The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

8 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

The fans that are scared of change need to get a grip. We may well go downhill initially and we may well go through a couple of managers until we find the right one but we need an injection of freshness around the club.

So you are proposing a few seasons of potentially struggling until the right manager comes along. And when he does what will he achieve, 3rd? 
Or are you saying the right manager will win the league?

7 minutes ago, big al said:

So you are proposing a few seasons of potentially struggling until the right manager comes along. And when he does what will he achieve, 3rd? 

Good point.

Although you will likely not get any reasoned answer from someone happy to admit he would take a few managers having us struggling back in the shite old days of the bottom 6 etc on the off chance someone can then do what Mcinnes keeps doing!

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

You must remember that Rangers fans need to feel like they're 'big time' so having a rivalry with a diddy club is clearly beneath them. They're a little bit sensitive to that so just play a long and tell them we're too wee.

Very true.

Especially the glory hunting ones born anywhere but Glasgow. It is literally all they have in their sad little lives.

6 minutes ago, big al said:

I'm proposing that it would be best for all if McInnes left in the summer before things go awry. 

Winning the league!? Heaven no, you've already mentioned that it's a duopoly. We're happy to finish 3rd and win the Scottish Cup once every 50 years. 

9 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

Good point.

Although you will likely not get any reasoned answer from someone happy to admit he would take a few managers having us struggling back in the shite old days of the bottom 6 etc on the off chance someone can then do what Mcinnes keeps doing!

So if they were shite old days are these magical ones Blockhead? 

I'm not advocating sacking him or want rid of him but there's nothing wrong with asking for more.

If there's any sense that he's not under any real pressure to deliver more then that's unhealthy for any club. I don't actually think that's the case, he's received pretty generous backing from Cormack who I doubt has Milne's undying love for the man.

A bit of perspective though in that we're really not having too bad a season (results/points wise) under difficult circumstances.

We are, however, going to go through another round of big changes in the first team this Summer so it is certainly worth exploring just how up for or hungry Mcinnes is for going through that challenge again. If he isn't then we're better to freshen it up.

8 hours ago, highland_mechanic said:

Sorry for the poor quality but this is the latest lists for the Europa League Final Qualifying Round (winner into Europa League group stage and loser into Conference League group stage) and the list for QR3 and QR4 of the Conference League. 

Looking at whom we may have to beat its preferable we are in the Europa League as I can't see us winning 2 rounds as an unseeded side in the Conference League.  

Hibs and Livingston fans may be interested in this list

20210111_130241.jpg

20210111_130027.jpg

100% the team in Europa will be in the Europa/ECL groups and the two teams in the ECL will be knocked out.

It's huge to get that spot and secure our finances for next season.

Suddenly we can be selling Cosgrove+Ferguson to cover the hole this season and we are safe to build for the next 5-10 years.

We f**k this chance up and we could be burdened by £5M-£10M of debt for another ten years.

10 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I'm not so sure, it makes me feel uncomfortable when we're in debt to them. McCrorie won't be here 5 years but I agree that we might make money on him. My problem is with McCrorie himself but the club he came from. I could be wrong, but I remember reading it was 50 years since we've signed a player from that neck of woods albeit a different club now (Jim Forrest I think). There was a reason for this, they were our rivals. Let's not start getting cosy with them now. That's why I don't want any of there benchwarmers coming up here either in the short-term or 'permanently' as part of the Wright deal. And let's get this deal completed and get Wright out the door asap.

The idea of taking players on loan or buying from the Ugly Sisters doesn't feel right. The Christie on loan deal was embarrassment too. No doubt someone will inform me that the Christie loan was brilliant because we nearly signed him. 

And what if Wright becomes an incredible bit of business for them? They liked Jack too, and they did us favour with McCrorie so are the going to start cherry-picking our players?

Those in charge of football clubs learn to put aside any kind of rivalry if they can strike a deal that is beneficial to them (to a certain extent - I don't imagine us ever doing business directly with Celtic).

Even your point about McCrorie highlights that it can be illogical. You seem to be of the opinion that he is a good player and you will make money on him, but you'd happily have missed out on that simply because of the team you got him from.

I'm not saying that opinion is wrong, as I'd certainly feel the same way if Rangers were to do a similar deal with Celtic, but I suppose my main point is that the decision makers will occasionally overlook any perceived rivalry to do what's best for the club.

I think Rangers have made steps towards building more professional relationships with other clubs recently. If we use Hibs as an example. After the whole Scott Allan fiasco, I would never have thought the club would be in any hurry to do business with Hibs, but since then we've loaned them a couple of players and brought in a loan player from them as well.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm not advocating sacking him or want rid of him but there's nothing wrong with asking for more.

If there's any sense that he's not under any real pressure to deliver more then that's unhealthy for any club. I don't actually think that's the case, he's received pretty generous backing from Cormack who I doubt has Milne's undying love for the man.

A bit of perspective though in that we're really not having too bad a season (results/points wise) under difficult circumstances.

We are, however, going to go through another round of big changes in the first team this Summer so it is certainly worth exploring just how up for or hungry Mcinnes is for going through that challenge again. If he isn't then we're better to freshen it up.

It looks from the outside that McInnes is under more pressure from Cormack than he ever was from Milne.

If I'm not mistaken he currently has less time left on his contract than ever before, so any compensation will be going down accordingly.

Also Cormack's promised football philosophy seemed like both a public rebuke for continually shitfesting and an instruction. It has looked like McInnes has tried to get more attractive football on the go, with some (limited) success. 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

It looks from the outside that McInnes is under more pressure from Cormack than he ever was from Milne.

If I'm not mistaken he currently has less time left on his contract than ever before, so any compensation will be going down accordingly.

Also Cormack's promised football philosophy seemed like both a public rebuke for continually shitfesting and an instruction. It has looked like McInnes has tried to get more attractive football on the go, with some (limited) success. 

Yea he's certainly never had 16 months left before and there will be no new contract this season

42 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Yeah I agree. Cormack is not an idiot and he will know the mood music around the club towards the end of last season and the declining ticket sales, never mind being constantly tagged on Twitter every time we didn't play well.

He knows what he's got with Derek and he won't want to dismiss a high probability of European football every year, but the philosophy thing did feel like a message to the manager that things needed to change.

2 hours ago, big al said:

The over the top celebrations when you win a trophy are almost fake, as you have no idea what’s it like to win something which is an actual achievement ( unless you win a European trophy). 

They'll have to win something other than the Petrofac Cup first in fairness.

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yeah I agree. Cormack is not an idiot and he will know the mood music around the club towards the end of last season and the declining ticket sales, never mind being constantly tagged on Twitter every time we didn't play well.

He knows what he's got with Derek and he won't want to dismiss a high probability of European football every year, but the philosophy thing did feel like a message to the manager that things needed to change.

🤣🤣

I do enjoy that when I see it.

1 hour ago, d31 said:

100% the team in Europa will be in the Europa/ECL groups and the two teams in the ECL will be knocked out.

It's huge to get that spot and secure our finances for next season.

Suddenly we can be selling Cosgrove+Ferguson to cover the hole this season and we are safe to build for the next 5-10 years.

We f**k this chance up and we could be burdened by £5M-£10M of debt for another ten years.

Yes, absolutely. It's the most important European qualification in a long time. 

Which is why any rumour of McInnes being sacked must be false as finishing 3rd is just too important. I think you will get it but Hibs are already making multiple signings and won't be standing still.

Also it could be the case that 3rd won't be enough depending on what happens with the Scottish Cup - if that is even completed this season.

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

This is pretty much where I'm at.

Do I think he deserves to be sacked? No

Will I be upset if he leaves this summer/next summer? Also no.

There has undoubtedly been a staleness about us for two or three seasons now, along with largely turgid football for much of this time.  This season the quality of football saw a definite improvement initially though has tailed off due to a variety of factors, not all McInnes's fault, and as much as I'm very frustrated we're not pushing Celtic a lot closer than we currently are, we are undeniably operating under very difficult circumstances. As has been noted, given the number of out of contract players this summer, this may be his best chance in several years to freshen the team up. 

While reaching ten semi-finals over his time in charge is very commendable, and he does deserve great credit for this, I also don't think it's unreasonable to say we should have won more than one trophy in these eight years, considering we have been comfortably the second/third best team in the country over this time. 

I'm not expecting us to be challenging for titles, though I also think that if we're pretty much just going to be meeting expectations each season (i.e. finishing third on the third biggest budget with a good cup run(s)) then it's not unreasonable to ask for a bit more quality or excitement in doing so.

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

You must remember that Rangers fans need to feel like they're 'big time' so having a rivalry with a diddy club is clearly beneath them. They're a little bit sensitive to that so just play a long and tell them we're too wee.

Sevco's natural rivals these days are mainly in English football.

Newport County AFC
Aldershot Town
FC Halifax Town
AFC Telford United
Bradford Park Avenue
Chester FC
Darlington 1883
Hereford FC
Maidstone United
Scarborough Athletic
AFC Rushden & Diamonds

They can all share newco/oldco stories after the match.

Edited by tarapoa

1 hour ago, DMCs said:

Yes, absolutely. It's the most important European qualification in a long time. 

Which is why any rumour of McInnes being sacked must be false as finishing 3rd is just too important. I think you will get it but Hibs are already making multiple signings and won't be standing still.

Also it could be the case that 3rd won't be enough depending on what happens with the Scottish Cup - if that is even completed this season.

Yea we'd need to hope if we can't win the scottish cup that it's another top 3 team, spit.

It will be standard scottish football that it's gretna or dunfermline kicking about the group stages.

This whole Wright affair absolutely reeks of the agent being an absolute bawbag. Unfortunately that's the way football is these days, and we better get used to it if we want to become one of the fabled #Top100.

Furthermore, the club have often stated they want to have the best youth system in the country. There's absolutely no point in that if we can't keep these players for long enough to make an impact on the first team, and then make money on them. It's probably too late now that the **** are involved, but we really shouldn't be letting prospects have less than a year on their deal.