The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Very much doubt I’ll watch us again this season. Abhorrent today but no use getting bent out of shape. we knew the squad was poor and we’re trying to implement new things. 

Time for a well earned break from worrying about this nonsense. 

23 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Given that 4th is more or less a given now what do we do? Play the young guys and the players we know will be here next season?

I could suffer a few defeats if MacKenzie, Ramsay, Ross etc  are getting some game time in the managers system.

He'll likely get the senior players as many minutes as possible to see if they adapt or not.

That was pretty much the ending this season has warranted, unfortunately. Just too many of the worst aspects of our play this season condensed into one ninety-minute calamity.

It's going to have to be a busy summer for Glass and the club, and some tough decisions are going to have to be made. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

After the efforts of Wednesday night, we looked really flat and well off the pace. 

Hayes, McGinn, pretty much everyone looked knackered right from the first minute. It's worrying that Glass stood and watched that and did nothing about it until it was all too late. 

McGeough should have been brought on after 20 minutes to give us a bit of control over the game,  but everyone (including Glass) spent the whole first half like a rabbit caught in the headlights. 

That should be the end of the road for quite a few players..... I doubt if Hayes, McGinn, Hendry and Kamberi will be with is next season, Kennedy and even Hoban may get moved on, and it will probably be the end of the line for big Andy. 

That's 7 of the team that started today I suspect unlikely to be there or feature much come August. 8, if you include Woods. 

As said above, there's not much point of getting worked up about this....it's all just a continuation of pretty much every Saturday since December. 

It's fair to say that Glass has got a job on his hands in the summer. For the rest of us it's time for a well deserved break from this nonsense. 

1 hour ago, HalfCutNinja said:

That's going well eh. Its almost as if sacking your 3rd most successful manager of all time for a complete rookie cause he's the owner's mate isn't a good idea. Who knew?

Ooof big talk

Enjoy your win today, I’ve just about stopped laughing at the fact you spent the last 4 years in the seaside leagues 

Glass gambled and lost.  You can't go all out to defeat Celtic on the Wednesday & expect the same level of performance from pretty much the same players on the Sunday, minus Mackenzie & McCrorie.  You could argue that we could have kept our hopes for third alive by beating Celtic, but that was more unlikely than beating United today.  Can only hope Glass learns from this.  Have no idea the calibre of player Glass hopes to bring in in the summer, so can't get pessimistic or optimistic about what we'll be like next season at this point.  All the players who are out of contract & not likely to stay beyond the end of the season shouldn't get a look in for the rest of the season, game's a bogey in that respect.     

21 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

After the efforts of Wednesday night, we looked really flat and well off the pace. 

Hayes, McGinn, pretty much everyone looked knackered right from the first minute. It's worrying that Glass stood and watched that and did nothing about it until it was all too late. 

McGeough should have been brought on after 20 minutes to give us a bit of control over the game,  but everyone (including Glass) spent the whole first half like a rabbit caught in the headlights. 

That should be the end of the road for quite a few players..... I doubt if Hayes, McGinn, Hendry and Kamberi will be with is next season, Kennedy and even Hoban may get moved on, and it will probably be the end of the line for big Andy. 

That's 7 of the team that started today I suspect unlikely to be there or feature much come August. 8, if you include Woods. 

As said above, there's not much point of getting worked up about this....it's all just a continuation of pretty much every Saturday since December. 

It's fair to say that Glass has got a job on his hands in the summer. For the rest of us it's time for a well deserved break from this nonsense. 

I don't think Hayes will be going anywhere. Took a years deferral of wages yo sign didn't he?

Still can't believe we took him back.

Dundee United sensibly realised Wednesday mattered not at all and rested all their main men. It showed today. They were sharper all over the pitch.

As for us yet another gutless showing in a big Cup tie. There has been way too many in recent years and it resembled the two shambolic 3-0 defeats to Motherwell a few years ago.

If it hadn't been for Gary Woods that would have been 5 or 6 today.

I bet Nisbet, Doidge, Boyle, Morelos, Roofe and Kent are licking their lips in anticipation in the number of chances to score they will get when they face Aberdeen in the next few weeks.

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I don't think Hayes will be going anywhere. Took a years deferral of wages yo sign didn't he?

Still can't believe we took him back.

I hate criticising Hayes because his effort is superb, but he's been a nightmare at left back for most of this season. His pace can no longer compensate for his lack of positional ability at full back.

Equally McGinn. A great servant to the club, but there was one through ball from Ferguson in the first half where he chased it looking like he was towing a caravan. 

Kamberi and Kennedy were utterly lost today, leaving Ferguson and Campbell to try and plug the huge gaps in front of our defence. 

McGeough should have started, or at the very least brought on after 20 minutes to give us some control back. But no. 

Awful from everyone involved with the team today, including Glass. Maybe I'll excuse Woods, he saved us from a real doing. 

10 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I hate criticising Hayes because his effort is superb, but he's been a nightmare at left back for most of this season. His pace can no longer compensate for his lack of positional ability at full back.

Equally McGinn. A great servant to the club, but there was one through ball from Ferguson in the first half where he chased it looking like he was towing a caravan. 

Hayes is never a LB.  Shows the imbalance in the squad that we had no other option with Mackenzie cup tied & Considine playing at CB with Taylor being unavailable.  Ross should have started ahead of McGinn, given McGinn's age & the fact that he played on Wednesday.  Hopefully something to learn from for Glass. 

We would have been knocked out in the last round, which admittedly might not have been a bad thing in hindsight, if not for McGinn. Presumably Glass is starting him because he is still the player we have who is most likely to produce genuine moments of quality in the final third. 

1 hour ago, Golden Gordon said:

Glass gambled and lost.  You can't go all out to defeat Celtic on the Wednesday & expect the same level of performance from pretty much the same players on the Sunday, minus Mackenzie & McCrorie.  You could argue that we could have kept our hopes for third alive by beating Celtic, but that was more unlikely than beating United today.  Can only hope Glass learns from this.  Have no idea the calibre of player Glass hopes to bring in in the summer, so can't get pessimistic or optimistic about what we'll be like next season at this point.  All the players who are out of contract & not likely to stay beyond the end of the season shouldn't get a look in for the rest of the season, game's a bogey in that respect.     

I think that he had to go after Celtic on Wednesday, and I certainly don’t blame him for it with third still a vague possibility if we had won. I have absolutely no doubt that today’s performance was dictated by the extra time efforts on Saturday, followed by Wednesday night’s exertions. Then couple that with most of United’s players having rested since the previous Friday, and you can understand some of the reasons for today’s show. But I wouldn’t have said “let’s take a pumping on Wednesday so that we might beat United with a fresh team”. Even with slightly superior fitness, Aberdeen’s eleven today should have been good enough to beat a lower than average United team, without their main match winner, Siegrist.

Three games in eight days and the poor lads are tired.

Come on - possibly valid if the game was Saturday, but the Sunday fixture negates that excuse.

To me the problem was complete naïveté - Mellon’s tactics were good, but also fkin obvious.

We had no answer and changed nothing - that was worryingly Sigma Olomouc like or Skovdahl’s first game v Celtic - I really hope we’re not heading back to the dark days of teams walking through our defence with ease.

Hey, but we’ll be expansive and exciting.

2 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Come on - possibly valid if the game was Saturday, but the Sunday fixture negates that excuse.

To me the problem was complete naïveté - Mellon’s tactics were good, but also fkin obvious.

We had no answer and changed nothing - that was worryingly Sigma Olomouc like or Skovdahl’s first game v Celtic - I really hope we’re not heading back to the dark days of teams walking through our defence with ease.

Jeez man, it’s Stephen Glass’s third game in charge, he’s working with no players of his own, and because he’s had three matches since he’s come in less than 2 weeks ago he’s had little time on the training pitch. Have a little perspective here. 

I don’t think it’s fair to start making statements about glass. We have a whole pre season and summer of recruitment to go through before we even think about that. 

The risks of the new way of playing have been exposed already so we need to see how glass develops and reacts as we evolve. 

5 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

🙄

You've been spewing this before Derek left.

How you can't think extra time Saturday, Wednesday then Sunday shouldn't be a factor us beyond me. If that's the case then why did United rest half their team?

It's not why we lost but it's certainly a factor. Half the players could barely run by 80mins against Celtic.