The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

14 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

f**k sake, what do we pay you for 

*shrugs*

I'm currently completely obsessing myself with trying to grade/rate CMs and see if I can show them progressing, as I'm terrified thinking about tomorrows game. Ferguson over the past 3 seasons, against Ferguson this season. Still looks to be progressing and is now too good for this level, IMO.

Fergusn.thumb.png.8a5908f8a7c79b563b269cc090c2a855.png

System is less kind to Campbell and McCrorie...

Edited by RandomGuy.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

*shrugs*

I'm currently completely obsessing myself with trying to grade/rate CMs and see if I can show them progressing, as I'm terrified thinking about tomorrows game. Ferguson over the past 3 seasons, against Ferguson this season. Still looks to be progressing and is now too good for this level, IMO.

Fergusn.thumb.png.8a5908f8a7c79b563b269cc090c2a855.png

System is less kind to Campbell and McCrorie...

Ha let's see.

Surely not a large enough sample size for Campbell in previous seasons? Mostly came off the bench.

15 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Ha let's see.

Surely not a large enough sample size for Campbell in previous seasons? Mostly came off the bench.

Harsh system, but...

MCCC.thumb.png.9bc86f4d417cb6b575b0b0a68dc47495.png

McCrorie isn't improving this season really, and is now 23, so low potential justified I think. Not sure he fits a possession based side yet.

Campb.thumb.png.655da99de4561fa643a441a878a218be.png

Campbell overall with low potential, you can see why. Will only be any use as a the deeper CM in a role, in a side who have lots of the ball.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Harsh system, but...

McCrorie isn't improving this season really, and is now 23, so low potential justified I think. Not sure he fits a possession based side yet.

Campbell overall with low potential, you can see why. Will only be any use as a the deeper CM in a role, in a side who have lots of the ball.

McCrories form went off a cliff. I can see him play RB going forward.

Agreed on Campbell. That's the role he'll play.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

McCrories form went off a cliff. I can see him play RB going forward.

I can honestly see McCrorie dropping to a team like us and excelling, simply as he'll have the freedom to just charge about. 

Won't be anything wrong on Aberdeens side, he'll just fit in better when hes got less to do on the ball.

I see Cosgrove started for Birmingham today. Hooked at half-time and his replacement, Jutkiewicz, scored within five minutes of coming on. Starting to think that £2m might have been decent business. 

2 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I see Cosgrove started for Birmingham today. Hooked at half-time and his replacement, Jutkiewicz, scored within five minutes of coming on. Starting to think that £2m might have been decent business. 

He will be back to us on loan next season given the extent of our scouting network 

23 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Cormack was a bit scathing of him at the Q&A. Something along the lines of "and he was hardly prolific for us this season."

Took that as "we walked out wearing stripey jumpers and a bag of cash."

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Harsh system, but...

Don’t need any formulas or tables to work out McCrorie isn’t a possession midfielder.

Far too limited for that position unless he’s the only defensive mid and has some flair players around him with good movement. Ferguson and Campbell don’t fall into that category hence why it doesn’t work.

Don’t need any formulas or tables to work out McCrorie isn’t a possession midfielder.
Far too limited for that position unless he’s the only defensive mid and has some flair players around him with good movement. Ferguson and Campbell don’t fall into that category hence why it doesn’t work.

I wonder if McRorie was hit particularly hard by Covid, he wasn’t the same player after that.
No need to write him off though

10 minutes ago, scottorae said:

I wonder if McRorie was hit particularly hard by Covid, he wasn’t the same player after that.

Not writing him off as a signing, just as a centre midfielder.

Scott Brown now in as well as defensive mid, maybe McCrorie will drop into defence?

I also think he was - just a completely different player after that.

He was bossing games earlier in the season, albeit in a more functioning team overall.

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 hours ago, scottorae said:

This. 

All the graphs,  statistics and computer programmes in the world can't factor in the fact that McCrorie caught a serious virus and wasn't the same player after it. 

Before the SFA gave him covid, he was bossing midfields. After it, he was half the player he was before. 

Writing him off is ridiculous. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

5 hours ago, big al said:

Yeah, whole point of me doing this was so I can "profile" players I know nothing about.

Just testing it on players I do know something about to see how accurate I can get it.

RG is right about CB's - the only useful metric for judging a CB is aerial duels. The rest of defending is about doing stuff off the ball, and there's (currently) no real way for stats to measure that. Or at least, that's the case for the stats that are available to chair moisteners like us.

On Lewis Ferguson - I think he basically becomes Scott Arfield (and he may already be there). I think you want him making runs off the ball and getting into scoring positions, while grafting like f**k every game.

10 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

I've always thought this of Ferguson. He's wasted in a deeper role, hoping Glass sees this too. 

Aye. Ultimately, finishing is valuable and Ferguson can finish. There's no reason why you should play a player who can score goals further away from the opposition goal.

I wonder if a lower-end Premiership/top-end Championship team will take a hard look at him this summer. If I was a Norwich/Watford/Bournemouth type then I would.