The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Reynolds was woeful last night as he was for much of last season. The definite weak link in defence. 

I would have preffered to get rid of him and keep Taylor. 

He's been poor since Anderson retired, but when he had him alongside coaching him through games he was very effective; there's a chance Arnason could have the same effect on him. I agree though, he has been our most consistently poor CB for at least the last year. Taylor and O'Connor had the odd disastrous moment which cost goals, but Reynolds has consistently been poor positionally, in terms of decision making and with distribution. Considine is the better left sided CB for me.

I'm sure if he'd signed for anyone else we'd be told he was part of the worst Aberdeen teams ever.

Indeed you would not from me. I think you'd probably find there would be a fair bit of greeting and whining.

I think even if he hadn't played for us in the past, taking away the cult hero status, you'd have to say he's a top drawer signing. Stalwart in a very decent Rotherham side who won promotion and stayed safe, Champions League football with Malmö, and international success with Iceland, over sixty caps.

Add in the fact that he scored our LAST EVER GOAL VS RANGERS, absolutely BODIED the DABs and he looks like fucking THOR: it just about makes him my dream signing.

whats your best line up now once everyone is fit?

Lewis

Logan Arnason Reynolds Considine

Shinnie McLean

Stewart Christie GMS

Rooney

subs: Rogers, O'Connor, Tansey, Wright, Stockley, Storey, Maynard

whats your best line up now once everyone is fit?

Lewis
Logan Arnason Reynolds Considine
Shinnie McLean
Stewart Christie GMS
Rooney
subs: Rogers, O'Connor, Tansey, Wright, Stockley, Storey, Maynard

This exact lineup. Perhaps bringing in Tansey for the bigger games, but that'd probably mean shifting Christie out wide, which isn't something I'd like to see done too often. He does his damage through the middle.

The glaringly obvious weak links are left centre back, left back (since Shinnie is never likely to play there under McInnes) and given Rooney's apparent rapid decline; striker. Not too many obvious options for left back, but Moult would be nice up front. Arnason may fix the centre back position by improving whoever plays beside him, I wouldn't count on it though, and would aim to bring in another. Punt Reynolds if possible, and keep O'Connor and Considine as back up.

Edit:

I see Jose Enrique's been released by Zaragoza, could probably still do a job for us! 8)

Edited by Illgresi

Guest Bob Mahelp

As pointed out, the obvious weak links are now Reynolds, O'Connor, Considine and....sadly....Rooney, given that it seems unlikely that we'll have two lightning quick wingers whipping in crosses.

I realise now why McInnes is so set on getting someone like May or Moult in. We'll get nowhere with Rooney playing like he did on Thursday.

Defence is a bit more difficult to work out. I'm starting to wonder if we should have been in for Whittaker as experienced cover.

As pointed out, the obvious weak links are now Reynolds, O'Connor, Considine and....sadly....Rooney, given that it seems unlikely that we'll have two lightning quick wingers whipping in crosses.
I realise now why McInnes is so set on getting someone like May or Moult in. We'll get nowhere with Rooney playing like he did on Thursday.
Defence is a bit more difficult to work out. I'm starting to wonder if we should have been in for Whittaker as experienced cover.

Whittaker would have cost too much to come in purely as cover I'd reckon. He'd want to start. Might still have been a good signing.

I think, given Considine's record of developing his game to fit the team, he should be given more time to adapt. The whole team had a new shape to it, and no one was particularly comfortable.