The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest Bob Mahelp

We're absolutely bereft of any kind of confidence in the last 20 in front of goals. We can't cross, we can't create chances of any kind. 

I'll honestly be stunned if we score at all in any of the 6 games we have left this season (Dumbarton will dump us out of the cup).

Who's to blame ? Well, obviously bad luck has played a part...Hedges and Watkins being injured killed our season. Poor recruitment in January hasn't helped us. 

However, the players themselves have been utterly pathetic in their attempts to rescue our season. Can I give a special shout out to Connor Mclennan ? Played a good game once 3 years ago and has done nothing....absolutely NOTHING...ever since. 

He's one of the players we're relying on to take the ball, and create, make and take chances. It turns out that the guy is a fucking coward....a wage thief who can't control the ball, can't beat players, can't pass, can't score, can't create chances, can't do anything that he's paid a large amount of money to do. 

Get him right to f**k, and get players in that have the courage to play the game. 

Sick of these khunts. 

I definitely wouldn't describe McLennan as a "coward". He is a player who has a natural inclination for running with the ball and driving at the opposition - he does usually try to take responsibility to get us up the pitch and generally wants to make things happen. Unfortunately, since he signed his contract extension, his actual quality and output has been very poor. He is technically quite limited at the moment, but that is something that a good coaching team should be able to identify and work on with him. He is still only twenty-one, after all.

However, he definitely does need to become a more well-rounded player and add some consistency to his game. Hopefully he can do that under the next management team. I think the raw attributes are definitely there, but next season feels like it will be crucial in seeing whether he is able to bring it all together and be an important part of the next manager's plans. 

25 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

We're absolutely bereft of any kind of confidence in the last 20 in front of goals. We can't cross, we can't create chances of any kind. 

I'll honestly be stunned if we score at all in any of the 6 games we have left this season (Dumbarton will dump us out of the cup).

Who's to blame ? Well, obviously bad luck has played a part...Hedges and Watkins being injured killed our season. Poor recruitment in January hasn't helped us. 

However, the players themselves have been utterly pathetic in their attempts to rescue our season. Can I give a special shout out to Connor Mclennan ? Played a good game once 3 years ago and has done nothing....absolutely NOTHING...ever since. 

He's one of the players we're relying on to take the ball, and create, make and take chances. It turns out that the guy is a fucking coward....a wage thief who can't control the ball, can't beat players, can't pass, can't score, can't create chances, can't do anything that he's paid a large amount of money to do. 

Get him right to f**k, and get players in that have the courage to play the game. 

Sick of these khunts. 

Sorry, this is absolute nonsense. McLennan was one of the few attacking players to actually do anything useful today. On numerous occasions today he did indeed, control the ball, beat a defender, pass accurately, and create chances. Again, nonsense.

Personally, that was up there with some of the worst performances I've seen from Aberdeen in the last 8 years. Felt like the days of Ebbe, Paterson and McGhee.

In truth, both sides were poor and made it look like a Sunday league match. May appear harsh but Sheerin's tactics and very late subs have me doubting his ability as a coach.

Theres no one in the team that I'd be upset about leaving in the summer. The coaching staff needs an overhaul too.

Thankfully 13 players are leaving allowing the new manager to rebuild. 

Hedges, Fergie, Campbell, McCrorie and Lewis are still with us going forward - arguably our best players.

It is imperative the board make the right appointment. Cormack is under a lot of pressure. He made a bold decision to sack McInnes. He needs to really back the new manager this summer. 

I hope we steer well clear of the MLS in our search for a new manager and players.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I definitely wouldn't describe McLennan as a "coward". He is a player who has a natural inclination for running with the ball and driving at the opposition - he does usually try to take responsibility to get us up the pitch and generally wants to make things happen. Unfortunately, since he signed his contract extension, his actual quality and output has been very poor. He is technically quite limited at the moment, but that is something that a good coaching team should be able to identify and work on with him. He is still only twenty-one, after all.

However, he definitely does need to become a more well-rounded player and add some consistency to his game. Hopefully he can do that under the next management team. I think the raw attributes are definitely there, but next season feels like it will be crucial in seeing whether he is able to bring it all together and be an important part of the next manager's plans. 

Just now, Illgresi said:

Sorry, this is absolute nonsense. McLennan was one of the few attacking players to actually do anything useful today. On numerous occasions today he did indeed, control the ball, beat a defender, pass accurately, and create chances. Again, nonsense.

Sorry, I'll respectfully disagree with all of this. 

If by some miracle he actually manages to control a ball, his ability to set up chances or score goals is virtually zero. 

Can anyone actually say that McLennan is the type of player a new manager can be relying on to take us to another level ? 

He's Dundee quality, at best. 

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Sorry, I'll respectfully disagree with all of this. 

If by some miracle he actually manages to control a ball, his ability to set up chances or score goals is virtually zero. 

Can anyone actually say that McLennan is the type of player a new manager can be relying on to take us to another level ? 

He's Dundee quality, at best. 

I must apologise. Now that I read it back, my post came across as more antagonistic than I meant it to be!

McLennan (like virtually every other player in the squad), hasn't been great for a good number of months now. He is however, one that always tries. I'm not going to sit through the RedTV highlights and create a showreel for you, but he did more today than any other attacking player. Now, by all means criticise him, but if so be fair, and criticise every other player first.

To answer your question, I think McLennan has a lot to offer, and with the right management and some confidence could indeed be an important part of the squad. Will he ever play for Scotland? Probably not. Will he go on to be a first team regular in a top 6 side in Scotland? I would say very likely. Whether that's with us or not depends on our own ambition.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

I must apologise. Now that I read it back, my post came across as more antagonistic than I meant it to be!

McLennan (like virtually every other player in the squad), hasn't been great for a good number of months now. He is however, one that always tries. I'm not going to sit through the RedTV highlights and create a showreel for you, but he did more today than any other attacking player. Now, by all means criticise him, but if so be fair, and criticise every other player first.

To answer your question, I think McLennan has a lot to offer, and with the right management and some confidence could indeed be an important part of the squad. Will he ever play for Scotland? Probably not. Will he go on to be a first team regular in a top 6 side in Scotland? I would say very likely. Whether that's with us or not depends on our own ambition.

No worries my friend, no offence taken. 

You're correct to say that every player in the team deserves criticism....it's unfair to single out McLennan alone. 

We're effectively in classic relegation form. Players are terrified to do something different that makes the difference between winning and losing. squad con fidence must be absolute rock bottom at this moment. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

No worries my friend, no offence taken. 

You're correct to say that every player in the team deserves criticism....it's unfair to single out McLennan alone. 

We're effectively in classic relegation form. Players are terrified to do something different that makes the difference between winning and losing. squad con fidence must be absolute rock bottom at this moment. 

Agreed, hence why I posted earlier saying I'd like to see some more of the young lads come in. Realistically we're not going to finish 3rd, nor are we going to finish 6th. The Scottish cup may well not be completed, and even if it is, it's highly likely one of the cheeks will win it. Sheerin isn't going to get the manager/head coach role either. So we literally have nothing to lose, except a £100k or so for possibly finishing 5th.

Take the pressure off, and let's be a bit creative until the end of the season.

1 minute ago, Illgresi said:

Agreed, hence why I posted earlier saying I'd like to see some more of the young lads come in. Realistically we're not going to finish 3rd, nor are we going to finish 6th. The Scottish cup may well not be completed, and even if it is, it's highly likely one of the cheeks will win it. Sheerin isn't going to get the manager/head coach role either. So we literally have nothing to lose, except a £100k or so for possibly finishing 5th.

Take the pressure off, and let's be a bit creative until the end of the season.

It was a real shame it was young MacKenzie who made the mistake for United's goal as it spoiled what was a reasonable debut from him.

I don't see what harm it would be in giving Ethan Ross a try as Hayes, Kennedy and McLennan have been stinking for months.

1 minute ago, highland_mechanic said:

It was a real shame it was young MacKenzie who made the mistake for United's goal as it spoiled what was a reasonable debut from him.

I don't see what harm it would be in giving Ethan Ross a try as Hayes, Kennedy and McLennan have been stinking for months.

As I've mentioned, our defence was set, we should have been able to repel that effort but a string of individual errors led to their goal. They took control of the ball on the touchline level with the 18 yrd box, and from there worked it through our midfield and defence with relative ease. Had Mackenzie cleared the ball instead, they would likely have had a throw in right around the same area anyway. Mistake from Mackenzie or not, it was poor defending from then on that caused the goal.

Credit to United though, it was their only real chance and they took it, and did so with aplomb.

I'm close to an aneurysm trying to understand how I should feel based on the comments of opposing fans.

Can you all get together and decide whether Derek was either 

a) a wage thief shitebag who bottles it against the old firm and plays eye bleeding football

Or

b) the best manager since Fergie

Of course if it's decided he's both then we're back to square one

I think the criticism of McLennan is unfair. The only player to complete two key passes and two successful crosses for us yesterday. He's been mismanaged as he hasn't been given scope to play in his preferred position enough. He's played RWB too often and although the majority will see him as a winger, I still feel he'd be a better striker that what we have.

Speaking generally, too many players are going through the motions. Definitely a bottom six/nothing to play for feel about yesterday. The Scottish Cup resuming hasn't helped us as supporters. It would be quite nice thinking that there were only 5 games left. 

4 hours ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

I think the criticism of McLennan is unfair. The only player to complete two key passes and two successful crosses for us yesterday. He's been mismanaged as he hasn't been given scope to play in his preferred position enough. He's played RWB too often and although the majority will see him as a winger, I still feel he'd be a better striker that what we have.

Speaking generally, too many players are going through the motions. Definitely a bottom six/nothing to play for feel about yesterday. The Scottish Cup resuming hasn't helped us as supporters. It would be quite nice thinking that there were only 5 games left. 

I like him but he was rotten yesterday. 

At one point he tried a step over and looked like he'd broken his ankle when he kicked the ground. Just wasn't his day.

There's a player there. He's dominated games against Rangers. Needs more consistency.

I wouldnt say yesterdays game was the worst performance since Ebbe/Paterson, purely on the basis that, first half at least, it was better than most of the nine games previous!

First half we were trying to play out from the back, playing it forward on the deck. Campbell was really good, much more positive than he usually is, showing where he could develop as a player. McLennan was clumsy but at least he was trying to take players on. MacKenzie looked assured, and played like an actual fullback which is nice. 

Second half was right back to the bad old days of 2 weeks ago. Utd hemmed us in and MacKenzie showed the downsides of playing a teenage debutant in defence. These things happen with young players, you have to accept that. It was quite nice play from Utd too. They were much better than they were the last two times. 

Its one game lads, lets not get carried away. It is going to be a looong process of handover from McInnes given the extent of his control on the club. Keep the heids lads. 

I don’t think we can dress up yesterday as anything other than another dreadful day at the office but it’s hardly going to define the post mcinnes era. 

I certainly wasn’t expecting us to turn up and suddenly start banging them in because Derek was gone. 

12 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Maybe our support have different ideas of success from you lot because
1. We don’t flit about in the lower leagues
2. We’re not spoonburners drugged oot we’re tiny minds

1 - only due to 2x technicalities

2 - you'd be hard pushed to tell 

6 minutes ago, TonyFerrino said:

1 - only due to 2x technicalities

2 - you'd be hard pushed to tell 

"technicalties",* eh? Dontcha love 'em...

*Otherwise known as "rules".