Ojo Ferguson

McGinn Kennedy Hedges

Anderson

Much more likely it'll be:

Lewis

Hernandez Taylor McKenna Considine

McGinn Ojo Bryson Ferguson Hayes

Anderson

I've a feeling we might throw Logan in now given that we are missing Cosgrove and Main

Guest Bob Mahelp
15 minutes ago, Widge said:

This is exactly the issue Aberdeen have, whilst saints and other teams could play different ways, what's the point when we've found one that works. In fact it's worked for years now and McInnes has never learnt to deal with it properly. By playing Cosgrove it almost becomes far too predictable to defend against, speaking from a saints point of view, Kerr and Gordon will happily battle and for the majority beat Cosgrove in the air and physically since whilst he's a big lad, he's not the best target man. 

Aberdeen have the players out wide to hurt teams int he fullback area, but more often than not whenever we play you guys it's the fullbacks who're trying to provide width and crosses and your wingers have disappeared, which is mental considering it's Logan and Considine at fullback, neither of whom I'd see as great crossers of the ball.

And yet for years now Aberdeen have been far more succesful than 'Saints and other teams', who are apparently playing such great football. 

And that Cosgrove, with 44 goals in 87 appearances...he's pish. Dominated by these amazing Saints defenders. 

It's like, weird, man. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

6 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

And yet for years now Aberdeen have been far more succesful than 'Saints and other teams', who are apparently playing such great football. 

And that Cosgrove, with 44 goals in 87 appearances...he's pish. Dominated by these amazing Saints defenders. 

It's like, weird, man. 

Don't think that's what he is saying at all. How did we get on against St Johnstone last season? We have the players to grind it out but it's usually not pretty when we do.

St Johnstone games are usually a difficult one for us.

7 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Don't think that's what he is saying at all. How did we get on against St Johnstone last season? We have the players to grind it out but it's usually not pretty when we do.

St Johnstone games are usually a difficult one for us.

We are only putting an away fans perspective on it, you probably don't need it but hey ho.

Aberdeen should absolutely stroll it against Saints and sometimes they do but more often than not they don't. Has Del learned anything about these games where teams sit in then counter? I like Del and don't really want to knock the laddie but I'd be asking questions if I were a weird talking mutton humper.

9 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

How so?

I think he might just want that extra experience on the park that Logan would give over Hernandez and at set pieces if we've lost Cosgrove/Main.

*Yes, I know that Logan conceeded about five headed goals from his man last season.

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

We are only putting an away fans perspective on it, you probably don't need it but hey ho.

Aberdeen should absolutely stroll it against Saints and sometimes they do but more often than not they don't. Has Del learned anything about these games where teams sit in then counter? I like Del and don't really want to knock the laddie but I'd be asking questions if I were a weird talking mutton humper.

Saints have beaten us twice in the last 13 games. Not a very impressive record, but probably on par with the record of most teams outside the OF against Aberdeen. 

I'm not sure why we should 'absolutely stroll it' against teams like St Johnstone.  With the obvious exception and Celtic and to a lesser extent rangers, there's very little difference between the other teams in the league.

And the point the guy made about Cosgrove is just mad. Every single team in the league...and I include the OF here...would kill to have a guy in their side with his scoring record.

10 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

You would hope he's learned/learning.

The last couple of seasons we've lacked the individuals that allowed us to consistently do just enough to get past teams that sit in. Even in some pretty turgid performances Mclean, Mcginn, Hayes etc would usually provide one or two moments that got us over the line and it would be enough.

We've lacked that more recently and he has shown a stubbornness in style of play.  I think he will always play with a solid base first and foremost. The team who scores first in the Premiership often wins so he definitely prioritises not conceding more than he often should.

I don't necessarily hate that, my biggest gripe was the one dimensional nature of our play. Lacking in threat from full backs, little movement from Cosgrove, no creative midfielder meant that as long as you keep the wingers subdued and can nullify Cosgrove in the box we weren't scoring.

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Saints have beaten us twice in the last 13 games. Not a very impressive record, but probably on par with the record of most teams outside the OF against Aberdeen. 

I'm not sure why we should 'absolutely stroll it' against teams like St Johnstone.  With the obvious exception and Celtic and to a lesser extent rangers, there's very little difference between the other teams in the league.

And the point the guy made about Cosgrove is just mad. Every single team in the league...and I include the OF here...would kill to have a guy in their side with his scoring record.

You've chosen a strange hill to die on here.

Not once have I said Cosgrove isn't a good player, would I have him in our team you're damn right I would. What I said was he's not the most effective target man, centrebacks will usually get the better of him when a ball is launched at him from deep. He's a much more effective player with the ball at his feet or being crossed into him. By all means continue with your current train of thought since it's clearly suiting your defensive narrative, but I have not once levelled criticism or negativity at Aberdeens team or achievements, simply stating that there's areas for improvement which could have you a lot closer to the top of the league.   

12 minutes ago, d31 said:

I think he might just want that extra experience on the park that Logan would give over Hernandez and at set pieces if we've lost Cosgrove/Main.

*Yes, I know that Logan conceeded about five headed goals from his man last season.

I get you. So you're expecting McInnes to play it uber safe?

3 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

One of my pet hates is when a player gets injured and the club signs a replacement, it always makes me wonder is the club doing enough to get players in when they can always find some more dosh to spend.

Interesting

Pray please share your knowledge of the exact in and outs of this loan deal and how it is structured as you clearly possess an insight none of us actually have

6 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

I get you. So you're expecting McInnes to play it uber safe?

Yes, I think it would be quite brave to play Hernandez and Anderson tomorrow. If he does then he'll deserve some credit regardless of the result.

Given he has moreorless announced Anderson is starting I just wonder if Logan might get the nod this week. We obviously need to get Hernandez starting soon though.

6 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

One of my pet hates is when a player gets injured and the club signs a replacement, it always makes me wonder is the club doing enough to get players in when they can always find some more dosh to spend.

The Dons always do it. I start to wonder if they have an insurance policy that helps them in this situation.