The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Red TV have put up part of the BBC commentary from my first ever Cup Final, the 3-1 win over Celtic 50 years ago tomorrow. I always thought that David Francie was a decent, unbiased commentator, but he did not take the defeat well at all that day. He was incredulous at the award of a penalty for Joe Harper’s opener, and after both the second and third goals for Aberdeen, said nothing at all for a full 5 seconds or so after confirming that we had scored. Loved it. Give it a listen.

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

You've apparently aligned yourself with Hearts and Rangers, and are backing Rangers proposal ahead of the SPFLs.

Wrong again. You were so desperate to post that as well. 

You must be gutted.

13 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Wrong again. You were so desperate to post that as well. 

You must be gutted.

Just now, DrewDon said:

Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan - trade agreement - YouTube 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/18373159.hibs-vote-yes-spfls-proposal-scrap-season/

It was based on this, lads. 

Put your knobs away.

On 10/04/2020 at 21:27, kingjoey said:

Red TV have put up part of the BBC commentary from my first ever Cup Final, the 3-1 win over Celtic 50 years ago tomorrow. I always thought that David Francie was a decent, unbiased commentator, but he did not take the defeat well at all that day. He was incredulous at the award of a penalty for Joe Harper’s opener, and after both the second and third goals for Aberdeen, said nothing at all for a full 5 seconds or so after confirming that we had scored. Loved it. Give it a listen.

I haven't heard that commentary but always thought Francey was one of us.

Guest Bob Mahelp

I've spent my last fortnight doing an hour a day on the cross trainer and watching old Dons game from the 80's. 

Now, I was luck enough to be watching the mighty Reds in the glory days and I was at most of the games I've just been watching, but it's a while now since I've turned back time and re-lived my youth. There were quite a few things jumped out at me, and I'd love to share them with you (in no particular order) :

-some of the football played wasn't as silky and attractive as I remember it. I've forgotten what a physically strong team we were under Fergie. 

-mud. Lots of it.

-the 1st Scottish cup semi final in 1982 against St Mirren had 2 of the worst refereeing decisions ever given, which directly led to both goals. The replay, which we won 3-2, had 5 bizarre goalkeeping errors from the two best keepers in the country at the time, Leighton and Thompson.

-it was great fun playing Hearts and Hibs in the early 80's. We generally hammered them. Equally, we had a couple of seasons where the Fermers miraculously squeezed into the top league and over 8 games we had something like a 35-0 goal difference against them. 

-we would have won the league in 1982 if we hadn't bizarrely lost to Morton on the 17th April. From 10th April to 15th May we won 11 out of 12 games....the only defeat coming against our early 80's nemesis at Cappielow. Celtic won the league by 2 points.

-referees were generally shite (see above). Flying two foot lunges were generally ignored, but small nudges in the back by defenders were almost always penalised. Equally, hardly anyone gets yellow carded in the games I watched. Maybe the highlights missed out all the cautions.

-Bobby Clark was a better keeper than I gave him credit for. 

-when we won the league in 1980, I thought the games in April against Celtic were on the Saturday them following Wednesday. They were actually on Saturday 5th and Wednesday 23rd April. I was at the Saturday game, it was roasting, and I've still got the spit marks on my 40 year old Dons top. Mhinky bhastards. 

-Mark McGhee. He's a kqunt of a man but in almost every single game I've watched back he was absolutely terrific.....our attack revolved around him completely. He could hold the ball up brilliantly, had  terrific close control, was almost impossible to knock off the ball, and must have been an utter nightmare to play against. It's remarkable the amount of goals he scored or created. I just have to separate my then and now memories, but watching these games back has increased my appreciation of what he did for the club.

This coronavirus thing is great, I get to relive my youth 👍

Hoping Jack's Grandad enjoys the memories...

Edited by Bob Mahelp

9 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Two cheeks Kinky 😉

David Francey, a blue-nose, was upset about A'deen beating Celtic?  Oh behave!   BTW I'd enjoy listening to the commentary if you have a link. 

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I've spent my last fortnight doing an hour a day on the cross trainer and watching old Dons game from the 80's. 

-some of the football played wasn't as silky and attractive as I remember it. I've forgotten what a physically strong team we were under Fergie. 

-mud. Lots of it.

The best 'cross trainer' I know was Jock Wallace.

That aside, you are absolutely right.  Some of the football in the 70s and 80s was fucking brutal kickball played in ploughed fields.  It didn't seem that at the time.

What I miss most is the optimism at the start of each season that we could actually win the league and it also became expected that we would be playing in the Cup Final in May.
I probably slightly appreciated that I was watching something special at the time but it is not till you look back you realise how special it was.
I grew up in Dunfermline in the 70s and used to see all the black and white photos of the Pars with the cup and in Europe in the 60s without fully understanding the joy that must have brought. I now appreciate much more how special that time had been for them as well.

2 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

What I miss most is the optimism at the start of each season that we could actually win the league and it also became expected that we would be playing in the Cup Final in May.
I probably slightly appreciated that I was watching something special at the time but it is not till you look back you realise how special it was.
I grew up in Dunfermline in the 70s and used to see all the black and white photos of the Pars with the cup and in Europe in the 60s without fully understanding the joy that must have brought. I now appreciate much more how special that time had been for them as well.

Did you go on the Dunfermline/Kirkcaldy bus to the games? When I lived in Inverkeithing I hardly missed a game and that was the bus I went on until I was working and could afford the train.

Did you go on the Dunfermline/Kirkcaldy bus to the games? When I lived in Inverkeithing I hardly missed a game and that was the bus I went on until I was working and could afford the train.

Sometimes went on that bus, mainly for home games, though it was a wee bit of a tour of Fife picking folk up on the way.
Would get the train to most away games and once one of our lot could drive we would normally drive to Pittodrie as well.

3 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Who do we have Out of Contract during the summer?
If memory serves, there shouldn’t be many?

Without looking it up, i'm going for Cerny and possibly Bryson? Maybe a couple of formerly promising youngsters- Frank Ross mibbe? 

On 13/04/2020 at 18:04, The_Kincardine said:

I haven't heard that commentary but always thought Francey was one of us.

I always thought Francey was one of you as well. Given his performance during that Aberdeen v Celtic Cup Final, I think that he just hated any weegie team getting their come uppance from any devils from the North.

9 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

Who do we have Out of Contract during the summer?
If memory serves, there shouldn’t be many?

You’re right. I think Cerny, Rogers and Frank Ross were about the only ones that had first team games played.

Think Bryson signed on at least a two year deal.

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose. I have stolen this from The Red Final.

From a report by Cyril Horne in the Glasgow Herald following the Scottish Cup Final Of 1954 between Aberdeen and Celtic, which Celtic won 2-1.

”What Aberdeen think of Glasgow must be easy to imagine. A fortnight ago (at the semi) they had the Union Jack and accompanying barrage of allegedly patriotic noise, and now they get the Tricolour and it’s comparable inanity......Aberdeen have retired to the North, perhaps reflecting that the air up there is cleaner and, even without the Scottish Cup, it is a better place.”

That was written 66 years ago!