The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Does anyone have any numbers to hand about the number of times we've had a starting lineup containing both Main and Cosgrove? I just had a feeling that the win percentage when that happens would be quite low but I've not had the time to work though the data.

Was interested myself and had recently seen a fairly simple analysis technique for things like this, so just went through the out league games this season manually (like the massive nerd that I am) and in terms of goals when the partnership is on the pitch - averages at scoring 1 goal every 87 minutes and conceding 1 goal every 65.25 minutes. Only 261 minutes they have been on the pitch together though... so small sample but poor numbers.

For times they haven’t been both been on the pitch (so one or the other, or neither) it’s the reverse, we score 1 goal every 68 minutes and concede 1 goal every 89.5....

It’s a pretty simple method and doesn’t really get into performance and focussed more on outcome....and my data collection has been sloppy as I’ve missed a game somewhere and I don’t know which one. You could also argue things like imbalances in games against Rangers who are a much better team than the others in the league might make it unfair so should you should remove data from those games?

Hopefully this of interest to someone out there....

7 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

Does anyone have any numbers to hand about the number of times we've had a starting lineup containing both Main and Cosgrove? I just had a feeling that the win percentage when that happens would be quite low but I've not had the time to work though the data.

Since Cosgrove came back this season:

played 4 won 1 drew 1 lost 2 goals scored 1

On 17/01/2021 at 15:44, tarapoa said:

From what I saw yesterday, the last thing we need right now is Wright going anywhere.  I wouldn't necessarily think that if there were fans in the ground to get on his back - but if he is to leave, the moves made to mitigate that will likely determine if 3rd (and all the likely rewards) is still on or whether we're likely to plummet down the table in the weeks to come.

If fans were in the ground then I’d definitely have been getting rid in January. As it is I’d still be minded to do it out of principle (and also for the blood pressure of a large proportion of our support).

But... finishing third is a lot more important than getting say £200k off the McCrorie fee and, if he stays fit, we’re much more likely to finish third with him in the team.

Of course we should really be looking at second, but I think we’ve missed too many opportunities for that now.

Edited by AngusTheBull

15 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The Stoke thing just seems like a massive cliche.

Tabloid news room:

'Big lump of an English striker with a decent scoring record in Scotland, looking for a bigger move. Any interest in him? Not sure really...probably Stoke? Yeah, let's go with Stoke.'

Aye, it feels that way in my mind. 

However, Stoke are challenging for the play offs and have only scored 27 goals all season. I think Vokes and Fletcher have only scored four between them. There may be some substance but I just feel we'll end up seeing big Sam leave for nothing at the end of his contract.

5 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Keeping Wright is a much more viable option this year with no fans in the ground. his position in the would be untenable if he signed with them and was getting booed week in week out (by me). 

I don't believe we should boo a player just because they've signed a pre contract with Rangers. 

It's not specific or targeted enough. You need to chant "hunhunhunhun" instead.