The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I think that is part of it. The record against teams outside the rest of the top five has been good and pretty consistent. But the results that get noticed and more importantly the results that get the fans excited are those in the big games. Unquestionably we've not been good enough in these.

A big part of the issue is we have too many players this season who are shrinking violets. Thinking back particularly to the games against the OF, consistently GMS, Stewart, Christie, AOC and Considine go missing as they just don't have the battling qualities or temperament for it. Going back to last season and more pertinently the season before where we took Celtic at Pittodrie with 10 men and pumped them in the second one, players like McGinn, Hayes, Jack in the first one and Craig Storie in the second one stood up and were counted, had the character and fight. We lack that.

However Del is also not above criticism. Quite often in big games in his time, we've come up short and on a number of occasions this has been due to conservative tactics. Sitting off Rangers last season and this when you need to press high, consistently is baffling. The insistence on 3-5-2 when we simply don't have the players to play it is mental. And the loyalty to the players when they aren't standing up to be counted in these games is surprising.

Saturday was the time to give a proper rocket and criticise them highly. Instead we heard that this was out of character and that he couldn't be overly critical. Sadly it was very much in character this season and Del would have been well within his rights to call the players out publicly on this.

In no way am I calling for Del to go or anything stupid. However I do feel for him to reach his target of multiple trophies here, there needs to be an honest assessment of why we fail in big games as these are what is preventing him from reaching his goal. Part of the blame lies with players who are big game bottlers, part of it with his own tactical limitations.

Player wise he can only fix that through targeted recruitment of players like Barry Robson with big game character or to develop young lads with that. For his own tactical limitations, perhaps a new coach being added to the first team mix with some tactical advice for approaching big games would not be such a bad thing.

Whether "happy clapper" or "moaning b*****d", we all want to win. To do this, I think an honest and frank discussion is necessary and hopefully this post gets the ball rolling. All thoughts and solutions welcome!

Most of what was said in this post applied again today, so to type it again would be somewhat wasteful. We do not learn lessons sadly.

9 hours ago, betting competition said:

Here is a positive: some celtic fans in the home end (south stand), celebrated the goal and got kicked to f**k

I think people are looking for positives that actually happened.

Decent effort though.

Just now, Romeo said:

So, never happened as described then?

I see your point.

But there were a few in the home end, they did celebrate Dembele's goal, and they did get more than a few verbals from the home fans.  'kicked to f**k' is a slight exaggeration though. 

Moving on, nothing to see here type post coming up.

Going to be in Glasgow on Wednesday with a couple of work colleagues and we want to take in the game at the Land That Time Forgot Stadium.

AFC website will only sell me one ticket.  Is there a pay at the gate option for away fans.

Is it worth contacting Murderwell direct etc.

Yours

aDONis

11 minutes ago, aDONisSheep said:

Moving on, nothing to see here type post coming up.

Going to be in Glasgow on Wednesday with a couple of work colleagues and we want to take in the game at the Land That Time Forgot Stadium.

AFC website will only sell me one ticket.  Is there a pay at the gate option for away fans.

Is it worth contacting Murderwell direct etc.

Yours

aDONis

Phone the ticket office I'm sure they will be happy to help you. I'm sure last time there was pay at the gate for both cup and league game. 

Here is the Fred -

Edited by betting competition

O'Connor cannot play in midfield anymore. He is horrendously one footed and slows down any play trying to move the ball. He can't play a first time pass and needs at least two touches before moving it on.

Honestly believe that Arnason, even with his lack of any pace, would be better playing in midfield than O'Connor.

7000 of the 'famous' for a Scott cup quarter final at home against a team you should beat during your best spell for thirty years and when the north east hasn't been hit by the weather nearly as bad as the rest of the country.

Total joke of a club, no wonder McInnes will leave as soon as a decent club comes in 

O'Connor cannot play in midfield anymore. He is horrendously one footed and slows down any play trying to move the ball. He can't play a first time pass and needs at least two touches before moving it on.
Honestly believe that Arnason, even with his lack of any pace, would be better playing in midfield than O'Connor.

Anymore?

He’s always been hopeless there

On 04/03/2018 at 18:01, Peppino Impastato said:

7000 of the 'famous' for a Scott cup quarter final at home against a team you should beat during your best spell for thirty years and when the north east hasn't been hit by the weather nearly as bad as the rest of the country.

Total joke of a club, no wonder McInnes will leave as soon as a decent club comes in 

Stick to the Diddy league like your silly wee team

28 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Mckenna signing a new deal to 2023 is the most positive thing to come out of the club in a while.

Didn't he just sign a new contract 4 months ago?