The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

13 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Which makes me wonder why S O'D did the same thing wth you guys?

As to Burns, he has some history with Hibs of "suggesting" we are after a player, they are signed by someone else, then runs a story that Hibs were "beaten to the punch" - happened at least twice and we have been told at AGMs etc that Hibs ended the interest in said player.

Dons fans reckon he is accurate with them, so maybe he has better contacts there.

I'd imagine that SOD signing up with us works on a number of levels - it's already been suggested on our thread that there's a fair chance he'll see a portion of the phree munney we get from UEFA in compensation for him being away with Scotland (€8000 per day apparently). If he doesn't have a club I doubt that compensation exists since it seems to be awarded to clubs.

Also, we're not the sort of club who will stand in his way if he gets a better offer over the summer as long as we get some sort of compensation - it's pretty much our business model. So in that case it's a win/win for everyone.

Edited by capt_oats

51 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Nah not sure I can agree. I've felt for a couple of season that a lot of his punts end up out for a throw or nowhere generally.

I'm maybe being harsh but I think we'd agree that him, Taylor and Considine exchanging passes a long our own 18 yard line is a good way to instigate a bowel movement. 

I genuinely that was a symptom of the team dallying on the ball and then giving it to Joe. The opposition were now all comfortable set in their positions and any long pass from the keeper becomes low percentage.

Agree with you on the three of them playing the ball about. It's a different story with the younger guys though. Campbell, Ramsay and MacKenzie are all very comfortable on the ball in tight spaces which is a testament to the coaching at youth level.

40 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Isn’t Scott Burns an Aberdeen fan?

Aye. There was folk on afc-chat who were at school with him.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I genuinely that was a symptom of the team dallying on the ball and then giving it to Joe. The opposition were now all comfortable set in their positions and any long pass from the keeper becomes low percentage.

Agree with you on the three of them playing the ball about. It's a different story with the younger guys though. Campbell, Ramsay and MacKenzie are all very comfortable on the ball in tight spaces which is a testament to the coaching at youth level.

Aye. There was folk on afc-chat who were at school with him.

Don't believe you, there's no way anyone on afc-chat ever went to school. 

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Nah not sure I can agree. I've felt for a couple of season that a lot of his punts end up out for a throw or nowhere generally.

I'm maybe being harsh but I think we'd agree that him, Taylor and Considine exchanging passes a long our own 18 yard line is a good way to instigate a bowel movement. 

Compared to Langfield, big Joe's passing is Pirlo-esque. I think he's pretty good at clearing it with both feet, I don't shite it when he receives the ball like I did for years with previous keepers. I agree though the combo of our current CBs and him passing across the goal is a bit nerve wracking.

33 minutes ago, Flammable sheep said:

Compared to Langfield, big Joe's passing is Pirlo-esque. I think he's pretty good at clearing it with both feet, I don't shite it when he receives the ball like I did for years with previous keepers. I agree though the combo of our current CBs and him passing across the goal is a bit nerve wracking.

I thought this was a given to be fair!

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Unless the story has been edited since you posted, the article only says that "Aberdeen are also keen on a move" for Gallagher. I don't think it'd be any surprise if he has an offer on the table but Burns doesn't explicitly say Aberdeen have offered him a contract.

Yeah I think the wording has been changed but who knows it was late, maybe I read into it more than was there.

34 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Yeah I think the wording has been changed but who knows it was late, maybe I read into it more than was there.

Aye, I mean I was just being a pedant. There's been plenty chat on your other forum that you've offered him a contract and it's a done deal etc.

39 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, I mean I was just being a pedant. There's been plenty chat on your other forum that you've offered him a contract and it's a done deal etc.

No doubt. Obviously even if terms have been offered I know there's a big difference between a contract being offered and it being deal done. I'm sure we've offered deals to plenty of players over the years that haven't ended up at the club.

3 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

No doubt. Obviously even if terms have been offered I know there's a big difference between a contract being offered and it being deal done. I'm sure we've offered deals to plenty of players over the years that haven't ended up at the club.

Usually got them on the 4th attempt though.

On 13/04/2021 at 15:36, Merkland Red said:

Usually I'd agree Jack but that's bacon.

Is that some sort of young folks' slang that we auldies dinna ken aboot? Or is it just "bacon"?

On 14/04/2021 at 09:28, G51 said:

The odds of Gallagher having a decent Euros must be fairly low given that Hanley looks to be the first choice middle CB now?

Tough to have a good Euros from the bench.

Escapes the flak when we get humiliated?