Jump to content
Guest

The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2020/21

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Jmothecat2 said:

 

 


Yeah. Don't get me wrong I'm not thrilled about our struggles in the 'big games' and I think McInnes should shoulder some of the blame, but equally games outside of the top 3 we have a fantastic record. Hibs are a good side and we've beaten them twice this season already. Despite the poor record against the Glasgow teams Aberdeen are equal second and only 9 points off Celtic, having finished second 4 years running. Offered that under Brown or McGhee, Calderwood, Patterson or Skovdahl (the only Dons managers I can properly remember whilst supporting the club) I would have bitten your hand off. Against lesser opposition it feels very rare that we lose a game. McInnes has given me the best period of supporting the Dons since I started being old enough to support them properly. He has a lot of credit in the bank for me. Mathematically secured a top six place this season again.

 

 

I agree with all of this except us being joint second. Goal difference does count unfortunately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was fuming on Saturday.

But calling for mcinnes to be sacked is for wee bairns who need the ‘soap opera’ element of football to get their kicks.

Derek is still doing a grand job.

He will know better than any of us the big game record is a disgrace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering with hindsight. This was always going to be a transitional season and to expect large improvements when there was not much space for improving while losing much of our core team and rivals improving, we are doing as well as we could have reasonably expected at the start of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, the tungston weasel said:

Considering with hindsight. This was always going to be a transitional season and to expect large improvements when there was not much space for improving while losing much of our core team and rivals improving, we are doing as well as we could have reasonably expected at the start of the season.

Pretty much spot on.

We're equal second in the league with a Rangers team that have invested much more heavily in players than we have, and we're still in the cup with a fair shot at another semi-final.

The 'famine or a feast' complaints about McInnes come from the fact that rarely do we lose a game unluckily, or are edged out 2-1 or something....or even draw games.

Nope. We either win, or we lose spectacularly in some kind of complete shambles where the whole team loses the plot. That makes the defeats all the more noticeable and leads to knee-jerk criticism of McInnes.

The question we should be asking is, over the course of a season are we on an upward curve or are we getting progressively worse ?

Given the number of changes we've had to make in the last 6 months, I still believe we're improving.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Considering with hindsight. This was always going to be a transitional season and to expect large improvements when there was not much space for improving while losing much of our core team and rivals improving, we are doing as well as we could have reasonably expected at the start of the season.


It’s a good points haul so far, although I think it’d be a little bit more palatable if we’d taken points in some of the bigger games even it meant we dropped some in some of the others.

We probably wouldn’t have the bottlers tag then, and as a football fan it’s never fun being ripped for your team constantly shitting it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


It’s a good points haul so far, although I think it’d be a little bit more palatable if we’d taken points in some of the bigger games even it meant we dropped some in some of the others.

We probably wouldn’t have the bottlers tag then, and as a football fan it’s never fun being ripped for your team constantly shitting it.


I think that is part of it. The record against teams outside the rest of the top five has been good and pretty consistent. But the results that get noticed and more importantly the results that get the fans excited are those in the big games. Unquestionably we've not been good enough in these.

A big part of the issue is we have too many players this season who are shrinking violets. Thinking back particularly to the games against the OF, consistently GMS, Stewart, Christie, AOC and Considine go missing as they just don't have the battling qualities or temperament for it. Going back to last season and more pertinently the season before where we took Celtic at Pittodrie with 10 men and pumped them in the second one, players like McGinn, Hayes, Jack in the first one and Craig Storie in the second one stood up and were counted, had the character and fight. We lack that.

However Del is also not above criticism. Quite often in big games in his time, we've come up short and on a number of occasions this has been due to conservative tactics. Sitting off Rangers last season and this when you need to press high, consistently is baffling. The insistence on 3-5-2 when we simply don't have the players to play it is mental. And the loyalty to the players when they aren't standing up to be counted in these games is surprising.

Saturday was the time to give a proper rocket and criticise them highly. Instead we heard that this was out of character and that he couldn't be overly critical. Sadly it was very much in character this season and Del would have been well within his rights to call the players out publicly on this.

In no way am I calling for Del to go or anything stupid. However I do feel for him to reach his target of multiple trophies here, there needs to be an honest assessment of why we fail in big games as these are what is preventing him from reaching his goal. Part of the blame lies with players who are big game bottlers, part of it with his own tactical limitations.

Player wise he can only fix that through targeted recruitment of players like Barry Robson with big game character or to develop young lads with that. For his own tactical limitations, perhaps a new coach being added to the first team mix with some tactical advice for approaching big games would not be such a bad thing.

Whether "happy clapper" or "moaning b*****d", we all want to win. To do this, I think an honest and frank discussion is necessary and hopefully this post gets the ball rolling. All thoughts and solutions welcome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Considering with hindsight. This was always going to be a transitional season and to expect large improvements when there was not much space for improving while losing much of our core team and rivals improving, we are doing as well as we could have reasonably expected at the start of the season.



BUT given our record against the rest of the league. You can surely understand why we are frustrated at surrendering to “them” and where we could have been in the league with a bit more character, confidence and ambition.

And remember the LC humiliation at Fir Park.

So many “If only’s” with most of this squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good post.

I definitely think we lack leadership on the pitch, yes we’ve got Shinnie but Saturday was a prime example when he wasn’t present and the heads going down once we conceded. The rest of the team we don’t have many more obvious leaders - Lewis maybe, and McKenna one day, although he lacks experience for now. I’d like to think McInnes will take that into account for his summer recruitment drive.

We’re also hamstrung by players who aren’t really good enough for a team expected to brush past the lesser teams week in, week out and to compete in the big games. Consi , Reynolds (remember him) and AOC spring to mind. If we’ve hit a plateau and need a really push to get to the next level then there’s no room for sentiment. We shouldn’t be dreading anyone in the squad getting a game or wincing when we hear the team lines. Cheerio.

The gaffer is getting it in the neck at present, with some justification. I do think he changes things up in the bigger games too much. Changing to 3-5-2 worked once in a stuffy game v Partick last season, but since then? Nope.

The squad is a bit stale at the moment though. Few players who’ve been around maybe a bit too long (like the three aforementioned) who aren’t going to get any better, and replacing them with younger lads with a bit more potential is key. This season feels like a bit of a stop gap season given all the loans. Contrary to some of the chat I’ve seen though, I think the gaffer will relish the challenge of rebuilding again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

 


I think that is part of it. The record against teams outside the rest of the top five has been good and pretty consistent. But the results that get noticed and more importantly the results that get the fans excited are those in the big games. Unquestionably we've not been good enough in these.

A big part of the issue is we have too many players this season who are shrinking violets. Thinking back particularly to the games against the OF, consistently GMS, Stewart, Christie, AOC and Considine go missing as they just don't have the battling qualities or temperament for it. Going back to last season and more pertinently the season before where we took Celtic at Pittodrie with 10 men and pumped them in the second one, players like McGinn, Hayes, Jack in the first one and Craig Storie in the second one stood up and were counted, had the character and fight. We lack that.

However Del is also not above criticism. Quite often in big games in his time, we've come up short and on a number of occasions this has been due to conservative tactics. Sitting off Rangers last season and this when you need to press high, consistently is baffling. The insistence on 3-5-2 when we simply don't have the players to play it is mental. And the loyalty to the players when they aren't standing up to be counted in these games is surprising.

Saturday was the time to give a proper rocket and criticise them highly. Instead we heard that this was out of character and that he couldn't be overly critical. Sadly it was very much in character this season and Del would have been well within his rights to call the players out publicly on this.

In no way am I calling for Del to go or anything stupid. However I do feel for him to reach his target of multiple trophies here, there needs to be an honest assessment of why we fail in big games as these are what is preventing him from reaching his goal. Part of the blame lies with players who are big game bottlers, part of it with his own tactical limitations.

Player wise he can only fix that through targeted recruitment of players like Barry Robson with big game character or to develop young lads with that. For his own tactical limitations, perhaps a new coach being added to the first team mix with some tactical advice for approaching big games would not be such a bad thing.

Whether "happy clapper" or "moaning b*****d", we all want to win. To do this, I think an honest and frank discussion is necessary and hopefully this post gets the ball rolling. All thoughts and solutions welcome!

 

Brilliant post 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BucksburnDandy said:

 


I think that is part of it. The record against teams outside the rest of the top five has been good and pretty consistent. But the results that get noticed and more importantly the results that get the fans excited are those in the big games. Unquestionably we've not been good enough in these.

A big part of the issue is we have too many players this season who are shrinking violets. Thinking back particularly to the games against the OF, consistently GMS, Stewart, Christie, AOC and Considine go missing as they just don't have the battling qualities or temperament for it. Going back to last season and more pertinently the season before where we took Celtic at Pittodrie with 10 men and pumped them in the second one, players like McGinn, Hayes, Jack in the first one and Craig Storie in the second one stood up and were counted, had the character and fight. We lack that.

However Del is also not above criticism. Quite often in big games in his time, we've come up short and on a number of occasions this has been due to conservative tactics. Sitting off Rangers last season and this when you need to press high, consistently is baffling. The insistence on 3-5-2 when we simply don't have the players to play it is mental. And the loyalty to the players when they aren't standing up to be counted in these games is surprising.

Saturday was the time to give a proper rocket and criticise them highly. Instead we heard that this was out of character and that he couldn't be overly critical. Sadly it was very much in character this season and Del would have been well within his rights to call the players out publicly on this.

In no way am I calling for Del to go or anything stupid. However I do feel for him to reach his target of multiple trophies here, there needs to be an honest assessment of why we fail in big games as these are what is preventing him from reaching his goal. Part of the blame lies with players who are big game bottlers, part of it with his own tactical limitations.

Player wise he can only fix that through targeted recruitment of players like Barry Robson with big game character or to develop young lads with that. For his own tactical limitations, perhaps a new coach being added to the first team mix with some tactical advice for approaching big games would not be such a bad thing.

Whether "happy clapper" or "moaning b*****d", we all want to win. To do this, I think an honest and frank discussion is necessary and hopefully this post gets the ball rolling. All thoughts and solutions welcome!

 

Agree with the Barry Robson and add in Flood, Anderson and even Hayes as well. All guys who could deliver in the big games and turn it round its not going our way. Our current team can't handle any kind of adversity in a game. If we concede in a game of any magnitude then we never rally back. Guys like GMS, McLean etc are flat track bullies who are great when you're 2-0 up against a bottom six sided but they can't seem pull it off when playing in front of more than 15,000 people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Baldie1980 said:

Tony watt training with us supposedly

Being reported in papers. Apparently cannot sign until the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The funny thing about last Saturday's game  is that for all the talk that Aberdeen's problems in big games are being caused by McInnes bottling it and being too cautious, the implosion on Saturday was arguably caused by McInnes being (over) aggressive.

In the first half, McInnes congested the midfield and it was just about okay from an Aberdeen point of view, Hibs were maybe slightly shading a 0-0 game of few chances.

At half-time he changed Rooney for May (fair enough) but he also pushed up McGinn and Christie onto the Hibs back line, making the Aberdeen shape more like 3-4-3. Problem being that Hibs then had 3v2 in the centre of midfield and Scott Allan started receiving the ball in loads of space between the defence and midfield lines.

Granted, the 3-4-3 may have worked if you had Shinnie in there rather than Nwakali, but McInnes should have known that it would be a big ask of him and McLean to cope against the Hibs three.

 

Edited by JamesM82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JamesM82 said:

The funny thing about last Saturday's game  is that for all the talk that Aberdeen's problems in big games are being caused by McInnes bottling it and being too cautious, the implosion on Saturday was arguably caused by McInnes being (over) aggressive.

In the first half, McInnes congested the midfield and it was just about okay from an Aberdeen point of view, Hibs were maybe slightly shading a 0-0 game of few chances.

At half-time he changed Rooney for May (fair enough) but he also pushed up McGinn and Christie onto the Hibs back line, making the Aberdeen shape more like 3-4-3. Problem being that Hibs then had 3v2 in the centre of midfield and Scott Allan started receiving the ball in loads of space between the defence and midfield lines.

Granted, the 3-4-3 may have worked if you had Shinnie in there rather than Nwakali, but McInnes should have known that it would be a big ask of him and McLean to cope against the Hibs three.

 

Dat true dat.

The first half...while pretty uninspiring from both sides....was very even. Hibs never once looked like scoring (maybe one half chance).

Second half the arse fell out of us when we went a goal down quickly. But all we needed to do then was consolidate for 15 minutes and gradually begin to put a pretty pish Hibs defence under pressure.

Instead we flew around like headless chickens leaving vast gaps all over midfield.It couldn't have been easier for Hibs.

Who's to blame ? Not having Shinnie was crucial, but nobody seemed to want to take any personal responsibility and our tactical set-up seemed to confuse the players. As often happens, the absence of one player leads McInnes into re-shuffling everything, inevitably leading to a defeat.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watt's a classic case of bags of talent, shite attitude. Another Goodwillie, without the baggage that he brought.

If McInnes reckons he can get the best out of him, fair play. I'm not holding my breath.

Going on to this weekend, McInnes cannot play Rooney. We need to press Celtic. We need legs up the park. May, GMS, McGinn. A midfield three of McLean, Chidi and (reluctantly) probably Ball, and pick any back four, because they all have weaknesses. Logan Arnason McKenna and Consie for me, although he'll likely keep O'Connor. SHITEING it tbh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Watt's a classic case of bags of talent, shite attitude. Another Goodwillie, without the baggage that he brought.

If McInnes reckons he can get the best out of him, fair play. I'm not holding my breath.

Going on to this weekend, McInnes cannot play Rooney. We need to press Celtic. We need legs up the park. May, GMS, McGinn. A midfield three of McLean, Chidi and (reluctantly) probably Ball, and pick any back four, because they all have weaknesses. Logan Arnason McKenna and Consie for me, although he'll likely keep O'Connor. SHITEING it tbh


I seem to remember Hearts fans being mildly excited when he went to them but I literally cannot remember a single thing he did at Hearts or if he even played a game for them.

I am pretty resigned about the Celtic game. It's rare that I've gone into a game against Celtic and expected them to win, but often I go into games thinking we've a good chance. Right now I really don't. Hopefully I'll feel different once the weekend arrives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony Watt done an interview with Simon Ferry the other day and he said that Aberdeen tried to sign him when he left Celtic but he wanted out of Scotland so obviously a player that McInnes has liked for a while. He also didn't come across as a complete roaster which I found surprising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...