The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

9 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm not sure if this publicity drive will work in any shape or form. 

There are 3 facts here that are pretty much written in stone ;

-Aberdeen's 'potential support' is easily the 3rd biggest in Scotland. The 40k plus at Celtic Park confirms that. 

-Aberdeen have, on a regular basis for years now, the 3rd biggest away support in Scotland. 

-Taking into account the facts above, Aberdeen have a relatively poor home support...and always have. It would be astonishing if we could sell over 12k season tickets, as we've never done that in the past. Even in the 83/84 glory days, I still think we had around 8k season ticket holders. 

Dave Cormack has fine ideas, but let's see how many of them actually come off. 

This will be Wicks.

I don't expect it to be a great success but at the same time I can't criticise the club for not trying to do something different without recognising the merit behind this idea.

15,000 season tickets is pie in the sky but its not a big deal to set it as a 3-5 year target. Particularly if they are almost giving them away to u12s. I've only glanced at it but looked like i could get my loon a season ticket for £40

I think it’s great the club are being ambitious but tbh I’d be surprised if there’s a big increase on this seasons numbers. 

Combination of the economic reality facing the city, uncertainty over attending games, the season we’ve had and the relatively indifferent start under glass is hardly great momentum to to kick on with. 

Big signings would help, but the 15k target is over the next few years. Nobody is suggesting it’s a target for this summer.

Biggest issue at the moment is 8k or whatever it was season books were purchased last year and never got to a game. Will there be the same level of goodwill this year? People are fed up with restrictions but no announcements about how many fans back at games and when. This uncertainty will make season book sales slow at the moment I would think. 

12 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm not sure if this publicity drive will work in any shape or form. 

There are 3 facts here that are pretty much written in stone ;

-Aberdeen's 'potential support' is easily the 3rd biggest in Scotland. The 40k plus at Celtic Park confirms that. 

-Aberdeen have, on a regular basis for years now, the 3rd biggest away support in Scotland. 

-Taking into account the facts above, Aberdeen have a relatively poor home support...and always have. It would be astonishing if we could sell over 12k season tickets, as we've never done that in the past. Even in the 83/84 glory days, I still think we had around 8k season ticket holders. 

Dave Cormack has fine ideas, but let's see how many of them actually come off. 

Aye, average attendances were around the 15000 mark in Fergie's time. Was also during an oil boom. 

Well, safe to say next weekend is a massive game. For pride more than anything given we can't actually get the good European spot anymore.

Edit: Next Wednesday rather.

Edited by Illgresi

15 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Brazil 1970 still can’t shake off the worst Aberdeen side in a generation.

We played like Bon Accord circa 1885 today................................

1 hour ago, Illgresi said:

Well, safe to say next weekend is a massive game. For pride more than anything given we can't actually get the good European spot anymore.

Edit: Next Wednesday rather.

2nd?

3rd is still there. A massive ask though.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

2nd?

I think 3rd will be shite for you regardless, as the winners of the Scottish Cup get the best remaining European spot.

In terms of Europe you'll, effectively, be finishing 4th this season regardless.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

2nd?

When I said good European spot, I wasn't referring to the Champions League spot. I was referring to the (essentially) direct entry to the Europa Conference League group stages, that goes to the cup winners, unless the cup is won by either of the top two; neither of whom are still in the competition obviously.

8 minutes ago, G-MAN said:

Amazing what happens with McGeouch finally starting in that position. He was excellent today.

Was he? Thought he was ok.

I thought Livi deserved a draw over the 90 mins. Hard place to win though.

Thomas again a handful upfront.

3 minutes ago, big al said:

Was he? Thought he was ok.

I thought Livi deserved a draw over the 90 mins. Hard place to win though.

Thomas again a handful upfront.

I thought McGeouch was very good defensively but at times even more negative than Campbell on the ball.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think 3rd will be shite for you regardless, as the winners of the Scottish Cup get the best remaining European spot.

In terms of Europe you'll, effectively, be finishing 4th this season regardless.

I'm nor so fussed about the european spot as I am finishing as highly up the table as possible.

22 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

When I said good European spot, I wasn't referring to the Champions League spot. I was referring to the (essentially) direct entry to the Europa Conference League group stages, that goes to the cup winners, unless the cup is won by either of the top two; neither of whom are still in the competition obviously.

Is there much more money in the ECP then the Europa?

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

3rd obviously won’t be shite, don’t know why you would say that. 3rd would prove that we are the third best team in the country, and get us more prize money than finishing fourth.  It’s extremely unlikely that we will be third, given that we would have to get at least a point at Ibrox, and other results go our way, but it is a remote possibility.

19 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm nor so fussed about the european spot as I am finishing as highly up the table as possible.

It's more that it'll be guaranteed ECL group football (still with the chance of EL groups).

It'll be significantly more money than getting to the 3rd qualifying round of the EL, that's for sure.

17 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I've seen figures quoted of potentially 3 million for the conference group stages.