The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

24 minutes ago, A96 said:

We then go to Ibrox on the last day with no pressure and give the Hvns their first league defeat , winning 3- nil with goals from Paul Wright , Oooh- Aahh Van der Ark and a Jim Bett free kick from 35 yards.

What a performance that was. ..Hearing the net ripple, the screams of yesss in the silent stadium and Jazza turning away punching the air with a huge smile on his face...

Of course Hibs are huge favourites and should have it tied up by now.

For the Dons to have a chance Hibs; lose to Aberdeen, Rangers and Celtic and win one and draw one from the remaining two.

It leaves the Dons needing to;

beat Hibs and Livingston and beat one of Rangers/Celtic.

Not impossible but highly unlikely. Would I dare say a Scottish Cup win is shorter odds? That gives some context

Edited by d31

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

He's right. Even more embarrassing for us, since Shay Logan signed (7 years, not 10), Hearts have actually won 2 championship trophies.

Minter for us.

This thread took a strange turn last night, at the point where we had a Jambo gloating about winning a lower league title, and a Hibee laughing at our poor record in the league 7 or 8 years ago, at the exact point where they got relegated.

I'm gonna presume that alcohol was involved somewhere, and forgive them both. 

On 09/04/2021 at 14:54, highland_mechanic said:

And I thought it was only us who were meant to still be living in the 1980s.

Hope his knee doesn't buckle under the strain of all those medals he holds.

He hardly straps them to his knee, does he?

I fail to completely understand the media hype about Hibs. They are only four points ahead of Aberdeen with four games left, so Hibs could still end up below Aberdeen in the league. Both teams have lost the same amount of games, 10, and Aberdeen have lost 2 fewer goals than Hibs. But Aberdeen are absolute shite, and Hibs are one of the best teams to grace the Premiership in last 20 years. They apparently have Nisbet, Doig and Porteous who will sell for millions, whilst Aberdeen are needing a complete clear out. I know we have been really poor since December, but sense tells me that Hibs really aren’t that much better, if at all.

13 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I fail to completely understand the media hype about Hibs. They are only four points ahead of Aberdeen with four games left, so Hibs could still end up below Aberdeen in the league. Both teams have lost the same amount of games, 10, and Aberdeen have lost 2 fewer goals than Hibs. But Aberdeen are absolute shite, and Hibs are one of the best teams to grace the Premiership in last 20 years. They apparently have Nisbet, Doig and Porteous who will sell for millions, whilst Aberdeen are needing a complete clear out. I know we have been really poor since December, but sense tells me that Hibs really aren’t that much better, if at all.

I don’t think Hibs are much better than Aberdeen, but I do think they are currently better looking at it as a neutral.

Aberdeen had a good start to the season and maybe without losing players like Cosgrove, Wright and Hedges then they might well be ahead, but going by our games against the two sides, they’ve always gave us a tougher test than Aberdeen have.

I think it’s definitely exaggerating if anyone has suggested that they’re one of the best teams in the last 20 years, but they do have a good squad.

Edited by AJF

9 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Thats probably a reasonable, sensible assesment.

But not half as funny as watching Aberdeen fans losing their shit over it.

22 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Thats probably a reasonable, sensible assesment.

But not half as funny as watching Aberdeen fans losing their shit over it.

I’ve  lost none of my shit. I know exactly where I’ve put it.

23 minutes ago, AJF said:

I don’t think Hibs are much better than Aberdeen, but I do think they are currently better looking at it as a neutral.

Aberdeen had a good start to the season and maybe without losing players like Cosgrove, Wright and Hedges then they might well be ahead, but going by our games against the two sides, they’ve always gave us a tougher test than Aberdeen have.

I think it’s definitely exaggerating if anyone has suggested that they’re one of the best teams in the last 20 years, but they do have a good squad.

Fair enough. But my point is that over the season there’s very little in it, and if Hibs were really as good as they’re made out to be they would have sewn up third place a couple of months ago.

26 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

By whom?

I think this is a myth

I don’t write these things down, it’s the sort of stuff that’s said all the time on various programmes that I listen to. But I’ll certain agree with you that it’s a myth.

I think it’s fair to say this hibs team is considerably better than the Aberdeen of 2021. 

The Aberdeen of October/September 20 was probably better than this hibs side but that’s gone now. Hibs have been decent and steady all season so they’ll finish 3rd. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
21 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think it’s fair to say this hibs team is considerably better than the Aberdeen of 2021. 

The Aberdeen of October/September 20 was probably better than this hibs side but that’s gone now. Hibs have been decent and steady all season so they’ll finish 3rd. 

I agree.  And I'd say that Hamilton are better than the Aberdeen of 2021. 

But surprisingly Hibs are only 4 points ahead of us.  We've both lost the same number of games and we've conceded fewer goals. The only difference is they've won 2 games more than us over 34 games. Over the last 5 games we actually have a better record than them. 

If we had maintained even half the form we had earlier in the season after New Year we would be 10 points in front of them now. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

12 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I agree.  And I'd say that Hamilton are better than the Aberdeen of 2021. 

But surprisingly Hibs are only 4 points ahead of us.  We've both lost the same number of games and we've conceded fewer goals. The only difference is they've won 2 games more than us over 34 games. Over the last 5 games we actually have a better record than them. 

If we had maintained even half the form we had earlier in the season after New Year we would be 10 points in front of them now. 

Would be interesting to know how many of our 52 points came before November.