The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2020/21

Journalist pal just texted to say that he heard Villa had put late interest in for McKenna.

Anyone else hear anything ?

4 hours ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

What you reckon for McKenna? £2 million?

Probably be slightly more than you could buy the entire Thistle squad for.

The Rumour is £3m now, with £2m more coming in installments and a sizeable sell-on (probably 20%).

Decent bit of business for Aberdeen that. Be funny if Villa come in with a bigger offer now though. 

Slightly concerned if we're to stick with a back 3 now.

Hoban can't really be relied on, McCrorie ain't a centre half and Taylor/Considine showed their limitations yesterday, not just defensively which was obviously poor, but on the ball too we missed Hoban and even Mckenna to an extent coming out from the back.

I'm guessing McCrorie was bought knowing that Mckenna would bring cash in so it may be that we're not spending any of this money coming in, which slightly concerns me.

21 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Hoban can't really be relied on, McCrorie ain't a centre half and Taylor/Considine showed their limitations yesterday, not just defensively which was obviously poor, but on the ball too we missed Hoban and even Mckenna to an extent coming out from the back.

I'm guessing McCrorie was bought knowing that Mckenna would bring cash in so it may be that we're not spending any of this money coming in, which slightly concerns me.

I really didn’t like us playing a back three in the past, but was getting pretty comfortable with it with McKenna being a huge part of it. But, like you, now that’s he’s going/gone we have to go back to a back four starting on Thursday. At the back end of last season I thought that Ash Taylor was back to playing really well, but he was all over the place yesterday and if he is to play it has to be in a four. Not so sure that we won’t try for another centre back, albeit that he will probably be an out of contract player with no transfer fee involved. There’s no question that the club need the transfer fee for McKenna, and possibly Sam Cosgrove as well, and no one should have any issue with the sale/s.

This move has been on the cards for over 12 months now, but with a big game coming up for The Dons on Thursday, the timing is really poor.

But McKenna shouldn't go into this with his eyes shut. Forest are in free-fall at the moment with 4 straight defeats and 9 games without a win. Their signing policy is erratic to say the least, and this might not be the move that will further his career the way he hopes.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yip. Taylor and Considine both too slow and ponderous on the ball and want an extra touch. You can get away with one of them but not two.

1 hour ago, Enrico Pallazzo said:

But McKenna shouldn't go into this with his eyes shut. Forest are in free-fall at the moment with 4 straight defeats and 9 games without a win. Their signing policy is erratic to say the least, and this might not be the move that will further his career the way he hopes.

Word is that Eddie Howe may be their manager this time next week.

He's probably had his fill of soccer mercenaries from the east of Scotland.

So... McKenna will plug the financial gap and leave us in as good a financial position as we can possibly be all things considered.

Based on what we saw yesterday would you be happy going forward with what we have? Would you entertain selling Cosgrove too and getting in a defender who can also play out from the back more comfortably than what we have? 

We'd be selling our only real goal scorer but playing the 3-4-3 without him it looked like goals could come from anywhere.

Having enjoyed the football against Hibs, Killie and Viking my heart says yes but the pragmatic in me thinks we should keep Cosgrove and see if we can squeeze him in. Even if this does mean hoofball.

Edited by Merkland Red

I wonder if part of the appeal of the 3-4-3 to McInnes is basically avoiding playing full-backs. At right-back, Logan is past his best and Hernandez obviously isn't where he would have wanted him to be by now; on the left, Considine has been a steady option there but will become increasingly limited and playing Hayes as a full-back would perhaps stop him from influencing things further up the park as often as he would like. 3-4-3 has essentially allowed him to squeeze as many of his most threatening and creative attack-minded players on the pitch as possible, when they have all been fit - Kennedy and Hayes as wing-backs, with Hedges and Wright supporting Watkins.

What happens now with McKenna going, I'm not sure - as has been said, I'm far from convinced by Taylor in a three (especially with Considine there too) and having to move McCrorie there means we are disrupting what has looked an effective and promising partnership with Ferguson. 

Will we have enough to buy Liam Lindsay and pay the bills? Fits the McInnes signing profile except i don't remember him scoring against us. 

11 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Will we have enough to buy Liam Lindsay and pay the bills? Fits the McInnes signing profile except i don't remember him scoring against us. 

Papers were saying none of it goes towards a replacement as we signed McCrorie knowing McKenna would be off.

23 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I wonder if part of the appeal of the 3-4-3 to McInnes is basically avoiding playing full-backs. At right-back, Logan is past his best and Hernandez obviously isn't where he would have wanted him to be by now; on the left, Considine has been a steady option there but will become increasingly limited and playing Hayes as a full-back would perhaps stop him from influencing things further up the park as often as he would like. 3-4-3 has essentially allowed him to squeeze as many of his most threatening and creative attack-minded players on the pitch as possible, when they have all been fit - Kennedy and Hayes as wing-backs, with Hedges and Wright supporting Watkins.

What happens now with McKenna going, I'm not sure - as has been said, I'm far from convinced by Taylor in a three (especially with Considine there too) and having to move McCrorie there means we are disrupting what has looked an effective and promising partnership with Ferguson. 

That's a fair shout regarding the full backs.