The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, whole point of me doing this was so I can "profile" players I know nothing about.

Just testing it on players I do know something about to see how accurate I can get it.

It’s alien to me,  it an interesting concept. No doubt some clubs must use something like this already.

9 hours ago, G51 said:

RG is right about CB's - the only useful metric for judging a CB is aerial duels. The rest of defending is about doing stuff off the ball, and there's (currently) no real way for stats to measure that. Or at least, that's the case for the stats that are available to chair moisteners like us.

On Lewis Ferguson - I think he basically becomes Scott Arfield (and he may already be there). I think you want him making runs off the ball and getting into scoring positions, while grafting like f**k every game.

Interesting comparison to Arfield, hadn’t thought of that before.

Ferguson looks a bit bulkier than Arfield. Those type of roles is so important to have speed, agility and quickness. 

5 minutes ago, big al said:

Interesting comparison to Arfield, hadn’t thought of that before.

Ferguson looks a bit bulkier than Arfield. Those type of roles is so important to have speed, agility and quickness. 

He is bulkier than Arfield, no doubt. That’s not a bad thing though. I think Ferguson is quick enough over five or ten yards to play the role.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

He is bulkier than Arfield, no doubt. That’s not a bad thing though. I think Ferguson is quick enough over five or ten yards to play the role.

To go up the levels to the top, so much emphasis on speed and distance covered etc. Hope Ferguson hasn’t concentrated too much on the strength side. Most top footballers in those type of roles are wirey as extra weight hinders them.

Decent comparison to Arfield though. Certainly the deep midfield role Ferguson has played at times under McIness isn’t his most effective.

5 minutes ago, big al said:

To go up the levels to the top, so much emphasis on speed and distance covered etc. Hope Ferguson hasn’t concentrated too much on the strength side. Most top footballers in those type of roles are wirey as extra weight hinders them.

Decent comparison to Arfield though. Certainly the deep midfield role Ferguson has played at times under McIness isn’t his most effective.

I don’t think he needs to be that fast though, he just needs to be clever. I don’t think Arfield is particularly fast either, but he never stops running and he knows what runs to make between and behind defenders in order to cause chaos.

I think Ferguson’s physicality is absolutely fine for going up a gear. He’s not a great passer, much like Arfield, and that’s probably what limits his ceiling.

19 minutes ago, G51 said:

I don’t think he needs to be that fast though, he just needs to be clever. I don’t think Arfield is particularly fast either, but he never stops running and he knows what runs to make between and behind defenders in order to cause chaos.

I think Ferguson’s physicality is absolutely fine for going up a gear. He’s not a great passer, much like Arfield, and that’s probably what limits his ceiling.

To be fair to Arfield, he played 3 seasons in one of the top 5 leagues, has played for his country in the Gold Cup and has captained his country so his ceiling wasn’t exactly low when you compare him to a lot of people.

Lewis Ferguson looks a cracking player and hopefully will improve even more under Glass but if his career follows a similar trajectory to Arfields then he’ll have had a helluva successful career.

4 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

To be fair to Arfield, he played 3 seasons in one of the top 5 leagues, has played for his country in the Gold Cup and has captained his country so his ceiling wasn’t exactly low when you compare him to a lot of people.

Lewis Ferguson looks a cracking player and hopefully will improve even more under Glass but if his career follows a similar trajectory to Arfields then he’ll have had a helluva successful career.

Oh yeah, definitely. Arfields won the English Championship and Scottish Premiership, played multiple seasons in the EPL, played European knockout football, captained a national team - it’s a great career. If Ferguson does all that, he’ll have been a really good player. 

I just wouldn’t want either of them being asked to spray the ball about in midfield.

5 hours ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Striker inbound*

*hopefully! Three other clubs in league one after him too 

JET, oooo oooo, oooo, oooo, oooo, oooo, oooo, oooo, oooo

JET (repeat)

Copyright Paul McCartney

10 hours ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Striker inbound*

Cosgrove useless......blah blah.....Sale of Goods Act....blah blah.... not fit for purpose....blah blah.... Birmingham kept the receipt

11 hours ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Striker inbound*

English based then I presume? 

I've seen us linked with the guy Dion Charles... quick youtube for a look... goodness all the games look like their from the highland league behind closed doors. Surreal

I like Jake Doyle-Hayes at St Mirren, out-of-contract at the end of the season. Been impressed every time I have seen him against us this season and again watching him in the semi-final this afternoon. Then again, another central midfielder is hardly the most pressing priority at the moment.