The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp

Mirko Virtanen is 22 and has spent the last 2 seasons (apparently succesfully) at Arbroath. 

You've got to imagine that it's now or never for him if he's to make a career as a Dons' player, especially as the younger Jack Mackenzie and Calvin Ramsey are now well above him in the pecking order. 

12 minutes ago, AJF said:

I'm confused, what was this "unseen" Scott Brown moment? That he claimed for a foul to the ref or he applauded the fans?

I believe it’s the ref thing. 

Tbh the weekly shite puff pieces the likes of the daily record are going to do on him as an Aberdeen player would have been in my top 3 reasons against signing scott brown. 

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Mirko Virtanen is 22 and has spent the last 2 seasons (apparently succesfully) at Arbroath. 

You've got to imagine that it's now or never for him if he's to make a career as a Dons' player, especially as the younger Jack Mackenzie and Calvin Ramsey are now well above him in the pecking order. 

Virtanen will not make it at the Dons.

18 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

From everything I've seen Ruth and Ngwenya probably have a better chance of making it in the Premier League.

Dangana hasn't played above reserve level and Virtanen has only made a couple of sub appearances. I'd be surprised if he went on loan to League One after two relatively successful loans to Arbroath in the Championship but you never know.

Cove would obviously be an ideal team as they can still train with us part time and there's less upheaval.

Fair assessment and in line with what I thought about their potential. I heard Ruth was linked with Falkirk and wouldn't be surprised with that given Sheerin is in charge. Cove are in need of another striker, one that will partner Mitch and score 10+ goals a season. I would expect Cove to at least show an interest in Ruth. Had hoped we could lure Cammy Smith but he's gone to Partick.

Ngwenya I like and with some development could start creeping his way into the first team squad. Our LB Harry Milne is excellent; very fast and comfortable defending and attacking. Championship quality easily and Ngwenya would only be back up to him at this moment if he got loaned to us.

Virtanen seems to be hanging in at Pittodrie but not really gaining any traction. I'd be surprised if we would take him in on loan given we have Fyvie, Vigurs and Scully in central midfield already. We have Draper too, sadly. He's experienced yes but I can walk faster than he can run.

Hartley will no doubt look at a few different clubs like Hearts and Dundee Utd for loan signings as well as Aberdeen ( I hope)

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Virtanen seems to be hanging in at Pittodrie but not really gaining any traction. I'd be surprised if we would take him in on loan given we have Fyvie, Vigurs and Scully in central midfield already. We have Draper too, sadly. He's experienced yes but I can walk faster than he can run.

I've watched Virtanen and he looked very good at Championship level. It's impossible to say if he can do the business at Premiership level because he hasn't had a run in the team.

It's tricky for him. If it was under the last regime then he would probably move on, but there seems to be more opportunities under Glass.

I don't think he should drop down to the third tier. He can do a job above that level.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

I only watched two Arbroath games (on the telly) last season and neither vittanen nor Ruth were the standouts i'd hoped they'd be. 

Virtanen did look tidy and composed but wasn't dominant at all (against Hearts and Dundee tbf). Ruth had a nice touch but barely got involved. 

I'd like to see them both given a fair chance of a couple of starts. Maybe Ruth is worth developing more but imo it's sink or swim time for Virtanen at 22.

Edited by coprolite
Illiteracy

11 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Looks like the previous commentators are gone completely.

I enjoyed this:

Andy also hosts the Hampden Roar podcast, which is solely focused on the Scotland national team.

Roughly translated as “he is not an OF broadcaster, please believe us, the man is a Scotland fan only!!!”

Some result getting Rory hamilton, the best in the business since Deek Rae hopped over across the pond.

I actually enjoyed Tosh and whoever the main comms was on Thurs. Proper odd couple stuff, with Tosh really dancing on the line of endearing/unbearable. Maybe if we hadnt been absolutely flying, Id have been more irritated by him. 

56 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Some result getting Rory hamilton, the best in the business since Deek Rae hopped over across the pond.

I actually enjoyed Tosh and whoever the main comms was on Thurs. Proper odd couple stuff, with Tosh really dancing on the line of endearing/unbearable. Maybe if we hadnt been absolutely flying, Id have been more irritated by him. 

The main commentator was the lad Andy Bargh who's been confirmed today.

Regarding the previous two lads - I wonder if they are still doing other duties or have stopped completely.  I wasn't their biggest fan, but commentating on last year's dire displays with no fans was a hard shift for their last year.  FWIW I also thought Iain Crocker's standard was way down commentating on empty stadiums.

39 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Bad at their jobs and deserved the punt.

This is all there is really.

They may have satisfied the need when redtv was for overseas viewers or audio commentary in the uk (barely) but if you’re actually wanting to put together a semi competent production then you get rid of them pronto.

They seem like alright guys but they are absolutely useless as commentators. Useless. 

I didn’t mind Andrew Shinie - not the greatest broadcaster perhaps, but had a good run at it.

I still remember having to text and correct him though on Northsound Sport when he mentioned in the mid 90s that Hearts had drawn “one of those teams nobody’s ever heard of, Crvena Zvedza”. The fact they’d been European champions a few years earlier clearly escaped him.

Dave McDermid though - different kettle of fish - always found him dislikeable. Very aloof, and with ideas way above his station due to being on the inside down AB24 way all these years - if his commentating had been particularly good I could have seen past that, but it wasn’t.
His party line was like the Iraqi Information Minister at times, and it made local sports broadcasting pointless listening as nothing the club did would ever be questioned - and even the Black&Gold/DNA Q&Aa with McInnes ultimately had to go through his filter, after a couple of decent early ones.

Glad he has gone……

26 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I didn’t mind Andrew Shinie - not the greatest broadcaster perhaps, but had a good run at it.

I still remember having to text and correct him though on Northsound Sport when he mentioned in the mid 90s that Hearts had drawn “one of those teams nobody’s ever heard of, Crvena Zvedza”. The fact they’d been European champions a few years earlier clearly escaped him.

Dave McDermid though - different kettle of fish - always found him dislikeable. Very aloof, and with ideas way above his station due to being on the inside down AB24 way all these years - if his commentating had been particularly good I could have seen past that, but it wasn’t.
His party line was like the Iraqi Information Minister at times, and it made local sports broadcasting pointless listening as nothing the club did would ever be questioned - and even the Black&Gold/DNA Q&Aa with McInnes ultimately had to go through his filter, after a couple of decent early ones.

Glad he has gone……

I couldn't stand the fact Shinie was being used as a pundit at half time last season. What right does he have to talk about the performance when it is supposed to be a professional in the role?

The two of them likely signed their own death warrant when they publicly criticised the decision to sack McInnes on Northsound. Was a bizarre listen. Yes they were likely pals but it was an odd hill to die on.