The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

11 hours ago, anotherchance said:

Abuse he gets off the support in general is pretty poor, invariably the first target for the whingers when things aren’t going well.

Same folk have had him going to Sevco for ages too.

I don't get the criticism of him as I think he is an excellent player who in the last 18 months has been great.  To think of it some of our fans wanted him never to play for Aberdeen once he announced he wasn't going to sign a new contract all because they thought he was going to Sevco.  

If it is true that he wants Aberdeen and St Mirren to get a fee for him rather than sign pre-contract agreement then that has to be applauded. I'm just happy he isn't going to one of our rivals like Hayes or Jack did.  

On a different subject I was looking at the St Mirren cup game from 7 years ago - check how bad this Aberdeen team was:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9421373.stm

I don't get the criticism of him as I think he is an excellent player who in the last 18 months has been great.  To think of it some of our fans wanted him never to play for Aberdeen once he announced he wasn't going to sign a new contract all because they thought he was going to Sevco.  
If it is true that he wants Aberdeen and St Mirren to get a fee for him rather than sign pre-contract agreement then that has to be applauded. I'm just happy he isn't going to one of our rivals like Hayes or Jack did.  
On a different subject I was looking at the St Mirren cup game from 7 years ago - check how bad this Aberdeen team was:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9421373.stm

Couple of decent players in there. Who is McNamee though? I've absolutely no recollection of him.

Damning indictment on alukos attitude at Aberdeen that he couldn’t get into that first XI.

Proper shitebag he was.

22 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Couple of decent players in there. Who is McNamee though? I've absolutely no recollection of him.

most of our teams from late 90s to 2013 had a couple of decent players. The problem was we also usually had 3-4 journeymen and some out and out shite.

Macnamee was in the journeyman category, as were most of our full backs over that period. I think I remember his name from sugardaddy era Livi? 

42 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Four caps according to wiki. Started well at Livingston iirc, then moved south and fell away to shite as per usual. Then came to us and was still shite. He seemed a bit better than that at the time given the torrid nature of our defence back then.

McLean's a good but not great player. He will need to add more goals and assists to his game in the Championship, and, to be honest, I don't think he will ever be Premier League standard, assuming that is where Norwich are wanting to go in the next couple of seasons. There is probably a case for saying that he is the most easily replaceable out of him, Jack and Shinnie, but I'm glad we are keeping him until the end of the season purely to avoid having to replace quite an important first team player at this stage. 

2 hours ago, betting competition said:

Was down at that game. Early KO on tv IIRC.

Langfield had a stormer. Most unlike him.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Much underrated player. Throughout Aberdeen's history the fans have needed a boo-boy and it's Kenny's bad luck that it's been him much of the time that's he's been at the club.

I think he's suffered from the fact that he was a goal scoring midfielder at St Mirren who became a holding midfielder at Pittodrie....supporters have always looked for him offering more of a threat than he generally has.

Outside Celtic, we have a far and away the best midfield in Scotland. Christie, Shinnie and McLean are a pretty powerful combination.

I'd much rather have Kenny McLean than the seriously overrated John McGinn. I think we'll miss him when he leaves.

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Much underrated player. Throughout Aberdeen's history the fans have needed a boo-boy and it's Kenny's bad luck that it's been him much of the time that's he's been at the club.

I think he's suffered from the fact that he was a goal scoring midfielder at St Mirren who became a holding midfielder at Pittodrie....supporters have always looked for him offering more of a threat than he generally has.

Outside Celtic, we have a far and away the best midfield in Scotland. Christie, Shinnie and McLean are a pretty powerful combination.

I'd much rather have Kenny McLean than the seriously overrated John McGinn. I think we'll miss him when he leaves.

Absolutely we'll miss him.

I do think he could have produced more in his time here but given the black and white nature of football fans that seems to have been license to brand him as shite.  He was absolutely outstanding in the 2nd half of last season and has shown glimpses of his ability this season.

The general consensus that he'd end up at Rangers  has clearly not helped his cause.  As a support we don't half shoot ourselves in the foot in pushing our best players out the door if they dare contemplate a move away.

I hope he does well at Norwich, good club with a good support.  I fear he may end up back in Scotland on loan before long though.

McLean definitely gets some unfair stick. He probably should score and assist more goals but when he plays well, the whole team seems to perform better, which shouldn't be overlooked.

Good stuff to get a fee and keep him when most were resigned to a repeat of the Jack situation.

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Nice statement from the Dons. 

Hopefully it'll keep the boo-boys off Kenny's back for the next 5 months.