The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, RussellAnderson said:

If can get even half that, it’ll be Lee Miller scale daylight robbery from us

Ha, thats bizarre R.A, but that is exactly what I thought of as well when I first heard of this alleged interest and fee expected.

Edited by Sheep62

Ha, thats bizarre R.A, but that is exactly what I thought of as well when I first heard of this alleged interest and fee expected.

Haha! The classic case of us getting a much bigger fee than we should have. There’ll be nothing in it. Can you imagine how shite he’d be in big physical League 1?!

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Indeed. Only a fucking idiot would do that.

Must have been reported at the time as "undisclosed fee" to save the embarassment of all parties involved ;)

Edited by Sheep62

16 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

Must have been reported at the time as "undisclosed fee" to save the embarassment of all parties involved ;)

Just checked the accounts to see if I'd remembered correctly. Saw an old P&J article suggesting a £350k fee. 

The accounts suggest the figure was probably much lower than the £400k I mentioned. £379k gain combined for Foster, Aluko and Grimmer. Aluko was ~£25k iirc. Grimmer would have been development fee only as it was cross border, but still £50k ish? 

Edited by coprolite
Still, 50p would have been robbery

8 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Just checked the accounts to see if I'd remembered correctly. Saw an old P&J article suggesting a £350k fee. 

The accounts suggest the figure was probably much lower than the £400k I mentioned. £379k gain combined for Foster, Aluko and Grimmer. Aluko was ~£25k iirc. Grimmer would have been development fee only as it was cross border, but still £50k ish? 

Might be completely wrong, but I have it in the back of my mind that fulham paid us circa £200k for Grimmer 

9 hours ago, A96 said:

Presumably it’s the style of football is the main similarity. 

Agreed. That was my last season as a season ticket holder before I moved away. The football was brutal, punt up to Lee Miller who was good at getting free kicks or flick ons for the dazzler to pounce on. The difference to now is there's nobody there to help Cosgrove, I had high hopes at the beginning of the season with the new signings but Mcinnes is far too restrictive on the creative players. 

21 hours ago, coprolite said:

We lack a cutting edge at the moment but that's about the only similarity I can see. What else are you thinking? 

The football on display. A manager making the same excuses after every performance and refusing to change things. A growing divide in the support.

McInnes is being too cautious after a couple of bad result. He needs to have more faith in his team and himself.

Guest Bob Mahelp
16 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

The football on display. A manager making the same excuses after every performance and refusing to change things. A growing divide in the support.

McInnes is being too cautious after a couple of bad result. He needs to have more faith in his team and himself.

It's the McInnes way, and has been ever since he came to Aberdeen. Around once or twice in a season we'll have a couple of bad results, then the team will grind out a hard-fought win, get a tricky away point, and then usually go on a run of narrow victories.

It's not always (or ever) pretty, but it's the reason for our consistently good league positions over the last 5 years. 

No way am I in the 'McInnes out' camp, but it does concern me that he has a Plan A...and that's it. We have one way of playing and each season the players that we have available have to try and adapt to that. It doesn't always work.

That said, we seem to be at a point just now where players look a bit scared to take on responsibility. What I saw on Saturday was Wilson disappearing out onto the wing, and the likes of Ferguson and Bryson holding back and refusing to commit to making forward runs to trouble defenders. We then a become a very easy team to play against and I really feel for big Sam up front on his own, dealing with a barrage of 40 yard long balls and trying to win knock downs for Aberdeen players that are nowhere near him.

Wilson needs a run of games through the middle. What’s the point in signing him, essentially a project player, and not giving him the opportunity to develop. If he continues to be used in this way, we’ll never know whether or not it was a good punt because he’ll fizzle out.

Stick him just behind Big Sam, play any two of McLennan, Hedges, McGinn and Gallagher out wide, any 2 of Ojo, Ferguson, Bryson behind them, and, well the back four just about picks itself each week given the injury issues we have.

Last year a 0-0 with Killie wouldn’t have been the worst result in the world. This year, it’s poor. Home to Ross County on Saturday. Bread and butter. The McInnes special. Just beat them. A win. All we need. Style can come later.

49 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I can see where you are coming from. 

I personally have more confidence in this team to gel and play well than Calderwood's last ensemble. 

Under caldo the midfield was awful. We were relying on Mark Kerr as a playmaker because he was playing alongside a ghost. Any creativity we did have in the team was from petulant inexperienced youngsters (Maguire and Aluko). IIRC Mackie was still our starting striker, and we had young and Duff as options from the bench. Severin was pretty much shot by then, and not a natural centre half. Mulgrew was quite good but never really gave a shit and Zander, well... 

The rest of the league gifted us 4th.

Nowadays, we're lacking confidence and a team with 4-5 new signings might need more time to gel. 

Del has his flaws but we have a much better squad. 

I can see the comparison in the type of issue, but not the degree. 

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's the McInnes way, and has been ever since he came to Aberdeen. Around once or twice in a season we'll have a couple of bad results, then the team will grind out a hard-fought win, get a tricky away point, and then usually go on a run of narrow victories.

It's not always (or ever) pretty, but it's the reason for our consistently good league positions over the last 5 years. 

No way am I in the 'McInnes out' camp, but it does concern me that he has a Plan A...and that's it. We have one way of playing and each season the players that we have available have to try and adapt to that. It doesn't always work.

That said, we seem to be at a point just now where players look a bit scared to take on responsibility. What I saw on Saturday was Wilson disappearing out onto the wing, and the likes of Ferguson and Bryson holding back and refusing to commit to making forward runs to trouble defenders. We then a become a very easy team to play against and I really feel for big Sam up front on his own, dealing with a barrage of 40 yard long balls and trying to win knock downs for Aberdeen players that are nowhere near him.

36 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I can see where you are coming from. 

I personally have more confidence in this team to gel and play well than Calderwood's last ensemble. 

Under caldo the midfield was awful. We were relying on Mark Kerr as a playmaker because he was playing alongside a ghost. Any creativity we did have in the team was from petulant inexperienced youngsters (Maguire and Aluko). IIRC Mackie was still our starting striker, and we had young and Duff as options from the bench. Severin was pretty much shot by then, and not a natural centre half. Mulgrew was quite good but never really gave a shit and Zander, well... 

The rest of the league gifted us 4th.

Nowadays, we're lacking confidence and a team with 4-5 new signings might need more time to gel. 

Del has his flaws but we have a much better squad. 

I can see the comparison in the type of issue, but not the degree. 

Yeah, both your posts are fair enough. I'm not screaming for Del to get his jotters but I wasn't for JC either.

We definitely have a better squad with a more professional attitude but the plan A and plan A only is stunting progression.

At one point on Saturday the red tv guys were talking about how much Alex Bruce was strolling it and could have the pipe and slippers looked out. He's an old fashioned defender like his old man. He'd have lapped that up all day. We had the players on the park to get the ball down and play but it just didn't happen.

His press comments are exasperating.
Basically “we need to play every game expecting to win, like the OF”
“Players need to understand this”

Ok Derek, so why do you so often set the team out NOT TO LOSE?

Is this a case of “don’t do what I do......”?

Lead by example Derek, LEAD!