The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp

I said last week that what we desperately needed was a couple of scrappy, hard fought 1-0 wins, to try and give the team some momentum and confidence. 

One came along today, and I'd settle for the same next weekend. 

The cup game is now huge for the club....a win and we've got a home quarter final against an Arab side that we definitely owe a thrashing/flukey narrow defeat. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, TonyFerrino said:

Not for want of trying.  

Screenshot_20210410-224429_BBC Sport.jpg

Deary me. That takes a bit of a brass neck, for somebody who supports a team who were subjected to this...

image.jpeg.ec59b4ea5fc4d961623b6c7b86ed2e5c.jpeg

As a club, we're not so naive as to realise in 100+ seasons, we were never going to have that one particular 'season from hell'. 

Thereby the club chose the season where it was determined before the first ball was kicked that there was no automatic relegation to try a wee experiment with a rather eccentric Danish manager, who'd had reasonable success at a couple of big clubs.

The Edinburgh and Dundee clubs meanwhile still spend their years yo-yo'ing between divisions.

3 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Agree with that. It's a real sliding doors moment for the lad. He looks a prospect on limited evidence, but enough to give him an extended run imo, and make a call about the left back spot in the summer.

Plays with a freedom that Tosher on RedTV jokingly commented "we'll soon knock that out of him". Granted got a few minor mistakes in him, but he's still young, and it's all about how quickly he learns from those mistakes.

Also, I thought Hoban was absolutely back to his best today.

I thought both Considine and especially Hoban were much better than recent weeks. 

On the topic of centre-backs, did Sheerin mention anything about where Taylor was today? Injured, or down in England finalising a contract?

14 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

On the topic of centre-backs, did Sheerin mention anything about where Taylor was today? Injured, or down in England finalising a contract?

He hasn't played since it was announced he was leaving in the summer.

Thought he was missed at Dumbarton, who won far too many aerial challenges and caused us a few problems last week - today Hoban and Considine both very good once they settled down after the shaky opening period from the whole team.

47 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I thought both Considine and especially Hoban were much better than recent weeks. 

I do recall mention that Taylor is injured/unfit. Can't remember whether that was Sheerin's pre-match interview, or whether it was at some point during the RedTV coverage.

A thought I've had...In the public announcements, the club specifically stated Brown would be coming in as a player/coach, and Russell has been brought in as a striking or attacking coach. So we still don't have an assistant manager.

Either, Glass is really coming in as a head coach, and we'll appoint a DoF, or he's still to appoint an assistant manager. Given Sheerin's comments that he's not sure on his role going forward, I wonder if Glass will make him his assistant?

5 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Have to remember the saintees don’t have anything that even vaguely resembles a decent striker.

5 hours ago, Illgresi said:

A thought I've had...In the public announcements, the club specifically stated Brown would be coming in as a player/coach, and Russell has been brought in as a striking or attacking coach. So we still don't have an assistant manager.

Either, Glass is really coming in as a head coach, and we'll appoint a DoF, or he's still to appoint an assistant manager. Given Sheerin's comments that he's not sure on his role going forward, I wonder if Glass will make him his assistant?

It does sound like one of Simpson, Sheerin or Robson will stay on with the first team?

Guest Bob Mahelp
26 minutes ago, Don exotic said:

It is still possible for them to "Hibs it" and implode? 🤔 If Hornby can stay on the rails could we scrape third place still? That would be a good return on a bad season.

With Hibs, it's always possible. 

But being 4 points ahead of us (effectively 5), with only 4 games left makes it highly, highly unlikely that we'll catch them. They would need to collapse completely and we would somehow need to win a run of games. Not gonna happen. 

They'll take something from Ibrox today against a Rangers team that isn't all that interested, I also have no doubt about that. 

31 minutes ago, Don exotic said:

It is still possible for them to "Hibs it" and implode? 🤔 If Hornby can stay on the rails could we scrape third place still? That would be a good return on a bad season.

Disgusted Steve Carell GIF

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

With Hibs, it's always possible. 

But being 4 points ahead of us (effectively 5), with only 4 games left makes it highly, highly unlikely that we'll catch them. They would need to collapse completely and we would somehow need to win a run of games. Not gonna happen. 

They'll take something from Ibrox today against a Rangers team that isn't all that interested, I also have no doubt about that. 

Not sure about the Ibrox assessment, but the rest is about right.

IMV getting the toughest game out the way is helpful for us - make the assumption of zero points from that and If we pick up a couple of points here and there (or hopefully a win) in any of our remaining 5 matches its done and dusted.

2 hours ago, Don exotic said:

We would have to beat Livingston, Hibs and one of Celtic or Rangers to have any hope, and that may not even be enough. In fact we could win all five of our post split games and still end up fourth. However, ever the optimist I’m still hoping.