The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

21 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

To be fair to McInnes we still played well without Hayes when he was injured.

The Accies performance went south when we went off..............and he played vs Celtic in the league game.

Wing-back is such a tough position - and Kennedy gave it a good go, and was great early on from an attacking perspective - but he is not defensively-minded and it was his first game in months.  

49 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

The Accies performance went south when we went off..............and he played vs Celtic in the league game.

Wing-back is such a tough position - and Kennedy gave it a good go, and was great early on from an attacking perspective - but he is not defensively-minded and it was his first game in months.  

Apologies. It was McGeouch who went off against Celtic.

Guest Bob Mahelp

I don't think shoe horning Cosgrove, Watkins, Wright and Hedges into the team is a great idea. It leaves us very light on midfield cover, especially if we insist on playing McCrorie as wing back.

Hedges and Watkins have been excellent, but I wonder if he'll think about resting one of them on Friday. Otherwise drop Wright to the bench and use him as an impact player. 

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Hedges and Watkins have been excellent, but I wonder if he'll think about resting one of them on Friday. Otherwise drop Wright to the bench and use him as an impact player. 

I'm not sure we'll be seeing Watkins for a few weeks following Brown's "nothing untoward" challenge that Don Robertson saw fit to restart with a bounce-up.

6 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Edit: I'm sure a Hibee could correct me but Boyle is looking out of sorts at the moment.

No correction needed. 

Think he has a case of "massivenewcontract-itis" and is not really playing as a wing back or a winger - frustrating.

5 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I don't think shoe horning Cosgrove, Watkins, Wright and Hedges into the team is a great idea. It leaves us very light on midfield cover, especially if we insist on playing McCrorie as wing back.

It is so easy picking the team from a spectator point of view. I get your point, but Derek McInnes couldn’t win yesterday. He gets stick for picking the team he did , he would have received a lot of stick if he hadn’t played Wright after his stunning show last week, he would have received stick for not picking Cosgrove after his show last week. He was going to get stick whatever team he picked, unless the team won.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

It is so easy picking the team from a spectator point of view. I get your point, but Derek McInnes couldn’t win yesterday. He gets stick for picking the team he did , he would have received a lot of stick if he hadn’t played Wright after his stunning show last week, he would have received stick for not picking Cosgrove after his show last week. He was going to get stick whatever team he picked, unless the team won.

I know, my comments weren't necessarily meant as a criticism per se, because if we lost his selection would always be questioned.

There were plenty of comments on here though last week pointing out the dangers that Celtic's midfield players bring, especially at Hampden as we well know. He gambled, and unfortunately we lost.

23 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I know, my comments weren't necessarily meant as a criticism per se, because if we lost his selection would always be questioned.

There were plenty of comments on here though last week pointing out the dangers that Celtic's midfield players bring, especially at Hampden as we well know. He gambled, and unfortunately we lost.

I would have been disappointed if McInnes set us up to defend against Celtic.  I have no complaints with the team he picked or how attacking he set the team up. 

I've enjoyed watching us this season which is night and day from the last 2 seasons so lets hope that continues. 

Edited by betting competition

8 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Cosgrove was pish last week.

Missed a sitter and get off the hook as the ref rightly brought play back for a penalty.

Fell like bambi on ice in the build up to a Celtic goal when a better player would have held the ball up or win a free kick at least.

He strolled about Hampden like some kind of superstar. The man boils my blood, I cringe every time his song is played/sung. He’s bang average at best but for me a cart horse.

46 minutes ago, big al said:

Missed a sitter and get off the hook as the ref rightly brought play back for a penalty.

Fell like bambi on ice in the build up to a Celtic goal when a better player would have held the ball up or win a free kick at least.

He strolled about Hampden like some kind of superstar. The man boils my blood, I cringe every time his song is played/sung. He’s bang average at best but for me a cart horse.

Respectfully disagree. He's not match sharp but he's ace. 

5 hours ago, big al said:

It’s a game of opinions. Your’s is so off the mark, that if it was a game of darts you’ve missed the board.

7 hours ago, big al said:

Boy is only back from injury having played (2?) first team matches.

I think the best gauge would be - which Scottish Premiership team would not take him if he was, notionally, available?

As for missed sitters etc - good strikers get into positions and do miss chances. The better ones just get on with it.

6 hours ago, the tungston weasel said:

If I remember correctly at the end of last season Cosgrove was out and the team started playing much better football whilst getting as good of if not better results.

Not really. He missed a couple of games at the end but played the vast majority of the games Jan-Lockdown.

Don’t think he scored many besides a few penalties but the team as a whole was playing some pretty wretched stuff and scraped a few results the performance barely deserved. The last game against Hibs for example which he missed we probably only won because Whittaker got himself sent off.

Edited by Rodhull

Having Cosgrove in the team is a step backwards from the progress the team has made this season. 
Can’t believe the amount of people who think otherwise. He scored a couple of good goals last season, a few tap ins and a load of penalties. His general play is equivalent to a league 1 in Scotland player. It’s been noticeably different when hold up play with back to goal was required and it’s been Watkins (mainly) and Edmondson. Refreshing to see players who can do that and stay on their feet.
His work rate is embarrassing. That’s ok if you’re Edouard and you are immense on the ball. 
Any bids that come in for him should be taken without thought.

3 minutes ago, big al said:

Having Cosgrove in the team is a step backwards from the progress the team has made this season. 
Can’t believe the amount of people who think otherwise. He scored a couple of good goals last season, a few tap ins and a load of penalties. His general play is equivalent to a league 1 in Scotland player. It’s been noticeably different when hold up play with back to goal was required and it’s been Watkins (mainly) and Edmondson. Refreshing to see players who can do that and stay on their feet.
His work rate is embarrassing. That’s ok if you’re Edouard and you are immense on the ball. 
Any bids that come in for him should be taken without thought.

As I said yesterday, you’re perfectly entitled to your opinion. It amazes me that a French club were willing to pay what they bid, for a League 1 player. But you’ll be right.