The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

7 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I think the leadership thing is a red herring, in all honesty. Bryson started yesterday, hugely experienced professional and probably signed as Shinnie's replacement, but we looked lost and rudderless even with him on the park. Across the back we had Considine, a hugely experienced former club captain, McKenna, who has captained his country and deputised for us, and Logan, another experienced and vocal player. We then have the likes of Ojo, hundreds of senior games, and McGinn, another hugely experienced player with hundreds of games for us and over fifty international caps.

We shouldn't be short on outfield leaders, and I don't think the goalkeeper having the armband is, or should be, any sort of issue - the likes of Shinnie, Hayes, McLean and Rooney, for example, proved time and again that they could play a captain's role, including keeping at the officials, when Jack had it. 

Nobody was willing to take up the leadership role on Sunday though, when the shit was hitting the fan. 

Second half, 1-0 down, free kicks around the half way line and every c**t bar Lewis was sauntering up towards the opposition box.  Eventually somebody realised someone had to take the free kick.   Happened on more than one occasion.  Im not convinced with having a goalie as your captain in these situations as Lewis was 50 yards away from everyone.

Guest Bob Mahelp

At this moment in time, we're playing a 4-5-1 formation with Ojo just in front of the defence. The problem comes because a midfield of Ferguson/McGinn/Gallagher/Hedges don't actually know what they're meant to be doing. 

McInnes always wants players to hug the wings and try to come inside, but this means that McGinn and Hedges are disappearing from the game too often. Ferguson sits in the centre circle and for me needs to be pushing 20 yards further forward. Gallagher offers energy but given that he's a right back come utility player, it['s still hard to work out what he's there to do. 

All of this confusion in midfield means that Cosgrove has been left completely isolated and we simply haven't been able to create enough chances over the last 4 games. Our 'Plan A' of having everything going through Funjo has already been found out by the likes of St Mirren and Dundee, and we seem to have no Plan B.

It goes completely against the grain for McInnes, but he needs to start looking at 2 up front to give us a chance to actually create chances and to win games. Drop Gallagher to the bench and bring in Wilson. Switch the formation to a more traditional 4-4-2 and encourage Ferguson to stop playing so deep. 

Stop making it so feckin easy for teams to nullify us, and if it doesn't work, change it. 

10 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

All of this confusion in midfield means that Cosgrove has been left completely isolated and we simply haven't been able to create enough chances over the last 4 games. Our 'Plan A' of having everything going through Funjo has already been found out by the likes of St Mirren and Dundee, and we seem to have no Plan B.

It goes completely against the grain for McInnes, but he needs to start looking at 2 up front to give us a chance to actually create chances and to win games. Drop Gallagher to the bench and bring in Wilson. Switch the formation to a more traditional 4-4-2 and encourage Ferguson to stop playing so deep. 

Stop making it so feckin easy for teams to nullify us, and if it doesn't work, change it. 

I agree with this although we don't necessarily need to go 442, but I would get Wilson in possibly playing that more advanced midfield role, he'd naturally play closer to Sam and he's capable of drifting wide and allowing Mcginn/Hedges to come more central. He also offers a different type of threat.

I said it on Sunday we must be so easy to defend against, it's such a structured way of playing and we're really relying on something just falling for us. Especially when the build up play was so slow, Dundee must have been laughing.

18 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I think the leadership thing is a red herring, in all honesty. Bryson started yesterday, hugely experienced professional and probably signed as Shinnie's replacement, but we looked lost and rudderless even with him on the park.

You'd like to think Bryson will be our 'on park leader', but right now his priority is game time and getting his own fitness right, before he can dedicate too much time to inspiring those around him.

Hopefully in a few weeks we see the player we hoped we'd see, but it's sad that the Europa QR3 went with a whimper, when a guy like him could have been the difference in terms of making us less lacklustre and more streetwise.

To be fair to the f**ktard - these reports eminate out of Italy.

I never thought reports of The Rat going to Serie A were overly ludicrous at the time - he showed in the Groningen and Sociedad games that he was suited to the continental style of football.  

Big Sam, however, well I never......

1 minute ago, tarapoa said:

I never thought reports of The Rat going to Serie A were overly ludicrous at the time - he showed in the Groningen and Sociedad games that he was suited to the continental style of football.  

Perhaps. But not in the same fucking team as De Rossi and Nainggolan.

3 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

All teams are looking for goalscorers, and since December Sam Cosgrove has been phenomenal.

1 hour ago, NorthernLights said:

Zander Diamond to Atletico Madrid must push it close.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/3665238.stm

After Monaco hit the heights of the Champions League final, they immediately turned their attention to....Lee Wilkie

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11816/2324048/monaco-target-wilkie

2 minutes ago, harry94 said:

After Monaco hit the heights of the Champions League final, they immediately turned their attention to....Lee Wilkie

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11816/2324048/monaco-target-wilkie

"Scotland International Lee Wilkie"

Image result for del bosque gif

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

What's the most ridiculous transfer rumour involving an Aberdeen player?

Daily Record "reporting" that Lazio want Sam Cosgrove.

No idea about that, but my favourite most ridiculous post on P&B was you coming on here and saying McInnes has an awful record in signing strikers. 

1 hour ago, NorthernLights said:

Zander Diamond to Atletico Madrid must push it close.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aberdeen/3665238.stm

Christ had forgotten all about that.

"Personally, it has been great to see guys like Jaap Stam and Sami Hyypia move on to better things and I've no doubt it will happen for Zander too."

Fantastic quote above from JC.

A mere seven years later he did of course leave Aberdeen for the lofty heights of Oldham. At least we removed a cancer from our club when he left