The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 minutes ago, d31 said:

It's fairly safe to say our next manager wont stay 10 years so its a moot point. It's very very rare in football for someone to stay that long so two in a row would be very unlikely

You could argue that someone else wouldn't have been here 8 years because they would have went to a better team who weren't a complete basket case?

1 minute ago, d31 said:

Eh?

Pretty simple stuff. You're arguing no-one else could have done as good a job over 8-10 years. I'm arguing we have no idea what anyone else could have done and they maybe wouldn't have lasted as long here because they were more successful.

I'd rather park it there. These are the nonsense arguments that led to me leaving the hat in the first place.

36 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Have you forgotten about the end of Calderwoods time? The football was grim, there was little money in the bank and he was refusing to give the youth a chance. McGhee was the wrong appointment.

http://www.afcheritage.org/matches/fixtures/fixtures.cfm?fixture_id=4971&season=2008-09&squad=Senior

Look at our run of performances at the turn of the year.

Aye. Just because McGhee was obviously the wrong appointment doesn't mean that it was the wrong decision to sack Calderwood. It's perfectly reasonable and sound to judge the two decisions separately. 

On 26/12/2020 at 15:08, Vancouver_Don said:

McInnes is trying to have 2 players in by The Rangers match on the 10th of January. GMS and a defender. 4 players in total this window with Edmondson, Watkins, Cosgrove and Hernandez all leaving. 

Ross County want 500k for Ross Stewart.

If there is any truth to this I'd speculate GMS and one of Cadden/O'Donnell.

The other two players would have to be strikers. Stewart and Brophy?

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Pretty simple stuff. You're arguing no-one else could have done as good a job over 8-10 years. I'm arguing we have no idea what anyone else could have done and they maybe wouldn't have lasted as long here because they were more successful.

I'd rather park it there. These are the nonsense arguments that led to me leaving the hat in the first place.

Ah yes ok I see the argument. Apologies for forgetting a manager could go on to better things. Three times in our history I'm thinking? 

Calderwood should ve been replaced by Eric Black, 

For the record I've been saying for 2 yrs time for *** DMC to go, players get used to hearing the same team talks, the training loses its intensity, cliques and favourites form, players work out how to curry favour, and clubs need a freshen up generally that time should have been 2 yrs ago. It will be well past time in 16 months 

Not sure that DM needs to go for there to be a freshen up. I may have said on here before that in my mind if DM wants to continue on with us, the best thing he can do is shake up the staff around him to bring some fresh ideas to him. Appreciate that Tony Docherty and him are very close but sometimes there is a need for some different thinking, some new training ideas and also perhaps a shake up of the scouting network. I can't see us changing manager anytime soon.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Since McInnes got here we've always played with one up front and two wide men. It was succesful with Rooney/Hayes/McGinn for a few years, but then less so after Rooney left and McGinn turned 40. 

Look at the forwards we sign. Stockley, Main, Cosgrove, Edmondson et al. All the same type. 

I reckon he's now had his lightbulb moment with Watkins working off Hedges and Wright, and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see us going for a smaller, more mobile player who can link up the front 3, such as Brophy. 

I've always thought Brophy was a decent forward. He seems to have lost his mojo at Killie, so it's time for him to move on.

9 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Since McInnes got here we've always played with one up front and two wide men. It was succesful with Rooney/Hayes/McGinn for a few years, but then less so after Rooney left and McGinn turned 40. 

Look at the forwards we sign. Stockley, Main, Cosgrove, Edmondson et al. All the same type. 

I reckon he's now had his lightbulb moment with Watkins working off Hedges and Wright, and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see us going for a smaller, more mobile player who can link up the front 3, such as Brophy. 

I've always thought Brophy was a decent forward. He seems to have lost his mojo at Killie, so it's time for him to move on.

Some of the best football we played was with Goodwillie up top. At some point that went South.

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Some of the best football we played was with Goodwillie up top. At some point that went South.

Aye we had a weird 4-1-4-1 with Jack sitting, Hayes and Pawlett through the middle and Rooney out wide with Goodwillie up top which was really exciting in around 2015, I mind a good win over Dundee at Dens where it looked good. McInnes can do it, he just needs to fight his natural urge to be cautious. Hopefully in Jan he recognises this and signs a forward who can get us back to where we were a couple of months ago. Celtic are there for the taking this year, second would be a massive achievement and I hope Cormack and the rest of the leadership recognise that. 

Brophy looked shit hot under Clarke in a good system, he could be the man. If we can get Watkins back even better. I still hold out hope of Cosgrove wising up and fitting in up top as he’s better technically than folk give him credit for, but on recent showings he has checked out. Sad because we’re getting nowhere near the 2 mil offered (and accepted) if we try to sell now. 

1 hour ago, RussellAnderson said:

Aye we had a weird 4-1-4-1 with Jack sitting, Hayes and Pawlett through the middle and Rooney out wide with Goodwillie up top which was really exciting in around 2015, I mind a good win over Dundee at Dens where it looked good. McInnes can do it, he just needs to fight his natural urge to be cautious. Hopefully in Jan he recognises this and signs a forward who can get us back to where we were a couple of months ago. Celtic are there for the taking this year, second would be a massive achievement and I hope Cormack and the rest of the leadership recognise that. 

Brophy looked shit hot under Clarke in a good system, he could be the man. If we can get Watkins back even better. I still hold out hope of Cosgrove wising up and fitting in up top as he’s better technically than folk give him credit for, but on recent showings he has checked out. Sad because we’re getting nowhere near the 2 mil offered (and accepted) if we try to sell now. 

Aye, Derek loves to go back to what he knows.

A while back a lot of people on the site were saying this is McInnes strongest team. Look at the squad we had the season we lost the Scottish cup final to Celtic. Imagine that team playing the 3-2-2-2-1 we've been playing. Especially when we had Maddison.

Edited by Merkland Red

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Aye, Derek loves to go back to what he knows.

A while back a lot of people on the site were saying this is McInnes strongest team. Look at the squad we had the season we lost the Scottish cup final to Celtic. Imagine that team playing the 3-2-2-2-1 we've been playing. Especially when we had Maddison.

Lewis

Reynolds Taylor Considine

Logan Shinnie Jack Hayes

McGinn Maddison

Rooney

something like that? Would have been decent like

I swear McInnes signed “that type” based on our defence being battered and bruised in a game we lost at Tynecastle.

Coincidentally went out and got Stockley and has been his tactic ever since...

44 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Lewis

Reynolds Taylor Considine

Logan Shinnie Jack Hayes

McGinn Maddison

Rooney

something like that? Would have been decent like

Aye. There's also McLean to fit in. Stockley could have been a better option than Rooney as he was finished by the end of that season.

48 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Aye. There's also McLean to fit in. Stockley could have been a better option than Rooney as he was finished by the end of that season.

Thinking about it, McLean is a poor fit for this formation. He’s terrific but he needs to be in a 3. Jack and Shinnie perfectly complemented him in the 4-3-3.