The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth mentioning we only won 2 games in our first 3 months under Davidson, and that's turned out alright.

Managers need time, and will make mistakes, early on. Glass' fate will lie in whether he's able to learn from those mistakes and adapt, nobody has any idea how that'll go yet.

And Davidson was still getting a bit of stick from Saints fans after losing to us a few weeks back. That loss is, I think, Saints only defeat in  their last 10 games?

41 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don’t think it’s actually fair to make that the minimum requirement in season 1. We’re talking about a total overhaul of the squad and way of playing. 

I think people need to be realistic about what kind of consistency of results/performance we can achieve in the early days. 

Surely Glass deserves 3/4 windows and therefore 2 seasons to get somewhere near where he wants to be with the team?

2 hours ago, big al said:

Surely Glass deserves 3/4 windows and therefore 2 seasons to get somewhere near where he wants to be with the team?

I think so. I might change my mind if next season is an unmitigated disaster, but you don't take an inexperienced manager like Glass in and not give him time. I think Cormack will have accepted that when he decided to appoint him, in fairness. I have a feeling that next season will be quite erratic in terms of results and performances. 

11 hours ago, big al said:

I would bring that timeframe forward a bit. This summer window is unlike most other windows given the number of players out of contract, Glass can effect a pretty drastic overhaul of the squad immediately - whole new forward line and most of a defence. It's the midfield that he's kind of overloaded with, but there's scope for a change or two there. 

This summer window and then the January window should really see him with a vastly overhauled squad that is made up predominantly of his own recruits and youngsters that he rates going forward.

Guest Bob Mahelp

In a perfect world, Glass would get at least 2 seasons to develop his own side. 

But football doesn't work that way. Say what you like about McInnes, but he left us with high expectations of what the club should be achieving. We've become used to fighting it out at the top of the league and getting to Hampden regularly. 

Say we were to sit mid-table for most of next season....with the like of St Johnstone, the Arabs and Killie above us....and say we got knocked out of both cups early, how understanding do you think the support will be ? Do you think fans will turn around and say 'ach, it's OK, he needs time..' ?

Sadly for Glass, part of the fun of taking on the Aberdeen manager's job is being able to cope with the expectation and pressure of being able to hit the ground running.  

Luckily for him though, Aberdeen fans are renowned for our patience....

Edited by Bob Mahelp

37 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

But football doesn't work that way. Say what you like about McInnes, but he left us with high expectations of what the club should be achieving. We've become used to fighting it out at the top of the league and getting to Hampden regularly. 

Say we were to sit mid-table for most of next season....with the like of St Johnstone, the Arabs and Killie above us....and say we got knocked out of both cups early, how understanding do you think the support will be ? Do you think fans will turn around and say 'ach, it's OK, he needs time..' ?

Sadly for Glass, part of the fun of taking on the Aberdeen manager's job is being able to cope with the expectation and pressure of being able to hit the ground running.  

It kind of falls into the 'within reason' category of my previous post.

I think if we were mid table then a lot would come down to performances and being able to see a clear progression in what he's trying to do. My fear is that Sunday's performance will be repeated a few times next season. There are plenty Scottish sides who will play an effective pressing game and exploit us if we get spooked trying to play a high risk strategy. Scottish football has a history of making a mockery of insistence on playing out from the back.

This is why recruitment is so, so key. If we're going to play a certain style regardless of personnel then it can get quite messy if recruitment is bad. One thing about Mcinnes is that when he fucked up recruitment (and he did), he'd just set us up in a way that we'd squeak enough results to achieve the bare minimum.

ETA - Did Mcghee not get pretty much a free pass in his first season? Pretty horrendous season and finished 9th or something.

Edited by Dons_1988

2 hours ago, Hauzen said:

I would bring that timeframe forward a bit. This summer window is unlike most other windows given the number of players out of contract, Glass can effect a pretty drastic overhaul of the squad immediately - whole new forward line and most of a defence. It's the midfield that he's kind of overloaded with, but there's scope for a change or two there. 

This summer window and then the January window should really see him with a vastly overhauled squad that is made up predominantly of his own recruits and youngsters that he rates going forward.

I get what you are saying. However, the players required aren’t always available at the first or 2nd opportunities. It takes time to build the right team.

It also takes time to bring on the youngsters, and for Aberdeen to be successful a few youngsters will be needed in the team for sure. Never going to ‘out sign’ the arse cheeks to win trophies so need a good core to come through from the youths.

23 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I get what you are saying, and the fans patience won’t last.

To get it right in the first season though would require a huge amount of luck.

If Aberdeen managers are only given a season to be successful, it will be a constant revolving door of them. 
Next! 🤣

1 minute ago, CCB19035 said:

Not with the same group of players. 

The next few games could be rough but we should look more like a team the first game of next season. 

With Considine and Hoban at the back with no pace you saw that exposed at the weekend,Ross and Ramsay is a positive.

4 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Considine will probably be a squad player in his last year, and I imagine Hoban will be away, which is actually a good thing on his current form and his clear lack of ability on the ball. 

Im not at all stressed about Glass' appointment. Right now the process is seeing who can play the way he wants, and who canna. Saturday showed many can't, especially the defenders. 

I'm excited to see who he brings in Scott Brown being at the club is a huge plus in terms of recruitment. 

Brown will protect the back line plus he needs runners off him to start an attack and create but he also needs pace behind him to cover the ground he can't.
I think Campbell will develop his positional sense with brown.

13 hours ago, CCB19035 said:

Yeah, Brown can only be a good thing. He'll drop between the defenders and take the ball as well, will be weird as f**k seeing him in a dons shirt!

New to this and about to register so not sure if this has been posted or not before....

I don't see Brown as the charging attacking force he was with Celtic - he just doesn't have the legs for it any more. However, what I do see him as is a leader who can direct the play on the pitch just by his presence, and as a character who players will listen to. He also reads the game well, so for me he's more likely to play either just in front of the back four, or potentially even just behind in an 'old-fashioned' sweeper-type role.