The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

9 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I get that not every signing will be a first pick and I'm reasonably happy with most of the signings we have done so far, but Gurr gives me the fear even as a back up. Nothing on his CV to date, at 25 years old, to suggest that he should be remotely capable at this level. I'm just clinging onto the fact that Glass has worked with him before so at least there's already a relationship there. 

What had Shay Logan done of note before he arrived?

12 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Played 90 league games for Brentford.

ETA: With Gurr clearing waivers that means not only did Atlanta not think he was good enough but none of the other teams in the MLS did either. 

Edited by Jute

30 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It has already been answered above, but Logan signed for us at a similar age to Gurr now, off the top of my head, and had accrued over 100 competitive games for Brentford and had a handful of loans at other Football League clubs under his belt too. I'm not convinced the two examples are really very comparable. 

I hope the lad surprises me and does well, as I hope for every Aberdeen player, but I wouldn't blame anyone for being skeptical about this one given what little we do know. 

Edited by DrewDon

15 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Its going to be a shit show isnt it?

Yeah I'm getting the fear now, especially after that recent interview that said basically "we've got the base of a good team here, even if we don't bring anyone else in we've still got a good squad". Felt like an attempt to dial down fan expectations so as not to expect much more signings. 

6 hours ago, Jute said:

Played 90 league games for Brentford.

ETA: With Gurr clearing waivers that means not only did Atlanta not think he was good enough but none of the other teams in the MLS did either. 

He’ll be gone in January when Glass is made aware that being released by the MLS means, at best, you’re a Scottish Championship player.

1 hour ago, Flammable sheep said:

Yeah I'm getting the fear now, especially after that recent interview that said basically "we've got the base of a good team here, even if we don't bring anyone else in we've still got a good squad". Felt like an attempt to dial down fan expectations so as not to expect much more signings. 

He is right in that he says we have the base of a good team here .     We already have signed 3 players this summer ,who for me will have  a big positive influence on our side next season.

We also have two very decent goalkeepers . Along with two very  young promising attacking fullbacks ,  who will get there opportunity next season and rightly so.

Signing lad Gurr for cover makes sense .  a lad they have watched  many times so  i will trust there judgment

Now looking like  Ramirez is coming,   and after 3 seasons of depressing signings this one excites me and makes me happy as life too short nae be .

The lad is nae coming for the money so  I will think that he has an ambition and intent to make this a success 

Ferguson transfer will have big bearing on  the next signings and would imagine it will be late in the window with regards more signings arriving. Its the beginning of June nae the end of August..   Many happy dandies out there who are liking what they are seeing so far. 

1 hour ago, logie skid boys said:

He is right in that he says we have the base of a good team here .     We already have signed 3 players this summer ,who for me will have  a big positive influence on our side next season.

We also have two very decent goalkeepers . Along with two very  young promising attacking fullbacks ,  who will get there opportunity next season and rightly so.

Signing lad Gurr for cover makes sense .  a lad they have watched  many times so  i will trust there judgment

Now looking like  Ramirez is coming,   and after 3 seasons of depressing signings this one excites me and makes me happy as life too short nae be .

The lad is nae coming for the money so  I will think that he has an ambition and intent to make this a success 

Ferguson transfer will have big bearing on  the next signings and would imagine it will be late in the window with regards more signings arriving. Its the beginning of June nae the end of August..   Many happy dandies out there who are liking what they are seeing so far. 

If they are planning in selling Ferguson then stop signing players like Gurr & re-signing Devlin.

Say we are to get £3m or whatever, then hold off signing players just now, as a chunk of the £3m could “upgrade” on a couple of key positions, such as a creative fast winger & a “no 10”. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, logie skid boys said:

Are you sure about that ? 

I'm not up or down so far....too busy concentrating on Scotland......but there's nothing about Cormack so far that persuades me he's anything other than (as somebody put it) a snake-oil salesman. 

We did this much vaunted and advertised tie-up with Atlanta almost 2 years ago, and so far it's given us Jon Gallagher, the wee boy lost at right back, and now some 25 year old from Atlanta reserves that has never played a game of football. On top of that we effectively sacked the league's most experienced manager, and our most succesful manager in a generation, so that we could bring in Cormack's inexperienced mate. 

We all hope that it turns out well, but you can't blame anyone for saying that the foundations of mediocrity have been laid. 

7 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

If they are planning in selling Ferguson then stop signing players like Gurr & re-signing Devlin.

Say we are to get £3m or whatever, then hold off signing players just now, as a chunk of the £3m could “upgrade” on a couple of key positions, such as a creative fast winger & a “no 10”. 

i would imagine its costing us hardly anything giving Devlin  contract for 6 months  and Gurr arriving, these signings are fillers which all squads needs , its not going to have an influence on  our season.  the ones who have arrived already and will arrive later in the window will. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Are you sure about that ? 

I'm not up or down so far....too busy concentrating on Scotland......but there's nothing about Cormack so far that persuades me he's anything other than (as somebody put it) a snake-oil salesman. 

We did this much vaunted and advertised tie-up with Atlanta almost 2 years ago, and so far it's given us Jon Gallagher, the wee boy lost at right back, and now some 25 year old from Atlanta reserves that has never played a game of football. On top of that we effectively sacked the league's most experienced manager, and our most succesful manager in a generation, so that we could bring in Cormack's inexperienced mate. 

We all hope that it turns out well, but you can't blame anyone for saying that the foundations of mediocrity have been laid. 

That is your opinion nae probs .  Regards  Cormack    he has delivered on a training facility , engaged with fans that has never happened at the club before ,  and he is open to a new stadium down the beach, oh  and got rid of a manager we all wanted shot off . Nae a bad start eh . early days time will tell if he is the snake oil salesman you think ..  

2 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

He’ll be gone in January when Glass is made aware that being released by the MLS means, at best, you’re a Scottish Championship player.

Surely, if anyone, Stephen Glass should be acutely aware of this fact already? 

1 hour ago, d31 said:

There is a long way to go in the transfer window yet. I'm hopeful we'll bring in 2 players of a higher level in the last third which is what we desperately need.

For the starting X1, I’d say we need;

Right back

Left centre half

No 10

Left winger

Centre forward.

One or two squad fillers too probably.

Hopefully will be a busy couple of weeks?