The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 hours ago, d31 said:

Brendan, eh that's why we sacked our manager? that we are releasing 13 players?

It's not pass marks. And we would need to win 4/8 matches this season to achieve that.

We are never gonna win 4 of the next 8 in a million years. I'd offer you a £100 charity Aberdeen For All bet.

For the last 4 wins weve taken 16 matches.

I misinterpreted your previous message. I thought you were suggesting that 4th and a semi final was pass marks. Right now I'm not sure if we will even score in the league again this season. But I am hopeful for next season. Very interested to see the performance of team after Glass and Russell have been in place for a few weeks. I think the squad really needs a fresh start as Sheerin has even publicly stated it will basically be more of the same after McInnes left which is the last thing we needed.  

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm ok with him on the right side of a three as he will offer a bit more on the ball than a Taylor or Considine, but I'd not be comfortable in a centre half pairing. I don't think he's a great defender.

I think we're just asking too much of him in midfield currently. He was best when our attacking unit consisted mainly of Watkins/Hedges/Wright, with wing backs in support and McCrorie acted almost as a support function to that but mainly he'd break play up in the middle and facilitate things for the guys ahead of him.

The difference is movement in forward areas. Watkins wasn't a great goalscorer but his movement was absolute top drawer. (coached by Allan Russell may I add) Its actually quite amazing how much space a bit of movement can create for other players such as oncoming midfielders. Ridiculous how much our season has collapsed since Watkins injury. Every single 1 of our key players Ferguson, McCrorie, Hedges and Wright all benefited from Watkins being in the side. Even a striker that could hold up play would help. We have had absolutely nothing in forward positions this calendar year. 

Edited by BrendanGalloway

2 minutes ago, BrendanGalloway said:

The difference is movement in forward areas. Watkins wasn't a great goalscorer but his movement was absolute top drawer. (coached by Allan Russell may I add) Its actually quite amazing how much space a bit of movement can create for other players such as oncoming midfielders. Ridiculous how much our season has collapsed since Watkins injury. Every single 1 of our key players Ferguson, McCrorie, Hedges and Wright all benefited from Watkins being in the side. Even a striker that could hold up play would help. We have had absolutely nothing in forward positions this calendar year. 

You are preaching to the converted, friend.

I absolutely loved watching our Marley.

19 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I realise that this will almost certainly not happen, but not much would give me more satisfaction than Hibs getting third place, but we win the Scottish Cup to take the European Group stages away from them. 

We'll need to drop our continental style snobbery against modern day domestic cup competitions and actually try for the first time in 30+ years.

Will be a nice way for the manager to introduce himself.

1 hour ago, BrendanGalloway said:

his movement was absolute top drawer. (coached by Allan Russell may I add) 

I know part of our downfall was perceived at taking too many of the same players back - but if Allan Russell has Marley's phone number (alongside Christina Aguilera's  and probably hunners a'burdz) then we need to try and snaffle him up before McInnes ends up at Tynecastle and endeavours to do the same.

Edited by tarapoa

20 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I realise that this will almost certainly not happen, but not much would give me more satisfaction than Hibs getting third place, but we win the Scottish Cup to take the European Group stages away from them. 

It's only a play off for the groups the scottish 3rd/cup winners get no?

17 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

I know part of our downfall was perceived at taking too many of the same players back - but if Allan Russell has Marley's phone number (alongside Christina Aguilera's  and probably hunners a'burdz) then we need to try and snaffle him up before McInnes ends up at Tynecastle and endeavours to do the same.

I'm sure @HibsFan would appreciate the poetic justice of that particular scenario...

30 minutes ago, red23 said:

It's only a play off for the groups the scottish 3rd/cup winners get no?

The cup winners are guaranteed Group stages of the new Conference League as a minimum. However if the cup winner has also qualified for the Champions League qualifiers, the guarantee then goes to third place in the league.

42 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

I'm sure @HibsFan would appreciate the poetic justice of that particular scenario...

There's no poetic justice, I've been telling anyone who'd listen for about five years that Derek McInnes will absolutely 1000% end up at Tynecastle within three years of him leaving Aberdeen.

The two parties were born for each other.

McCrorie is just a modern Murray Davidson and should be used as such.

Win the ball and pass it to your playmaker partner, or get the ball and bulldoze through midfield.

He'll never be anything more.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

bitch please GIF

Its easy to forget how good Davidson was when he broke through. McCrorie isn't good enough on the ball to do anything more than simple passes, and has too much physically to restrict to sitting at the back. 

Let him be a destroyer and expect nothing more, and you'll be pleasantly surprised. This obsession with turning every CM into some passing machine isn't necessary IMO.

10 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Do you lot know when Stephen Glass is gonna be in the dugout instead of Paul Sheerin?

Apparently Glass/Russell's first day will be Tue 13th Apr..............meaning the cup tie the following Sunday is their first match in charge.

the club called me today as I'm a season ticket holder. Expected a hard sell but (as per Daves q&a) said they weren't in a position to sell season tickets without having a better idea of when fans will get back in to the stadiums.

Said they are looking to offer an incentive to renew. Had a wee dig at the old firm (Rangers offering a take it or leave it £20 club shop voucher and Celtic offering nothing) but did add that it's a bit more understandable as both clubs have waiting lists for season tickets.

All in all it was a call making sure I was keeping safe and healthy and to expect another call at the end of the month.