The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

7 hours ago, tarapoa said:

He previously played for PTT Rayong - just down the coast from Bangkok/ Pattaya.   People actually get paid to play football there?! - he'll probably be like a rat up a drainpipe if that's on offer........especially after spending a prolonged lockdown in a wilderness of concrete and roundabouts.

From the sounds of it he was on 10k+ over there, and has a higher offer on the table from China. If he goes to Aberdeen you'll end up paying a fee for him, who knows how much.

This season has been about him getting fit as he hadn't played for about a year. Now that he's fit he looks like a really solid player and had 4 in 3 games recently. I'd reckon he'd easily get 15 goals next season if he was still about

4 hours ago, Rodhull said:

That's Marley Watkins confirmed as released by Bristol.

Even though I am sceptical about the whole bringing players back thing - if he had not got injured in that perfectly fair tackle by the magnificent Scott Brown and hung around all season, we would almost certainly be wanting him to stay based on the three months of evidence in what he could bring to the side. 

Edited by tarapoa

Watkins would be good business. As would Marvin Johnson if indeed we have offered him a deal.

I'm not overly enthused about the prospect of JET signing. I think its paper talk and nothing more. He supposedly has lucrative offers (10k a week) from Asia. Devante Cole would be a preferable option. 

Leigh Griffiths would be a tremendous signing and statement of intent by the club.

Robertson may shock us all and turn out to be a good player. He's certainly got a fair few clubs that are chasing his signature. Its looking increasingly likely he'll partner Gallagher next season.

Hendry, Kamberi and Hornby can all leave alongside all those currently out of contract next month.

11 hours ago, highland_mechanic said:

Still think McInnes only did that as a GIRUY as he already knew he was on his way out as manager.

Glass watching McLennan and realising that McInnes extended his contract only weeks before being sacked:

Foisted Larry David GIF - Foisted LarryDavid Damn - Discover & Share GIFs

Not really seeing the point in the uproar at Robertson potentially being signed. It's not an exciting signing but with potentially 10 or more players going to be coming in over the next couple of months not all of them are going to be.

He wasn't impressive in his spell with us before but has gone on to play close to 200 games at the English championship/league 1 level so he's probably not worse than the majority of players in our recent squads. I also seriously doubt many of those moaning have seen many of his performances over the years either. Blackpool and Rotherham games aren't exactly regulars on the TV.

FWIW it seems like Callum Hendry is definitely returning to us in the Summer. Manager says you paid a "small fee" to loan him, but there's never been any discussions at all about it turning into a permanent move.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW it seems like Callum Hendry is definitely returning to us in the Summer. Manager says you paid a "small fee" to loan him, but there's never been any discussions at all about it turning into a permanent move.

Good. 

He has some good attributes but doesn't show enough of them consistently. Also his miss against Hibs was shocking. 

I can sort of see why we took a punt on him but can also see why he's down your pecking order. 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

Good. 

He has some good attributes but doesn't show enough of them consistently. Also his miss against Hibs was shocking. 

I can sort of see why we took a punt on him but can also see why he's down your pecking order. 

Think it's a move that's worked well for everyone except him, really.

Him leaving bumped Melamed closet to the first team which was vital for us, he scored a couple of goals for you lot, but now he doesn't really fit at either club and didn't really rediscover any form.

Big pre-season for him.

11 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Good. 

I dunno if I'd say 'good'. 

Glass sounded like he's interested in at least one of the loanees. If it's not Hendry then...

Just now, Merkland Red said:

I dunno if I'd say 'good'. 

Glass sounded like he's interested in at least one of the loanees. If it's not Hendry then...

I don't dislike him or think he's shite. I just think he's not quite good enough. I also think that about Kamberi. Haven't seen enough of Hornby to have a fair view. Hopefully he's just said that to keep them interested. 

Thought Hendry did really well against Celtic - and at least has notched three goals.

His Hibs miss was a major negative turning point in people’s minds - and he was another that simply didn’t show up for the QF calamity.

If he was back as a squad player, it wouldn’t be the worst - but I’d be keen to know if Glass is interested and/or there’s any chance of getting Watkins.

On the assumption we'll be bringing in 3 strikers over the summer i'd hope if either Hendry or Anderson is coming in they'd be as the 3rd choice striker. Signing both would not inspire confidence and seeing as we're seemingly already talking with Anderson it looks like it'll be him.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Anderson is suited to the way we're trying to play but I still think we need someone beside him.

Is he good enough to build a team around? I don't think so. As a third choice striker? Probably but I don't think he wants that.

I would guess if he does sign it'll just be a relatively short term deal and if he doesn't get a game this season he'll be away. I suppose that could be a risk for Aberdeen too where he could potentially have a breakout season and leave ala Chris Maguire.

It's hard to see it though. Much as we'd all like to see it I don't think he'll ever get a regular run of games for us or be a 10+ goal a season striker for the club.

1 minute ago, CCB19035 said:

He missed a very good chance in the QF IIRC. 

Never good enough. 

From what I remember he was involved in two big chances being missed early on. One was more a case of should have laid it off to the open man instead of shooting but still. It was obviously very, very down hill after that.

On Robertson, I will confess to not being objective on it. 

My memory is of him being pretty pish in his first stint. I understand he’s carved out a reasonable career for himself since but I’ve not seen him play at all and his unashamed loyalties prevent me from giving him the benefit of the doubt currently. 

I remember him being bang average and lightweight with us being he’s had pretty decent reviews down south

Does he still play left back?

I imagine he’d start as first choice LB with Jack McKenzie pushing him 

Not every signing is going to knock our socks off, our fans are utter c***s on Twitter at times for pre-judging 

3 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

I remember him being bang average and lightweight with us being he’s had pretty decent reviews down south

Not every signing is going to knock our socks off, our fans are utter c***s on Twitter at times for pre-judging 

Think he’s possible more of a centre half these days but could be wrong 

5 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Signing a player who was rubbish in his first spell with us and is well known for his Rangers supporting loyalty is hardly going to be popular with most Aberdeen fans

Edited by highland_mechanic