The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

As I said, it's good for starters. One interview doesn't change 26 years of misery but if the remit of the interview was to give the fans assurances that due diligence would be followed in appointing the new manager whilst giving the fans hope for the future then it was achieved.

One action has already been taken but that was the easy part. It's the appointment that will prove more difficult. If Glass is appointed then there will be a suspicion that due diligence wasn't done and that will cause issues if we suffer poor results on the park.

However, it seems to me that the majority of fans can't see us any better than where McInnes had us. It's very depressing...

It's impossible to really get a handle on what proportion of the fans think what, especially given there's no crowds at the games and we're only left with the online back and fore between a relatively small proportion of the fanbase.

I do think some fans are still stuck in Milne-era thinking though - which is why names like Goodwin or Robinson come up constantly. Solid enough for a season or two at their clubs, but completely unproven at the levels we want to be getting to, especially as the league over the last year or two has been of an atrocious standard.

Get the feeling that Glass might be a red herring and that serious consideration will be given to some of the "outliers" as Cormack described them.

2 hours ago, BrendanGalloway said:

The next manager would have to a really bad job to drop lower than 4th. We have scored 1 goal in 10 games and still comfortable in 4th and outside shot at third.

How anyone can say be careful what you wish for when the team with the third biggest budget in league is going to finish 4th for third consecutive season. Mcinnes has failed in the previous 3 seasons that is fact. That’s not to outdo what he did in previous 5 seasons where he done a very good job. But managers are judged on recent performances look and Wildwr and Ranieri for example. 

Hearts and Hibs have similar budgets and are often nowhere near the Top 4.

Previous Aberdeen managers had higher budgets than most and other than Calderwood, they were normally in the bottom half.

It can quite easily go that way with the wrong appointment.

Edited by tarapoa

9 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

The club, with these appointments, we're operating under a timid character in Stewart Milne, who oversaw the most consecutive appointments of incompetent managers in our history. As well as the least successful spell in our history. 

There's a different guy in charge, who's looking to shake things up. I dunno have faith. 

"It can quite easily go that way with the wrong appointment" 

It could also quite easily go the other way. 

A good appointment would make it better, a bad one could make it worse.

Its hardly rocket science.

"Go the other way" to what?

Are you genuinely expecting Aberdeen the challenge for the title?

I think there's always a little revision of history with Mcinnes when it comes to 'prioritising' success in competitions over others. As far as I remember, Mcinnes always stated at the start of every season that he wanted to win silverware and qualify for the groups of European competitions. His failure in the cups was a combination of tactical failures on the day, luck and just coming up against better sides. It's not like in England where they rest players in the cup to chase 17th in the Premier League or anything like that.

My point being that Cormack's ambition is nice, but it's not particularly new for the club and actions speak louder than words. I'm sure many people will have watched us turn up against Celtic in the cups and questioned if we really did have an ambition to win, despite what was said beforehand.

Cormack's words mean nothing if he appoints a dud or doesn't give any new man the best possible chances to succeed either through funding or whatever else. And let's not forget a few weeks ago he mentioned administration in a statement. Yes, it said we're working to avoid administration but the very mention of it was quite striking.

15 hours ago, BrendanGalloway said:

The next manager would have to a really bad job to drop lower than 4th. We have scored 1 goal in 10 games and still comfortable in 4th and outside shot at third.

How anyone can say be careful what you wish for when the team with the third biggest budget in league is going to finish 4th for third consecutive season. Mcinnes has failed in the previous 3 seasons that is fact. That’s not to outdo what he did in previous 5 seasons where he done a very good job. But managers are judged on recent performances look and Wildwr and Ranieri for example. 

Hibs and Hearts both managed to get themselves relegated in recent seasons, no reason that the wrong appointment couldn't do the same to us.

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Hibs and Hearts both managed to get themselves relegated in recent seasons, no reason that the wrong appointment couldn't do the same to us.

Absolutely. Football is football.

A seemingly unstoppable Liverpool team a year ago are now toiling to finish above West Ham and Everton. It only takes a few adverse circumstances/decisions etc for things to drop off badly.

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Absolutely. Football is football.

A seemingly unstoppable Liverpool team a year ago are now toiling to finish above West Ham and Everton. It only takes a few adverse circumstances/decisions etc for things to drop off badly.

Look at Dundee, they never seem to get their act together, historically one of Scotland's big clubs, they've completely lost their way since 1976. 

Which should we prioritise, a cup win or Europe? There has been a massive clamour this season from our fans saying that this is the season to finish third as this will guarantee entry to the Group stages of the European Conference League. I’ve always thought that this wasn’t the case and I’ve just read what awaits Scottish clubs next season. Unless Celtic or Rangers win the Scottish Cup, third and fourth place in the league would mean three qualifying rounds to get into the Group Stages of the Conference League. The Holy Grail is to win the Scottish Cup which gives you one qualifying round only to get into the Europa League, but if you fail to get through that, you automatically go into the Group Stage of the Conference League. So not only do you win a cup but you get European games until December at least. Despite what most of our fans are saying, this isn’t the year to finish third, this is the year to win the Scottish Cup.

1 hour ago, CCB19035 said:

The club, with these appointments, we're operating under a timid character in Stewart Milne, who oversaw the most consecutive appointments of incompetent managers in our history. As well as the least successful spell in our history. 

There's a different guy in charge, who's looking to shake things up. I dunno have faith.

I admire your optimism, but always feel that every cynic is a disappointed idealist. If you take the Chelsea buns as an example, ever since they were promoted in 2016/17 they were 'going for 55*'. They had to go through Warburton, Murty, Pedro, Murty, Gerrard before they achieved any success. I think that it's good that Cormack is saying what fans aspire to but it may take a fair amount of trial and error before this is achieved. 

3 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

I admire your optimism, but always feel that every cynic is a disappointed idealist. If you take the Chelsea buns as an example, ever since they were promoted in 2016/17 they were 'going for 55*'. They had to go through Warburton, Murty, Pedro, Murty, Gerrard before they achieved any success. I think that it's good that Cormack is saying what fans aspire to but it may take a fair amount of trial and error before this is achieved. 

Maybe they meant managers...

5 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Which should we prioritise, a cup win or Europe? There has been a massive clamour this season from our fans saying that this is the season to finish third as this will guarantee entry to the Group stages of the European Conference League. I’ve always thought that this wasn’t the case and I’ve just read what awaits Scottish clubs next season. Unless Celtic or Rangers win the Scottish Cup, third and fourth place in the league would mean three qualifying rounds to get into the Group Stages of the Conference League. The Holy Grail is to win the Scottish Cup which gives you one qualifying round only to get into the Europa League, but if you fail to get through that, you automatically go into the Group Stage of the Conference League. So not only do you win a cup but you get European games until December at least. Despite what most of our fans are saying, this isn’t the year to finish third, this is the year to win the Scottish Cup.

I think the point is that if we don't win the Scottish Cup then the most likely outcome is that it will be either Celtic or Rangers that do. At that point 3rd inherits the 'guaranteed group stages' path.

Whilst the obvious ideal outcome is to win the Scottish Cup, it very much is important to finish 3rd instead of 4th as there's a (probably > 50%) chance that it will come with group stage football attached.

I think it would be a pretty foolish approach to take that the difference between 3rd and 4th doesn't matter just because as things stand right now there is no difference between them when we know that the historically most likely outcome of the Scottish Cup will change that picture completely.

25 minutes ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

I think the point is that if we don't win the Scottish Cup then the most likely outcome is that it will be either Celtic or Rangers that do. At that point 3rd inherits the 'guaranteed group stages' path.

Whilst the obvious ideal outcome is to win the Scottish Cup, it very much is important to finish 3rd instead of 4th as there's a (probably > 50%) chance that it will come with group stage football attached.

I think it would be a pretty foolish approach to take that the difference between 3rd and 4th doesn't matter just because as things stand right now there is no difference between them when we know that the historically most likely outcome of the Scottish Cup will change that picture completely.

Call me a Dundee United, but I don’t think that it is probable that Celtic or Rangers will win the Scottish Cup. It is more likely that Livingston or St. Johnstone will take the Group Stage place.

3 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Never said that.

"Go the other way" to me, would be something like 2 cups a decade and qualifying for European football properly on a consistent basis. 

Not saying it'll just happen, but that should definitely be the aim. 

So rampant successful would be 1 more Cup a decade and benefiting from Rangers success thanks to an improved coefficient dropping 3rd straight into the groups?

Truly reaching for the stars.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

So rampant successful would be 1 more Cup a decade and benefiting from Rangers success thanks to an improved coefficient dropping 3rd straight into the groups?

Truly reaching for the stars.

Make up your mind; is he being over or under ambitious? Kindly pick one and stick with it.

22 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

They wanted a title with a 3rd place squad. Never happening. 

We want a few more cups than 1 in 26, with what is now a consistent "top 4" side. 

Apples and Oranges. Sides worse than ours have managed to secure multiple trophies in the time we've secured one. 

It's not overly ambitious to ask for this, and have this be the bar set. 

Im as cynical as the next Aberdonian dons fan, but I think this is a time to be excited, it might not all happen at once, but for the first time since I can remember, the club is appearing to mirror the expectations from the fans, that can only be a good thing going forward driving standards. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to fully share in your excitement, but there's part of me that will always hold me back, which is probably more to do with my personality. 

I think you could have a point though around expecting more. I think I've become conditioned to accept that we will beat the majority of Premiership sides under McInnes, get the odd result against Rangers*, but ultimately get beaten against Celtic when it counts. 

If we can get to the point where we're no longer passive in games against Celtic, harry them and get in their faces, then I would view that as a good first statement of intent. 

22 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to fully share in your excitement, but there's part of me that will always hold me back, which is probably more to do with my personality. 

I think you could have a point though around expecting more. I think I've become conditioned to accept that we will beat the majority of Premiership sides under McInnes, get the odd result against Rangers*, but ultimately get beaten against Celtic when it counts. 

If we can get to the point where we're no longer passive in games against Celtic, harry them and get in their faces, then I would view that as a good first statement of intent. 

We've entered an alternate universe where the 'doom and gloom' merchants are overly excited because we don't have Derek McInnes in charge. the 'happy clappers' have decided life is going to be terrible because we don't have Derek McInnes in charge.

The rest of us are sitting back, letting it play out and will see where it goes.

10 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

We've entered an alternate universe where the 'doom and gloom' merchants are overly excited because we don't have Derek McInnes in charge. the 'happy clappers' have decided life is going to be terrible because we don't have Derek McInnes in charge.

The rest of us are sitting back, letting it play out and will see where it goes.

You'll be the first posting 'get Sheerin to f**k' on Saturday night.