The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Quite disappointed with how it’s turned out for Shay. He’s past his best now but he was a top quality right-back for us for a good 5/6 seasons and on the face of it, him being ushered out to avoid any issues with Scott Brown seems like a real kick in the teeth.

I’m not saying we should extend his deal but as someone who’s served the club well, I think he deserves better than having this cloud hanging over him as he leaves.

What cloud? He is leaving because he has been pretty shit over the past season and a half, and we cannot be giving squad places to players that are never going to play. One of my favourite players since he signed, and played the day after in the League Cup Semi Final at Tynecastle. Anyone suggesting that he’s leaving because Scott Brown is coming is simply stirring it.

It's a much better move for Logan than it is for Hearts, I think. He is past it at this level, unfortunately, even as a back-up. I might understand it a bit more from their perspective if they had a really young squad coming up to the top flight next season and wanted some experience around the place, but they already have Gordon, Mackay-Steven, Halliday, Naismith, Boyce, Smith and the ghost of Berra, even if a couple of those leave in the meantime. Weird one. 

26 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

What cloud? He is leaving because he has been pretty shit over the past season and a half, and we cannot be giving squad places to players that are never going to play. One of my favourite players since he signed, and played the day after in the League Cup Semi Final at Tynecastle. Anyone suggesting that he’s leaving because Scott Brown is coming is simply stirring it.

I think 18 months is generous Joey. I wouldn't have given him his last deal. Played him to death as we never managed to get decent cover in for him unfortunately.

As for the Brown and Logan thing, I'd imagine they'd have been able to put any animosity aside very quickly as teammates.

Timing of this does not look good. Though in fairness to him this is absolutely so he can get a transfer at the end of the season. Been a great player for us for several seasons and probably the time is right for him to seek new opportunities. Is my memory deceiving me, or was his debut at Tynecastle in the LC semi?

35 minutes ago, Menzel said:

Timing of this does not look good. Though in fairness to him this is absolutely so he can get a transfer at the end of the season. Been a great player for us for several seasons and probably the time is right for him to seek new opportunities. Is my memory deceiving me, or was his debut at Tynecastle in the LC semi?

I’ve seen this a few times now, “the timing does not look good”. Why? Excellent as he has been for us, and he has been, he is/was finished with us so the timing seems spot on. The opportunity for him to get a game at Hearts when he was going to get no game time for us is great for him. Look forward to giving him a good welcome back next season, if we get in to watch.

Someone obviously decided we wouldnt play him in the games to avoid triggering his contract extension. 

I say someone because I was assuming that was McInnes but Sheerin leaving him out of the travelling squad because 'he wasnt going to play anyway' suggests it wasnt actually mcinnes. A bit of a strange one.

Top player for us for plenty seasons and a disappointing way to go out.

3 minutes ago, Menzel said:

You know why, seeing as you mentioned it a few posts ago. 

You mean when I said it was nothing to do with Scott Brown coming. Shay was never getting a new contract, and Scott Brown doesn’t arrive until after the end of the season. Nothing to see here, move on.

8 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You mean when I said it was nothing to do with Scott Brown coming. Shay was never getting a new contract, and Scott Brown doesn’t arrive until after the end of the season. Nothing to see here, move on.

You know things can look bad and have a perfectly reasonable explanation, aye?

For the life off me I can't understand why the Celtic captain defending a racist became an issue for the media when he signed a pre-contract agreement with Aberdeen.

You'd think it may have come up last summer when players began taking the knee.

I say this as someone who condemned jus comments at the time and again recently.

I’ve said that I don’t think he should get a new deal and Scott Brown has nothing to do with that. However, it’s not good to see a player who has been really good for us and a fans’ favourite seemingly be ushered out the door before the end of the season after not even making matchday squads and the media spouting shite about it.

Guest Bob Mahelp

I wish Shay all the best. Not just a good, consistent footballer, but a great mentality as well. We need more players with his 'we'll take no fucking shit from anybody' attitude around the dressing room. 

Sadly in the last couple of seasons, lapses in concentration started to cost us goals, and he seemed to lose the sharpness to his play. 

It's a pity that we couldn't get to give him a proper send-off, but let's remind ourselves of ths piece of genius from him...(commentary by Romeo)

11 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

For the life off me I can't understand why the Celtic captain defending a racist became an issue for the media when he signed a pre-contract agreement with Aberdeen.

You'd think it may have come up last summer when players began taking the knee.

I say this as someone who condemned jus comments at the time and again recently.

Unless Im missing something here, did Brown not say he (Tonev) wasn’t a racist rather than defend what he was meant to have said? Im not wanting to get in to a shit flinging match here its just there is a big difference between defending the actions of someone rather than denying it.

6 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Unless Im missing something here, did Brown not say he (Tonev) wasn’t a racist rather than defend what he was meant to have said? Im not wanting to get in to a shit flinging match here its just there is a big difference between defending the actions of someone rather than denying it.

Brown said "We know he didn't say it" and Tonev's defence was that Logan made up the racist comments.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/scotland/29917507

Edited by Rodhull

3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Nah I think he did say that they all believed him/knew that he didn’t say it. 

In any case, I genuinely hadn’t realised this was a long standing issue with brown dons fans had until last week. I’m not really getting it. 

It wasn’t too clever at the time but proper storm in a teacup stuff for me. 

Brown was sticking up for his team mate at the time, big deal. That’s what every fan wants and teams need, mates that stick together especially the captain.

Funny how so many go to the fitba and give it the big man shouts etc. then come on social media greeting like wee lassies about things. 

It’s old news, and not worth remembering, move on surely?

ps Shay Logan been a great player. Wish him all the best.

Edited by big al

18 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Nah I think he did say that they all believed him/knew that he didn’t say it. 

In any case, I genuinely hadn’t realised this was a long standing issue with brown dons fans had until last week. I’m not really getting it. 

It wasn’t too clever at the time but proper storm in a teacup stuff for me. 

Really? It was clear that the media had no appetite for pointing out Brown's hypocrisy while he was still a Celtic player but are more than happy to frame it now as Aberdeen fans having a problem rather than focusing on Brown's (and Celtic's) shitty response.

I've no doubt Logan would have been on his way out of the club anyway but his being shuffled out now makes it look even more grubby on Aberdeen's part.

Edited by Rodhull

4 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Really? It was clear that the media had no appetite for pointing out Brown's hypocrisy while he was still a Celtic player but are more than happy to frame it now as Aberdeen fans having a problem rather than focusing on Brown's (and Celtic's) shitty response.

I've no doubt Logan would have been on his way out of the club anyway but his being shuffled out now makes it look even more grubby on Aberdeen's part.

I more meant that in the past 7 years, I've read or heard many, many complaints about Scott Brown but very little about this specific incident until last week when it's been dragged up again.Obviously Logan/Tonev has come up an unnecessary amount of times on match threads on here but never specifically the Brown element of it, to the best of my memory.

I'm also not really interested in how the media frame it, we all know how that will go. My judgement on the issue is purely my own.