The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

52 minutes ago, coprolite said:

At least we're not hard to beat anymore. That shit was boring. 

Maybe Atlanta will have a couple of tasty latinos that can play out bonnie from the back, have the pace to cover half the pitch and handle the physical onslaught of a windswept November Tuesday night at Fir Park.  We live in hope.   (actually don't we have one of them to return to us at right-back at some point?).

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Calling it 'spewing' if you like, and today I was close to it.

My observation is that at a lot of dandies took the relative defensive solidity of the previous regime for granted - and it's just a concern that it can so easily go back to the days of sides (other than just the gruesomes) coming up to Pittodrie and winning easily.

Today reminded me of some of those eras (I had to do a double take that I wasn't watching Grassi and Ifil - or Whyte and Solberg).

The players had no idea what they were doing, we left slow defenders exposed with full-backs caught of position, failed to use the squad effectively (if fatigue was an issue) and our bottom six opponents looked like they could score at will.  Today was such an important match and it was a total self-destruction. United played well, but we made it so easy for them.

I'm all for changing the style, but Rome wasn't built in a day - an element of pragmatism based on personnel available surely needed to be considered, especially given the importance of this match.  Agree that some of these players are lost causes - and it's hard to make a case for any of the out of contract players after today. Kennedy clearly has the heart of a pea.

The result from Ibrox tonight just cements the pain of another opportunity blown................but in a strange way makes me less annoyed that we threw away third place, with Hibs fans rightly observing is now as much use as Anne Frank's drum kit.

I agree with this.

I was a McInnes fan but  I do think a management change was the right time. Wasn't impressed with the appointment of Glass but he has my full backing. After today I do have my doubts with Glass as he went on about the players being tired on RedTV but he didn't make a sub till the 62 minute. He should have been making a sub/formation change before United got their 2nd. 

Massive rebuild but Glass should get time as the new team will takes awhile to settle. Lets hope he gets recruitment more right than wrong

Edited by betting competition

Guest Bob Mahelp
10 hours ago, Highloon said:

Agree, we have a lack of ability, but Kamberi should have been removed. Kamberi showed no technical ability. He was responsible for losing the ball at the first goal and did not track back.  He appeared weak as piss, was constantly bullied, and unable to hold the ball up. 

Bizzarely, we wanted to Kamberi yesterday to play the role of a right midfielder who gave support to Ramsey, but also to get up the park as a right winger, and I presume support Hendry and try and create and score goals. 

Given that he was apparently signed as a striker, to presumably score goals, he must be wondering what the f**k he's doing at Pittodrie having to chase United midfielders back to the corner flag. 

What a joke. I agree that Glass has been left with a paper thin squad, but there was a touch of the McGhee's about yesterday.........players stumbling around wondering what they were meant to be doing. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

7 hours ago, betting competition said:

I agree with this.

I was a McInnes fan but  I do think a management change was the right time. Wasn't impressed with the appointment of Glass but he has my full backing. After today I do have my doubts with Glass as he went on about the players being tired on RedTV but he didn't make a sub till the 62 minute. He should have been making a sub/formation change before United got their 2nd. 

Massive rebuild but Glass should get time as the new team will takes awhile to settle. Lets hope he gets recruitment more right than wrong

I knew after watching for 15 minutes that we were losing that game. (And I'm no tactical genius.)

13 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Folk who were dead set against the change from the beginning with the knives out for Glass already. They should at least give him the courtesy of a summer to get his own players in and give him a proper chance to coach them to play the way he wants us to play. 

I've also seen avid "McInnes-out"ers on twitter claiming that we wouldn't have lost that game with Derek in charge. The mind boggles.

1 minute ago, CCB19035 said:

Glass getting an unfair ride of it at the moment, IMO. Derek left him an incredibly limited squad.

And Glass' post match comments (and Cosgrove's quotes about training after he left) suggests he's been left an unfit squad too.

He's also working with a large number of players at the end of their contracts; combine that with the instability caused by change in management and I imagine there's a bit of an issue with team chemistry/mentality. I think it was Gary Woods' RedTV interview where he said he didn't even know where Michael Devlin was these days. 

This is roughly what we'll have left in the summer:

Lewis

Ramsay, Considine, MacKenzie, (Hernandez?)

Campbell, Ferguson, McGeouch, Hayes, Brown, McCrorie, Kennedy, (Ojo?)

Hedges, McLennan, Ruth

Hopefully soon we start to hear some pre-contract deals being signed, because we really really need new players.

32 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

We lost a fair few huge cup games to 0 under McInnes. There was a season we lost 3-0 to Motherwell twice in the cups.

Glass getting an unfair ride of it at the moment, IMO. Derek left him an incredibly limited squad.

He never lost a Scottish Cup tie at home (with Stenhousemuir probably coming closest).

We may well have lost the tie under the McInnes - the evidence was there in recent times.  However, I am not sure it would have been as easy as that.  I do recall him once losing 3-0 at home to United, three days after the Sociedad match. We weren't that bad and were on the front-foot most of the match, but Taylor made a mistake, but then we were picked off on the break........and that was a day less recovery where the 'tired' thing have been more valid (albeit still not League One part-time tired based on this season).

Yesterday, apart from 10 min flurries at the start of the both halves, the team looked woeful in every department - tactically, positionally, fitness, attitude...........whether that can be the catalyst for 'no fkin about' when it comes to the squad surgery needed, or an early indication of the naivete of a young management team trying to change too much too quickly, time will tell.  

Edited by tarapoa

10 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

He’s been in the job about two weeks. The squad is hopelessly unbalanced and just not very good. 

There will be plenty of time for backslapping and McGhee comparisons next season if we end up bottom six. 

I'll stick my neck out and say that we've seen enough to suggest that we're at least not in the same ballpark of total disaster that McGhee was. And Glass will get funded which McGhee didn't. 

12 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

He’s been in the job about two weeks. The squad is hopelessly unbalanced and just not very good. 

There will be plenty of time for backslapping and McGhee comparisons next season if we end up bottom six. 

Exactly.

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

I'll stick my neck out and say that we've seen enough to suggest that we're at least not in the same ballpark of total disaster that McGhee was. And Glass will get funded which McGhee didn't. 

McGhee was a strange one. He wasn't well funded as JC had wiped the budget and then the club panicked and let him sign shite players on decent wages (Grassi being one). If they'd originally given him that budget to start with then we may have done better.

The McGhee comparisons are wild anyway. We've a manager who wants to be here for a start.

8 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

The McGhee comparisons are wild anyway. We've a manager who wants to be here for a start.

Agree - Ian Cathro is a maybe a better shout.

Only joking - fully behind the new management team and the time to judge properly is well into next season - but the complete capitulation was a worry.  

Guest Bob Mahelp

It was me who brought up the McGhee comparison. I wasn't comparing Glass with that idiot, I was meaning that there was a similarity in the game yesterday to McGhee's first game in charge against Sigma Olomouc. 

It was the same kind of shambolic nonsense with players starting out of position and looking like they'd never met each other before. 

I believe that Glass will be a better manager for the club than McGhee. Anybody would be. 

One thing is for sure is that the pressure is now on Glass. Sunday's result is going to count against him big time if we go on a bad run of form. That why I was surprised that he didn't prioritise Sunday's game over the match against Celtic. However much we hear fans saying that they are prepared to give him time (and rightly so) , the goodwill will dissipate quite rapidly if we go on a poor run of form at the start of next season and the cup tie yesterday will be used as evidence against him. It's also the kind of result for a new manager that has the media vultures circling high above keeping a watching brief.

On a side note, I'm concerned about Allan Russell. It's based on nothing else but a gut feeling although he has been booked in the last two games, but I just didn't like his body language on the few glimpses we saw of him yesterday...

I think McGhee is a good example of what happens if you simultaneously de-fund the squad and try and introduce a higher risk way of playing football. 

For all mcinnes’ faults were qualifying for Europe despite being absolutely hopeless for 75% of the season. He was like the government bond investment of Scottish football. Low risk and steady returns.

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious recruitment is going to be absolutely crucial if this is all going to work out for glass. Yesterday was a prime example of what happens if you set up in a high risk manner, apply absolutely no competence to the performance and you come up against a well drilled, well motivated Scottish Premiership side.

14 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Everyone shitting the bed because Glass got beat with the worst Aberdeen side since 2012 is laughable. Most the players won't be there, we know that much. 

At the end of the day, it's a very poor result under the watch of Stephen Glass in a competition that the fans want to win . It will be used against him if required by those who wish to whether media or supporters. The danger is that it's leaving him less room for error. Three more unspectacular results at the end of this season, or a spectacularly bad one, then he'll be going into the start of next season with all eyes on him as the early season favourite  for the chop. And if the players start thinking your vulnerable, then finding good positive  results become problematic.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

1 minute ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

At the end of the day, it's a very poor result in a competition that the fans want to win under the watch of Stephen Glass. It will be used against him if required by those who wish to whether media or supporters. The danger is that it's leaving him less room for error. Three more unspectacular results at the end of this season, or a spectacularly bad one, then he'll be going into the start of next season with all eyes on him as the early season favourite  for the chop. And if the players start thinking your vulnerable, then finding good positive  results become problematic.

I disagree. He's pretty much got a free pass until he has his own signings on the park.

At the moment he's doing what he can with someone else's cast offs. 

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I disagree. He's pretty much got a free pass until he has his own signings on the park.

At the moment he's doing what he can with someone else's cast offs. 

Hmmm, I've rarely seen any manager get a free pass when results are unfavourable.  I hope he gets time but the circumstances of his arrival (close friendship of Cormack, the removal of a manager favourable to the media and considered to be a success, and no evidence of managerial ability on his CV) means the media will be watching him closely from the off...

He doesn't get a completely free pass and neither he should. I doubt he would even want one. A 3-0 Scottish Cup QF home defeat to a very average side is what it is. Pretty disgraceful.

Perspective and mitigating circumstances obviously required though.

I’m obviously going to be accused of a subjective opinion but something about the look of Glass in the dugout yesterday makes me think his appointment is going to be a disastrous one.  Flimsy evidence at best but I wonder if he is going to be the type of studious looking manager that thinks everything will end up ok if I don’t panic.