The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

5 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

That will be the quarter final where we missed two sitters at 0-0 and played against a team who were well rested after we knocked our pans in against Celtic, aye?

There was a four day gap, and maybe we should have prioritised the cup game too.

Still he mentioned the lack of physical and mental fitness to handle the three big games in eight days - which I suppose was a damning indictment on his predecessor and the effectiveness of Cormack Pack to date..............but there was so much wrong with that performance, and it did remind me of the Sigma tragedy in just how open the team was, and how easily average opposition picked us off at will - all after the team previously being criticised for being 'boring', leading to the change in manager despite consistently decent league positions.

Edited by tarapoa

14 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

There was a four day gap, and maybe we should have prioritised the cup game too.

Still he mentioned the lack of physical and mental fitness to handle the three big games in eight days - which I suppose was a damning indictment on his predecessor and the effectiveness of Cormack Pack to date..............but there was so much wrong with that performance, and it did remind me of the Sigma tragedy in just how open the team was, and how easily average opposition picked us off at will - all after the team previously being criticised for being 'boring', leading to the change in manager despite consistently decent league positions.

The performance in that Celtic game energy wise , in terms of creating chances and overall in terms of some good football played throughout was better than what had come before against that opposition for a long time.

41 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Boring?

Here's the previous managers results this calendar year:

image.png.0dc00d53596d3a160771accedb9b2ae1.png

There was nothing boring about it. It was also our third successive year of falling below expectations although Hibs budget was closer to ours than Killie and Motherwell.

On 09/06/2021 at 00:05, DrewDon said:

It has already been answered above, but Logan signed for us at a similar age to Gurr now, off the top of my head, and had accrued over 100 competitive games for Brentford and had a handful of loans at other Football League clubs under his belt too. I'm not convinced the two examples are really very comparable. 

I hope the lad surprises me and does well, as I hope for every Aberdeen player, but I wouldn't blame anyone for being skeptical about this one given what little we do know. 

Ok, but my point was more along the lines of the immediate reaction of Aberdeen fans when they heard about the loan deal and before they had seen Shay play;

a) Who?

b) he can’t even get a game for an English League 1 side and is so far out of their plans they’re happy to loan him to a Scottish club.

Edited by kingjoey

32 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Ok, but my point was more along the lines of the immediate reaction of Aberdeen fans when they heard about the loan deal and before they had seen Shay play;

a) Who?

b) he can’t even get a game for an English League 1 side and is so far out of there plans they’re happy to loan him to a Scottish club.

I’d be far happier if Jack Gurr had played 90 games for Brentford (as Logan had).

This lad, at the age of 25, has played less than 20 MINUTES for Atlanta, & 18 games for a team that would probably be a Scottish Championship team at best if you accept Martin Rennie’s opinion, who knows the standard of both leagues well. 

The comparison is ridiculous 

10 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Go watch the Scott Brown interview if you haven't already. Great interview. A real winner. He clearly wants to be here and give his all. Delighted he's on board.

Does he apologise for calling one of our players who was a victim of racism a liar or or is it swept under the carpet again. 

10 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Go watch the Scott Brown interview if you haven't already. Great interview. A real winner. He clearly wants to be here and give his all. Delighted he's on board.

Aye enjoyed that , he seems well up for it .. his win at all costs attitude be very welcome in  this club   and it  he offends a few  opposition fans on the way that is even better .

Welcome Mr Brown

Decent interview from brown but don’t think his mentality has ever really been a question for me. My sole concern with him is that physically he might be done, but I could be way off. I just have a nagging feeling our player/coach will be transitioned to full time coach pretty quickly. 

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

a) Who?

b) he can’t even get a game for an English League 1 side and is so far out of there plans they’re happy to loan him to a Scottish club.

My memory of Logan's arrival was that there was little time between his signing being announced publicly and his debut against St Johnstone in the League Cup semi final at Tynecastle. He then had a positive impact in a big match which had a successful outcome for the Dons. Therefore, basically from the very start of Logan's Aberdeen career he was being viewed in a positive light my the majority of the support.

I've never seen Gurr play but, judging by his limited career history so far, I don't think the support should expect Gurr to make an instant impact like Logan. In which case, the lad is going to have to show mental resolve aligned with good performances to prove himself to the Dons support.

Experience-wise he reminds me more of a Dan Smith (signed under Calderwood) type signing than Shay Logan and I'll forgive anyone that has forgotten all about Dan Smith. Coincidentally, both Smith & Gurr are from the North-East of England.

Although, if I clutch at straws, Gurr seems to have accrued more life experience with a puckle of years spent living in the States than Smith but at the end of the day he will be judged on his ability at playing football in the here & now for Aberdeen as all our new players will be, whether you have had a lengthy career at a high level like Brown, a medium length career at a bottom six Premiership or Championship level like Gallagher or nothing much at all like Gurr.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

29 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Decent interview from brown but don’t think his mentality has ever really been a question for me. My sole concern with him is that physically he might be done, but I could be way off. I just have a nagging feeling our player/coach will be transitioned to full time coach pretty quickly. 

I think his usefulness to us in games when we are heavy favourites is going to be safe regardless of his legs.

It's the games where we are second favourites that I have my doubts how useful he is going to be (if as promised 100 times we are going to be an attacking team because of course he would be useful in a defensive team that is second favourites).

Guest Bob Mahelp
31 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don't think Brown's mentality or ability have ever been in question. It also helps to have a winning mentality when you play years for a team that sweeps the board almost every season in the small pond that is Scottish football. 

It should be remembered as well that the history of football is littered with the shattered corpses of 'great' players with a 'winning mentality', who simply couldn't translate that into coaching or management. 

If we have a shite season next year, it'll be nothing to do with Brown's mentality. It'll be to do with the fact that we have a tiny pool of players, most of whom are not good enough at football to win things. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I don't think Brown's mentality or ability have ever been in question. It also helps to have a winning mentality when you play years for a team that sweeps the board almost every season in the small pond that is Scottish football. 

It should be remembered as well that the history of football is littered with the shattered corpses of 'great' players with a 'winning mentality', who simply couldn't translate that into coaching or management. 

If we have a shite season next year, it'll be nothing to do with Brown's mentality. It'll be to do with the fact that we have a tiny pool of players, most of whom are not good enough at football to win things. 

All true but I’m making a point of not commenting on the squad until we actually have one. Just in terms of one of our marquee signings so far, I’m not convinced on how much value we’ll get on the pitch. 

55 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

All true but I’m making a point of not commenting on the squad until we actually have one. Just in terms of one of our marquee signings so far, I’m not convinced on how much value we’ll get on the pitch. 

When Robert Sime Aitken signed for the Dons he 1992, he was a year younger than Scott Brown at 34 and managed about 40 first team matches before ending up in the managerial chair.

William McNeill washed up at the Dons in 1977 at 37 years old and having retired two summers previous.

We can assume that Scott Brown has similar ambitions has both Aitken and McNeill in using Aberdeen as a managerial grounding for the Celtic job.

I think if Scott Brown manages around 50 appearances (like Aitken) for the Dons then he will have done well. However, like Aitken, we may find that the old warhorse is still willing to compete but may not have the physicality left to compete with younger opponents. However Aitken did manage to score at Ibrox and play in a League Cup Final (albeit ending in defeat).

I think it was telling in the interview yesterday that the first thing mentioned by Brown is the assistant manager's job. I thought Russell was the assistant manager but Brown indicated that it was he? Nevertheless, Brown's focus on Aberdeen is starting his coaching career with the long term view of management. Brown the player has about a year left him if that.

It will be interesting to see how Brown fares in relation to McNeill and Aitken. Ultimately, Aitken failed in his managerial ambitions despite winning silverware with the Dons, whilst McNeill had a long managerial career, and managed his beloved Celtic on a couple occasions and despite winning nothing with the Dons was generally considered a success and provided Fergie with the building blocks.

Just shows that winning silverware isn't necessarily the be all and end all. McNeill built the foundations of a winning team but won nothing, Aitken spent a lot of money on rubbish and built a team in trouble but won a cup and saved us from relegation.

The other comparison with Aitken and Brown is that they arrive on the management staff at Aberdeen in the early days of a new stewardship at board level. Milne's arrival coincided with Aberdeen in going into a near fatal tailspin that Aitken, at first, saved then contributed to...

4 hours ago, Sheep62 said:

Great to see he's still rattling around in there Willie 😉

The sheep are clearly lacking in winning mentality which Brown will provide on and off the park,Logan can't handle that.
Declan Gallagher also one with a shady past with football providing him with a second chance i'm sure he will take it, certainly an upgrade from Taylor and Hoban.

13 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The sheep are clearly lacking in winning mentality which Brown will provide on and off the park,Logan can't handle that.
Declan Gallagher also one with a shady past with football providing him with a second chance i'm sure he will take it, certainly an upgrade from Taylor and Hoban.

It's one thing having a "winning mentality" at the club with the biggest budget but I'm not sure how much it means at Aberdeen. Indeed, it didn't mean much for Celtic this last season because they won hee-haw...

Edited by Bogbrush1903

3 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

It's one thing having a "winning mentality" at the club with the biggest budget but I'm not sure it means much at Aberdeen. Indeed, it didn't mean much for Celtic this last season because they won hee-haw...

I'm talking up your signings and your having a pop at my club,I'll start with brown the sheep have been struggling to replace Shinnie there is no doubt Campbell and Ferguson have potential,Brown is a definite upgrade to Bryson regardless how many games he plays.