The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

7 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Hacken favourites IMO.

Had we been playing them in a month, then we’d be slight favourites, but just now, they’re favourites I’d say. 

I've no idea tbh, not watched anything other than goal clips of them. I'm assuming your opinion is solely based off them having played games? or have you watched any of the Swedish league this season to give you that impression?

1 hour ago, TommyDickFingers said:

I've no idea tbh, not watched anything other than goal clips of them. I'm assuming your opinion is solely based off them having played games? or have you watched any of the Swedish league this season to give you that impression?

Mainly based on the clubs respective preparedness for the tie. 
Not just that though, they have a fair amount of internationals in their team & they’re from a respectable league, not Lithuania, Andorra or some such shite like the mob Hibs have got.

I’d say it’s 40/60 against us. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Mainly based on the clubs respective preparedness for the tie. 
Not just that though, they have a fair amount of internationals in their team & they’re from a respectable league, not Lithuania, Andorra or some such shite like the mob Hibs have got.

4 wins a row and undefeated in 5. 

The Swedish league isn't the best in European football, and Hacken are only sitting 8th, but the feeling remains that a couple of kick arounds on the training field isn't the best preparation for a European tie against a team halfway through their season in a respectable league. 

As I said on the European thread, my mood is swinging between it'll be all right on the night and a Mark McGhee Sigma Olomouc shambles.

they have a fair amount of internationals in their team & they’re from a respectable league

Like us then? 

I get the nervousness at the apparent lack of prep but that's just how things are in the current Covid situation. Anyway, going by what's been said about training / fitness etc under the last incumbent of the greatest football job in the world will it really show ?😉

I'm really looking forward to the game for many reasons but win or lose the red renaissance the fans wanted (you included I assume) has to start somewhere. And I certainly don't hold any fears about playing the mighty Hacken.

Heed first imo.

30 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Like us then? 

I get the nervousness at the apparent lack of prep but that's just how things are in the current Covid situation. Anyway, going by what's been said about training / fitness etc under the last incumbent of the greatest football job in the world will it really show ?😉

I'm really looking forward to the game for many reasons but win or lose the red renaissance the fans wanted (you included I assume) has to start somewhere. And I certainly don't hold any fears about playing the mighty Hacken.

Heed first imo.

Aye, fair comment.

Guest Bob Mahelp
11 minutes ago, TommyDickFingers said:

Like us then? 

Heed first imo.

It doesn't seem to have stopped other teams getting a normal pre-season in. 

As far as I can tell, we've played 2 games at our training ground (one of which where we swapped a whole team at half time). Was there a 3rd ?

It's not really fitness that's the issue at hand, it's lack of match practice for a new team combined with the lack of opportunity to get some match sharpness in.

And while I'm in pint half empty mode, I'm wondering where this 'superb squad' is that according to Glass, we've accumulated, because what I see is a squad that is incredibly light up front and is still heavily reliant on slow, ageing players such as Hayes and McGinn to create chances ....never mind the fact that our midfield is bolstered by a 36 year old and that we still have big Andy (wonderful though he is) as an integral part of defence. 

There's no fear of the mighty Hacken, but this is a season where for many reasons it's important we hit the ground running. I desperately hope I'm wrong but I have the feeling that rather thna running we're still sitting on the edge of the bed wondering what socks to put on. 

Feel free to tell me I'm a d1ck after we win 3-0 on Thursday. 

P.S. Not all fans wanted the 'red renaissance' in the form of the Chairman's untried and untested mate. 

11 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

As far as I can tell, we've played 2 games at our training ground (one of which where we swapped a whole team at half time). Was there a 3rd ?

It's not really fitness that's the issue at hand, it's lack of match practice for a new team combined with the lack of opportunity to get some match sharpness in.

And while I'm in pint half empty mode, I'm wondering where this 'superb squad' is that according to Glass, we've accumulated, because what I see is a squad that is incredibly light up front and is still heavily reliant on slow, ageing players such as Hayes and McGinn to create chances ....never mind the fact that our midfield is bolstered by a 36 year old and that we still have big Andy (wonderful though he is) as an integral part of defence. 

There's no fear of the mighty Hacken, but this is a season where for many reasons it's important we hit the ground running. I desperately hope I'm wrong but I have the feeling that rather thna running we're still sitting on the edge of the bed wondering what socks to put on. 

Feel free to tell me I'm a d1ck after we win 3-0 on Thursday. 

P.S. Not all fans wanted the 'red renaissance' in the form of the Chairman's untried and untested mate. 

Agree with a lot of that.

I was keen for a change, and (sadly) saw the Glass appointment about a year before it happened. I say sadly as I don’t think he’ll up to the job, & the whole “prawcess” was a bit of a sham. 

Now that he’s here, he deserves a chance though.

However, whilst it may be public posturing, his assertion that we have a good squad is a bit of a stretch.

We have two fit & available central defenders for our European tie, one who should now be a good back up, & one who may not even be a central defender.

We have two strikers.

And out wide, we’re probably lacking a good option, as we’re a bit desperate if we’re relying on McLennan or Kennedy.

My hope is that Ferguson gets sold ASAP & we re-invest & bring in the 3 quality players we probably need. 

Overall I’m looking forward to a new season, but I’m not overly optimistic we’ll be any higher than last season. 
Starting off with a defeat to Hacken will bring out the “I told you so mob”  & put a bit of pressure on him from the outset.

Cormack hasn’t really backed his man IMO. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Did these "other teams" have friendlies lined up against Cove and Reading who subsequently had Covid outbreaks late in the day?  with hindsight I'd change my lottery numbers every week.

9 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm getting deja vu here with the "I want change, just not that change" chat . I think it was @Thenorthernlight I had this very conversation with weeks ago. What form of change did you want / expect ? a whole new team of superstars and manager to appear magically in ABZ gratis mid pandemic? ambitious to say the least I'd say.

I don't think anyone will argue that we would like more faces in certain positions, as has been mentioned once or twice ... fingers crossed etc.

D1CK

(I'll forget by Thurs.😉)

2 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Agree with a lot of that.

I was keen for a change, and (sadly) saw the Glass appointment about a year before it happened. I say sadly as I don’t think he’ll up to the job, & the whole “prawcess” was a bit of a sham. 

Now that he’s here, he deserves a chance though.

However, whilst it may be public posturing, his assertion that we have a good squad is a bit of a stretch.

We have two fit & available central defenders for our European tie, one who should now be a good back up, & one who may not even be a central defender.

We have two strikers.

And out wide, we’re probably lacking a good option, as we’re a bit desperate if we’re relying on McLennan or Kennedy.

My hope is that Ferguson gets sold ASAP & we re-invest & bring in the 3 quality players we probably need. 

Overall I’m looking forward to a new season, but I’m not overly optimistic we’ll be any higher than last season. 
Starting off with a defeat to Hacken will bring out the “I told you so mob”  & put a bit of pressure on him from the outset.

Cormack hasn’t really backed his man IMO. 

Aside from winning the tie, I'm hoping the Hacken match is a wake up call to Cormack that further additions are required before the new league campaign begins. 

We are currently operating with only 2 strikers. I'm not convinced Ruth is ready for the first team. Desperately need some pace up top. 

We only have Considine, Gallagher (suspended for Thursday) and McCrorie (who isn't a centre back). And joking aside, how can Devlin be included in any squad list when he is injured indefinitely. Such a bizarre renewal of a contract. 37 games in 4 years for Aberdeen.

Glass really needs to get a tune out of McLennan and Kennedy. Apart from Hedges I've have little faith in our attacking capabilities.

The main objective this window was to reduce the wage bill at the club. I think we'll be fine for this coming season however I don't think we anywhere near good enough to finish 3rd. Hibs have that wrapped up IMO.

3 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

The main objective this window was to reduce the wage bill at the club. I think we'll be fine for this coming season however I don't think we anywhere near good enough to finish 3rd. Hibs have that wrapped up IMO.

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

A ball hasn't been kicked!

9 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

If you're lucky enough to win a ticket that you've paid for you've to then go and do a test and then register and print your results before getting in?

Fuckthat BTW. 

You can use your phone to show the text or email...

Testing before entry is pretty standard as far as I'm aware?

6 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

You can use your phone to show the text or email...

Didn’t have to for Euro games at Hampden. 

It’s a bit of a nonsense though 

Even after you scan the barcode and enter your details, putting in whether the test is positive or negative is still a manual process

You’re really relying on everyone being honest, if you hadn’t been to the fitba in 18 months, what would you do…. 👀

6 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

You'll be the first club in Scotland to ask for it since the "test events" last winter, no other club this Summer has asked for it as its not required. Aberdeen have decided its necessary off their own back.

7 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

If you're lucky enough to win a ticket that you've paid for you've to then go and do a test and then register and print your results before getting in?

Fuckthat BTW. 

We are going to give it a try on Thursday. The test is the easy part IMO, not sure if they will be strict about sitting with a mask on for the whole game outside. I don’t agree with this part especially if you have shown a negative test. If this is strictly adhered to and it’s crap I won’t be back until this is relaxed.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You'll be the first club in Scotland to ask for it since the "test events" last winter, no other club this Summer has asked for it as its not required. Aberdeen have decided its necessary off their own back.

Obviously the club is going the extra mile to ensure safe events and ensure the council agree to as many fans as possible.

Good on them for trying their best.

21 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

It’s a bit of a nonsense though 

Even after you scan the barcode and enter your details, putting in whether the test is positive or negative is still a manual process

You’re really relying on everyone being honest, if you hadn’t been to the fitba in 18 months, what would you do…. 👀

Hopefully big Davie McCormack has this boy on the door.

64DD4347-2D03-43D3-936D-3BDF55494A05.gif

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Either that or the council has stipulated it as a condition of going beyond the 2k limit.