The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Would be a strange one as he seems to have been heavily involved for Middlesbrough this season so have to imagine someone in the championship would be willing to offer him better wages than Aberdeen are likely to.

Guest Bob Mahelp

He's played pretty much every game of the last 2 seasons for Boro. He is out of contract though, so who knows ?

1 hour ago, Hayshead2 said:

I've  noticed young Miko 🇫🇮 not even been on the bench for you guys. Is he injured or just out of favour.?? 🇱🇻

He was great when on loan with us.

Haven't read anything about an injury. Got a couple of late sub appearances and looked ok but hasn't been given another go.

10 hours ago, Hayshead2 said:

I've  noticed young Miko 🇫🇮 not even been on the bench for you guys. Is he injured or just out of favour.?? 🇱🇻

He was great when on loan with us.

He has been injured for the past few weeks.

Guest Bob Mahelp

The scale of the work to be done was writ large last night. 

A slow, ponderous build-up with 90% of the ball posession taking place with their backs to the opposition goal, allowing the other team to set their defence while we're still knocking balls sideways in midfield. 

An astonishing lack of pace in the side. A huge thanks to Jonny Hayes for all his years, but he has nothing left in the tank. And yet he's probably the fastest player we still have. 

On top of that, because we can never create or take chances, there's always the chance for the opposition to nick a stupid goal as our defence turns off as it did last night. 

All in all, we're downright turgid. And have been for 6 months now. 

There's a lot of work here for Glass. I'm never keen on 'clear outs' as I believe in building teams over a few seasons, but for the first time since McInnes arrived in 2013 we badly need one. 

A big thank you to Hayes, McGinn and probably big Andy, but it's time to step back. Goodbye to Kennedy, nowhere good enough for Aberdeen. The loan players will all leave....Hendry has tried hard, but none of them are the 20 goal a season striker we need. I'm tempted to throw McLennan on the bonfire, but a season on loan in the Championship may do him some good. 

Woods will step back into the reserve role, but I'd like to see the captaincy taken away from Lewis and handed to a leader. 

It's a huge rebuilding job if we're to compete next season for 3rd place and in the cups. We're loaded with midfielders and have nothing up front. There seem to be no forwards ready to step up from the U-21s, so it'll all have to be bought in. 

Concerning times. At the moment we're heading for a bottom 6 finish next season. Glass has 2 months and 18 days to put a new team together. 

13 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The scale of the work to be done was writ large last night. 

A slow, ponderous build-up with 90% of the ball posession taking place with their backs to the opposition goal, allowing the other team to set their defence while we're still knocking balls sideways in midfield. 

An astonishing lack of pace in the side. A huge thanks to Jonny Hayes for all his years, but he has nothing left in the tank. And yet he's probably the fastest player we still have. 

On top of that, because we can never create or take chances, there's always the chance for the opposition to nick a stupid goal as our defence turns off as it did last night. 

All in all, we're downright turgid. And have been for 6 months now. 

There's a lot of work here for Glass. I'm never keen on 'clear outs' as I believe in building teams over a few seasons, but for the first time since McInnes arrived in 2013 we badly need one. 

A big thank you to Hayes, McGinn and probably big Andy, but it's time to step back. Goodbye to Kennedy, nowhere good enough for Aberdeen. The loan players will all leave....Hendry has tried hard, but none of them are the 20 goal a season striker we need. I'm tempted to throw McLennan on the bonfire, but a season on loan in the Championship may do him some good. 

Woods will step back into the reserve role, but I'd like to see the captaincy taken away from Lewis and handed to a leader. 

It's a huge rebuilding job if we're to compete next season for 3rd place and in the cups. We're loaded with midfielders and have nothing up front. There seem to be no forwards ready to step up from the U-21s, so it'll all have to be bought in. 

Concerning times. At the moment we're heading for a bottom 6 finish next season. Glass has 2 months and 18 days to put a new team together. 

I'm not quite as pessimistic as you but not a million miles off.

I think a lot of the play from back to middle was pretty decent last night and not exclusively ponderous (until the last 20-30 minutes when we just ran out of ideas). The lack of confidence/cutting edge/decision making in the final third is criminal though. Kennedy in the second half running onto the ball in the box, turns back and lays it out to Mckenzie. Kamberi getting into the box and taking about 30 seconds to pick a pass before being bodied off the ball. Hayes crossing is little more than hopeful, Hendry scooping over from 8 yards, the general unwillingness to test the goalkeeper. It's been the same story for months now. Absolutely zero risk taking in the pursuit of a goal.

Inevitably, it doesn't matter how much you keep the oppositions threat quiet over 90 minutes, they only need one chance to beat you.

I think defensively if we could tie up one of Taylor/Hoban, plus Considine, Gallagher and apparently Clark fucking Robertson. We're almost set there but we'd need full backs to come in if Ramsay/Mckenzie aren't quite ready to play every week.

The top end of the pitch is a real job on to recruit for and other than Hedges there's no one I'm really happy with currently.

31 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm not quite as pessimistic as you but not a million miles off.

I think a lot of the play from back to middle was pretty decent last night and not exclusively ponderous (until the last 20-30 minutes when we just ran out of ideas). The lack of confidence/cutting edge/decision making in the final third is criminal though. Kennedy in the second half running onto the ball in the box, turns back and lays it out to Mckenzie. Kamberi getting into the box and taking about 30 seconds to pick a pass before being bodied off the ball. Hayes crossing is little more than hopeful, Hendry scooping over from 8 yards, the general unwillingness to test the goalkeeper. It's been the same story for months now. Absolutely zero risk taking in the pursuit of a goal.

Inevitably, it doesn't matter how much you keep the oppositions threat quiet over 90 minutes, they only need one chance to beat you.

I think defensively if we could tie up one of Taylor/Hoban, plus Considine, Gallagher and apparently Clark fucking Robertson. We're almost set there but we'd need full backs to come in if Ramsay/Mckenzie aren't quite ready to play every week.

The top end of the pitch is a real job on to recruit for and other than Hedges there's no one I'm really happy with currently.

I think this is closer to how I feel than Bob.

I thought we looked a better team than Hibs last night. The problem is they have three players who are almost guaranteed to score a goal between them each game. If we score one of the relatively easy chances we had last night then we're not even having this conversation. It was only a few months ago where we'd get maybe one half chance a game and it would fall to Curtis Main,

Agree entirely about certain players being slow and ponderous near the box. Kennedy is especially poor for it. Just drive at a man, draw a foul or a corner if you're not going to beat him. No, ever time he checks back.

We've fucked about with Jonny Hayes at left back for a season when we've had MacKenzie under our nose. For about 75 mins he looked equal to Doig until he ran out of steam. Getting him to play as consistently well as Doig over the course of a season is the next challenge. I'm struggling to believe that half a season at Forfar prepared him as well as this for first team football but I could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I think this is closer to how I feel than Bob.

I thought we looked a better team than Hibs last night. The problem is they have three players who are almost guaranteed to score a goal between them each game. If we score one of the relatively easy chances we had last night then we're not even having this conversation. It was only a few months ago where we'd get maybe one half chance a game and it would fall to Curtis Main,

Agree entirely about certain players being slow and ponderous near the box. Kennedy is especially poor for it. Just drive at a man, draw a foul or a corner if you're not going to beat him. No, ever time he checks back.

We've fucked about with Jonny Hayes at left back for a season when we've had MacKenzie under our nose. For about 75 mins he looked equal to Doig until he ran out of steam. Getting him to play as consistently well as Doig over the course of a season is the next challenge. I'm struggling to believe that half a season at Forfar prepared him as well as this for first team football but I could be wrong.

Aye, too many 'safe' players in attack. Hedges wasn't amazing last night but what he does is try and play in tight areas in and around the box with one touch passing. Ferguson does this too and Kamberi attempts it but has been pretty shite. It doesn't always come off but the likes of Mclennan, Kennedy and unfortunately now Hayes just want the ball in a relatively safe wide area to swing in a cross that virtually always gets nowhere. We need to get that attacking philosophy in the bin.

Mckenzie was the only silver lining last night, very accomplished defensively and did well against Boyle a few times. A bit of development needed on the ball and as an attacking threat mind, but that should come.