The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

5 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Hmmm, I've rarely seen any manager get a free pass when results are unfavourable.  I hope he gets time but the circumstances of his arrival (close friendship of Cormack, the removal of a manager favourable to the media and considered to be a success, and no evidence of managerial ability on his CV) means the media will be watching him closely from the off...

To the extent that the press is interested in Aberdeen, you're probably right. I'd hope our fans were a bit more level headed though. 

3 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

We may be in general but to say that about Utd’s performance yesterday does you no favours.

I gave United credit in the match thread. You were good.

That being said, it was a home tie against a bottom 6 side. Losing 3-0 (going on 5 or 6) is totally unacceptable and Glass knows that.

Oh and don't be so sensitive.

22 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Hornby on the bench- 0 goals. 

Ross on the bench- Experience in the Scottish championship, and a handful of first team appearances for us. 

Everyone else bar Lewis, were untested teenagers. 

He didn't have great options, but he probably should've changed it, I agree. 

He did have Mcgeough, and Campbell looked like he was shiteing himself from about 15 minutes in.  McLennan was on the teamline too but has been shite recently so probably wouldn't have helped. 

But that's not a lot of options. 

34 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Hornby on the bench- 0 goals. 

Ross on the bench- Experience in the Scottish championship, and a handful of first team appearances for us. 

Everyone else bar Lewis, were untested teenagers. 

He didn't have great options, but he probably should've changed it, I agree. 

Not a lot of choices on the bench granted but an attempt at changing shape would have helped.  You’d hope someone would have advised him that playing out from the back (without exception) is a failed Yogi Hughes tactic that never works at this level.

He did have Mcgeough, and Campbell looked like he was shiteing himself from about 15 minutes in.  McLennan was on the teamline too but has been shite recently so probably wouldn't have helped. 
But that's not a lot of options. 
I thought McGeouch steadied the ship against Celtic when he came on, and would have been an obvious one, as Campbell was struggling badly.
McLennan - yes, he has been dreadful recently - but is fast enough and physical to provide an out-ball. There weren't many options - but watching that first half unfold and doing nothing was also strange.  Considine in his interview suggested they had three chances and took them - no Andy, there was a point some of us were looking at prices for 0-6 and 0-7 such was the dominance. 

3 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I thought McGeouch steadied the ship against Celtic when he came on, and would have been an obvious one, as Campbell was struggling badly.

McLennan - yes, he has been dreadful yesterday - but is fast enough and physical to provide an out-ball. There weren't many options - but watching that first half unfold and doing nothing was also strange.  Considine in his interview suggested they had three chances and took them - no Andy, there was a point some of us were looking at prices for 0-6 and 0-7 such was the dominance. 

I would absolutely have brought Mcgeough on at HT. I was pretty surprised he did nothing.

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It was me who brought up the McGhee comparison. I wasn't comparing Glass with that idiot, I was meaning that there was a similarity in the game yesterday to McGhee's first game in charge against Sigma Olomouc. 

It was the same kind of shambolic nonsense with players starting out of position and looking like they'd never met each other before. 

I believe that Glass will be a better manager for the club than McGhee. Anybody would be. 

Not you. I meant the fans of other clubs on the forum bringing up McGhee and calling it a similar situation.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Not you. I meant the fans of other clubs on the forum bringing up McGhee and calling it a similar situation.

There are a lot of similarities in the end of JC's and DM's tenure and both were relatively successful over their time.

Extending the analogy to cover Glass and McGhee is nothing more than wishful thinking on their part. They want us to fail. 

1 hour ago, CCB19035 said:

We shouldn't even be having the discussion about whether or not he's the right man for the job until he oversees his first full season, with all the things I listed above in place. 

Yesterday was a disappointing result, but our team can't manage 300 minutes of football in a week, that's not Glass' fault, he's only been in the door two weeks. 

You're quoting me so I'll clarify that I'm not questioning whether he's the right man for the job...yet...all I'm saying is that it's an ominous start and one that will, rightly or wrongly, place him under immediate pressure.

As for that second point, he could've managed his squad better if 300 minutes of football was going to be a problem. He should've been considering that the United match could go to 120 minutes too. The Cup was the priority, so why not use the Celtic match to rest a couple of the older guys?

Which brings me onto Mikey Devlin? Where the f@ck is he? I thought it was McInnes he fell out with...

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I would absolutely have brought Mcgeough on at HT. I was pretty surprised he did nothing.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one screaming at the TV for McGeough to be brought on after 20 minutes. 

The first warning sign appeared the very first time that United broke forward and Hoban allowed Shankland (I think) to march 20 yards with the ball into the box. He blocked the shot,  but it was pretty obvious that they were able to pour forward at will. 

Anyone who has watched us this season....and Glass isn't one....would have recognised the rising signs of panic as Ferguson and Campbell got overwhelmed and as Hayes got caught out of position. We desperately needed McGeough to be brought on. 

It is worrying that Glass stood and watched that and did nothing for 60 minutes. 

37 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm sure I wasn't the only one screaming at the TV for McGeough to be brought on after 20 minutes. 

The first warning sign appeared the very first time that United broke forward and Hoban allowed Shankland (I think) to march 20 yards with the ball into the box. He blocked the shot,  but it was pretty obvious that they were able to pour forward at will. 

Anyone who has watched us this season....and Glass isn't one....would have recognised the rising signs of panic as Ferguson and Campbell got overwhelmed and as Hayes got caught out of position. We desperately needed McGeough to be brought on. 

It is worrying that Glass stood and watched that and did nothing for 60 minutes. 

Aye, the 'in-game management' is one of the few elements of Glass we can start to assess at this point and he didn't cover himself in glory there. I would have thought that at half time he would address the fact that United were completely swamping our game plan and we were on our way out.

Conversely, I liked what he did on Wednesday night to steady us in the second half when he brought Hendry off and put an extra man into the midfield.

47 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I think we're looking too much in to it. At times this season we were wondering why McInnes waited until it was too late to make substitutions etc.

Note sure we are? 

As long as it’s seen with appropriate perspective it’s a perfectly legitimate assessment to make, as it was when mcinnes did it. Much more so than any over arching conclusions on his style of play or performance as manager so far on the whole. 

48 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Note sure we are? 

As long as it’s seen with appropriate perspective it’s a perfectly legitimate assessment to make, as it was when mcinnes did it. Much more so than any over arching conclusions on his style of play or performance as manager so far on the whole. 

He was taking some advice from a mentor he had employed.....

image.png.2ceca3e9449db6804b31d5862761d0dd.png

Worth mentioning we only won 2 games in our first 3 months under Davidson, and that's turned out alright.

Managers need time, and will make mistakes, early on. Glass' fate will lie in whether he's able to learn from those mistakes and adapt, nobody has any idea how that'll go yet.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth mentioning we only won 2 games in our first 3 months under Davidson, and that's turned out alright.

Managers need time, and will make mistakes, early on. Glass' fate will lie in whether he's able to learn from those mistakes and adapt, nobody has any idea how that'll go yet.

Absolutely. Assessing what he did yesterday shouldn’t be misconstrued as me drawing any definitive conclusions on him as a manager whatsoever. Just talking shite about football really. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
57 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't disagree with that, but with all respect there's more expectation at Aberdeen than at St Johnstone. 

Davidson has the benefit of Saints fans being pretty satisfied with 6th place or there abouts. A cup win or even a decent cup run is a massive added bonus. Even if you had been knocked out last night Saints fans would be pretty delighted with this season. 

Glass won't get that leeway. If we don't hit the ground running in August then the pressure on him will ramp up pretty quickly.  The minimum expected from Glass is 3rd in the league, at least one cup final,  to be competitive in games against the OF, and oh aye... improved, more entertaining football. 

There's a lot of (justified) criticism of the last months of McInnes' time at Pittodrie, but he set the bar pretty damn high. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I don't disagree with that, but with all respect there's more expectation at Aberdeen than at St Johnstone. 

Davidson has the benefit of Saints fans being pretty satisfied with 6th place or there abouts. A cup win or even a decent cup run is a massive added bonus. Even if you had been knocked out last night Saints fans would be pretty delighted with this season. 

Glass won't get that leeway. If we don't hit the ground running in August then the pressure on him will ramp up pretty quickly.  The minimum expected from Glass is 3rd in the league, at least one cup final,  to be competitive in games against the OF, and oh aye... improved, more entertaining football. 

There's a lot of (justified) criticism of the last months of McInnes' time at Pittodrie, but he set the bar pretty damn high. 

I don’t think it’s actually fair to make that the minimum requirement in season 1. We’re talking about a total overhaul of the squad and way of playing. 

I think people need to be realistic about what kind of consistency of results/performance we can achieve in the early days.