The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

If, and it’s a really big “if” which I am 100% against, Derek McInnes leaves us soon, we are in a good position in the league with the Scottish Cup to come. We all know that what happens next is that we fall away to fighting to be a top six team, never mind qualifying for European football. I would have loved to have had more cups than the one we have under him, but I have been more than happy to have a consistent league team, winning a lot more games than we lose, qualifying for Europe every year, going into most games expecting to win rather than hoping to win. How many times have we heard players say after signing that they signed for Derek McInnes rather than the team. Derek McInnes leaves, mediocrity beckons.

Calm down Joey. That's a real defeatist attitude.

14 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Calm down Joey. That's a real defeatist attitude.

We all know that’s how things work. Anyway, I don’t think that these rumours have any foundation, so we will have a wee while before our football world caves in and our lunatics take over our asylum.

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

We all know that’s how things work. Anyway, I don’t think that these rumours have any foundation, so we will have a wee while before our football world caves in and our lunatics take over our asylum.

If he's knocked down by a bus tomorrow should we pack it in?

8 minutes ago, starryfish said:

It’s the striker situation I’m struggling with. Cosgrove, Main and Anderson. Outwith the gruesome twosome would either of Main or Anderson get a game for any team?

I think Main would maybe get into a few, but definitely not all. Anderson none. 

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Choosing to get rid of him and losing him to a bus are not the same thing.

Folk desperate for him to leave are as dangerous as folk who think he's the be all and end all.

He's done a very good job for most of his time here. It's also getting stale. The signing policy is beginning to rely on players he's previously signed or previously wanted to sign.

He could leave and we could get better. He could leave and we could regress. At the end of the day that wouldn't mean it was wrong to let him go. The next appointment just needs to be a good one.

It's not the end of the world if he leaves.

For the 'Remember McGhee' guys. JC had to go. The appointment was poor and he was immediately hamstrung by a massive budget reduction.

I'm not even sure he should go. Something definitely needs freshened up though.

With automatic group stage football available next season to the best three scottish teams this is not going to be a time to risk changing the management team.

It should be a time to make a small amount of funds available to help us get over that line.

They've been harping on about the top100 uefa thing for long enough - the time is now

6 minutes ago, d31 said:

With automatic group stage football available next season to the best three scottish teams this is not going to be a time to risk changing the management team.

It should be a time to make a small amount of funds available to help us get over that line.

They've been harping on about the top100 uefa thing for long enough - the time is now

I think that's fair.

32 minutes ago, d31 said:

If we finish 3rd this season we will have to win 1 game to qualify for either the Europa League or the Conference League. The season after that 3rd place will qualify for group stages. 

Bert site is ace for this information: https://kassiesa.net/uefa/

Edited by betting competition

9 minutes ago, betting competition said:

If we finish 3rd this season we will have to win 1 game to qualify for either the Europa League or the Conference League. The season after that 3rd place will qualify for group stages. 

Bert site is ace for this information: https://kassiesa.net/uefa/

The winner of scottish cup (or the third place if one of the top 3 wins the cup.... or if indeed the cup is not completed....again) will enter the PO round of the Europa League.

It would be the biggest match in a long time and if we lose a spot in the conference group stages.

Edit - click on access list on your link

Edited by d31

6 minutes ago, d31 said:

The winner of scottish cup (or the third place if one of the top 3 wins the cup.... or if indeed the cup is not completed....again) will enter the PO round of the Europa League.

It would be the biggest match in a long time and if we lose a spot in the conference group stages.

Edit - click on access list on your link

Aye I got that wrong, I last looked at the access list last month and I'm sure we was in Q3. 

Folk desperate for him to leave are as dangerous as folk who think he's the be all and end all.
He's done a very good job for most of his time here. It's also getting stale. The signing policy is beginning to rely on players he's previously signed or previously wanted to sign.
He could leave and we could get better. He could leave and we could regress. At the end of the day that wouldn't mean it was wrong to let him go. The next appointment just needs to be a good one.
It's not the end of the world if he leaves.
For the 'Remember McGhee' guys. JC had to go. The appointment was poor and he was immediately hamstrung by a massive budget reduction.
I'm not even sure he should go. Something definitely needs freshened up though.
This is pretty much exactly where I am.

13 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Aye I got that wrong, I last looked at the access list last month and I'm sure we was in Q3. 

It's not 100% certain it will happen but some geeks are fairly sure. As there is no winner of the ECL this season the plans dont work exactly so need a small fiddle to make it work. It's likely a Scottish team will benefit.

It's so important that its us

I like McInnes as a manager and would be disappointed if the club sacked him. I think the football we played under him in the first 4 season was the best fitba I've watched since the Alex Smith/Jocky Scott days. The football in the last 3 seaons hasn't been good to watch although he has had to replace a whole midfield.  This season started very well but recently it has been difficult watch. 

His win ratio is 4th best in our history, 6 seasons he has the highest points total we ever had - take away Rangers and Celtic since 98 only Hearts in 2005/2006 season got 74pts  but McInnes team has beaten that twice. Hibs best is a few seasons ago with 67pts which Aberdeen was above them on 73pts. 

I think the fans are so split on him that I do think maybe next season when his contract is up it is time to freshen it up. 

I do wonder if something is happening behind the scenes as d31 points out there is a big cash prize for 3rd/Scottish Cup winners to make a lot of money in Europe.  Maybe looking into to that too deep and maybe it is the right decision not to back him if the club is losing too much money with Covid.