slitting their own throats at every turn. The warning signs are there that 3rd is far from guaranteed.

15 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Ah yes, I remember them.

On face value 3rd is meeting the seasons objectives. Dig a little deeper (or watch us) and we could be doing much better. We're 14 games in and find ourselves in 3rd due to plenty teams slitting their own throats at every turn. The warning signs are there that 3rd is far from guaranteed.

That's a pretty week attempt at criticism.  'We might not do as well in the near future as we're doing now' is hardly an indictment.  

I would accept Aberdeen aren't playing particularly well right now, but neither are Liverpool and they're on their way to a title win.  And to be meeting (I would say exceeding) objectives whilst not playing well is the sign of a very good team and a very good manager.

Edited by Placida Domingo

27 minutes ago, Placida Domingo said:

I'm a Dundee United fan actually.  So if three points clear in third is underperforming, where do you think Aberdeen should be right now?

I don’t think anyone believes AFC are under performing by being third.

All things being equal 3rd, 4th, 5th is where AFC, Hearts & Hibs should be given their budgets. When they underperform they’ll fall below that mark or when others over perform, as with Kilmarnock last season, who according to your own logic shouldn’t be anywhere near AFC given a budget about a third of Aberdeen’s budget.

What Aberdeen need is an exceptional coach. They don’t have one at the moment. They have a good coach who has them meeting expectations in the league…and that’s all. If they could land an exceptional manager then maybe they could get in about the Uglies just as Kilmarnock got in about Aberdeen.

Dropping a third of the points available against bottom six sides ain't gonna do it.

The trick, of course, is finding that exceptional coach.

Edited by EdTheDuck

5 minutes ago, Placida Domingo said:

That's a pretty week attempt at criticism.  'We might not do as well in the near future as we're doing now' is hardly an indictment.  

I would accept Aberdeen aren't playing particularly well right now, but neither are Liverpool and they're on their way to a title win.  And to be meeting (I would say exceeding) objectives whilst not playing well is the sign of a very good team and a very good manager.

What objectives are we exceeding (given the main rivals you stated earlier have self destructed most of the season)?

Sorry if you find my criticism 'week' but it isn't a simple case of 'it might get worse in future'. It's performing an assessment of the team based on what I've seen to date and there are definitely warning signs. Clearly you haven't read the multiple times I've stated I'm a supporter of Mcinnes and think he can improve things. 

In any case, your original argument was that Mcinnes is the greatest thing since sliced bread so the board shouldn't bother criticising or asking for more because Aberdeen should just be grateful. This would be a failing in any workplace regarding a key role, never mind an environment such as football.

From a lad at work who claims to have someone close to the situation and has been spot on before (has no interest in football and follows rugby):

Milne pushed out the door quicker due to an argument around the new stadium plans which likely won't happen. Training facility called Cormack Park after Cormack took the sulk as it turned out Milne was looking to him to source funding for the full project. Plan is now to stay at Pittodrie.

McInnes and Cormack don't get on (a few folk on here have stated this).

Eales to eventually run the show here as Cormack has no plans to move back here permanently.

14 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

I don’t think anyone believes AFC are under performing by being third.

All things being equal 3rd, 4th, 5th is where AFC, Hearts & Hibs should be given their budgets. When they underperform they’ll fall below that mark or when others over perform, as with Kilmarnock last season, who according to your own logic shouldn’t be anywhere near AFC given a budget about a third of Aberdeen’s budget.

What Aberdeen need is an exceptional coach. They don’t have one at the moment. They have a good coach who has them meeting expectations in the league…and that’s all. If they could land an exceptional manager then maybe they could get in about the Uglies just as Kilmarnock got in about Aberdeen.

Dropping a third of the points available against bottom six sides ain't gonna do it.

The trick, of course, is finding that exceptional coach.

Good post but getting in about the uglies just isn't gonna happen. You could appoint Klopp Guardiola and Mourinho in a managerial triumvirate they still couldn't get Aberdeen within ten points of second.

If you did manage to find such an exceptional coach, assuming one exists which personally I don't believe, he either wouldn't take the Aberdeen job or he'd be gone within nine months if he did.

My concern in this is Scottish football.  I don't have any great animosity towards Aberdeen, I think it's important for Scottish football to have a healthy Aberdeen partially bridging the gap between the old firm and everyone else. You have a manager doing that, and I fear he will eventually be hounded out by Aberdeen fans because of their unrealistic expectations.

7 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

From a lad at work who claims to have someone close to the situation and has been spot on before (has no interest in football and follows rugby):

Milne pushed out the door quicker due to an argument around the new stadium plans which likely won't happen. Training facility called Cormack Park after Cormack took the sulk as it turned out Milne was looking to him to source funding for the full project. Plan is now to stay at Pittodrie.

McInnes and Cormack don't get on (a few folk on here have stated this).

Eales to eventually run the show here as Cormack has no plans to move back here permanently.

With the greatest respect to my home town, Eales would have to be off his nut to swap Atlanta for Aberdeen, certifiably mental.

16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

What objectives are we exceeding (given the main rivals you stated earlier have self destructed most of the season)?

Sorry if you find my criticism 'week' but it isn't a simple case of 'it might get worse in future'. It's performing an assessment of the team based on what I've seen to date and there are definitely warning signs. Clearly you haven't read the multiple times I've stated I'm a supporter of Mcinnes and think he can improve things. 

In any case, your original argument was that Mcinnes is the greatest thing since sliced bread so the board shouldn't bother criticising or asking for more because Aberdeen should just be grateful. This would be a failing in any workplace regarding a key role, never mind an environment such as football.

Well I don't see what more the board could reasonably ask for. 

What would you suggest he should be doing that he isn't? I think the best they could ask for is more of the same, if he can keep Aberdeen where he has taken them that would be fantastic and a huge success. 

By continually doing this and not having one bad season so far, that is exceeding expectations.

Edited by Placida Domingo

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm presuming the whole thing has been set up to allow Atlanta to farm out their soft-as-f**k latinos (other ethic groups are available) to us, to have the shit kicked out of them by braindead journeymen that play for diddies like St Johnstone and Ross County. 

These 19 year olds from Tijuana and Guatemala City think they're hard coming out the barrios, but wait until they have a rainy Tuesday night at Hamilton in February.

The forecast for 11th February is frost.