The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

It’s a long way from good enough, even although finally got a win today.

Its obvious McCrorie isn’t suited to midfield, unless the others around him are all fast, mobile, technical and creative players, which they aren’t.

Also Hoban is uncomfortable at the right of the 3. Drop Taylor who is inconsistent, draw Hoban inside and McCrorie where Hoban has been. Funnily enough he plays right of defence for Scotland U21s as well where he is the captain.

Ferguson and Campbell can compliment each other in the middle with maybe Kennedy or McGinn getting the attacking midfield slot. 
Gives the team a better balance and more football and hopefully movement and possession. As much as I like McCrorie, he is clogging up the midfield when in possession. 

It isn’t perfect, but it’s using what he has as best as possible.

2 hours ago, big al said:

Its obvious McCrorie isn’t suited to midfield, unless the others around him are all fast, mobile, technical and creative players, which they aren’t.

Also Hoban is uncomfortable at the right of the 3. Drop Taylor who is inconsistent, draw Hoban inside and McCrorie where Hoban has been. Funnily enough he plays right of defence for Scotland U21s as well where he is the captain.

Ferguson and Campbell can compliment each other in the middle with maybe Kennedy or McGinn getting the attacking midfield slot. 
Gives the team a better balance and more football and hopefully movement and possession. As much as I like McCrorie, he is clogging up the midfield when in possession. 

I think Hoban is struggling after playing so many games. It must be years since he's played as much as this. It's not just your body that tires from fatigue and he's made some strange decisions lately.

Regarding your last sentence, McInnes used to excel there but the past few years has been fraught with shoe horning boys in to roles.

3 hours ago, big al said:

I don't think the number of injuries have helped us at all to gain as much consistency as in previous years under McInnes.

It does feel like the 90 minutes are a drag and tough to endure just now.

6 hours ago, highland_mechanic said:

I don't think the number of injuries have helped us at all to gain as much consistency as in previous years under McInnes.

It does feel like the 90 minutes are a drag and tough to endure just now.

We'd be third if we hadn't suffered so many injuries. We were absolutely cruising it at the start of the season until Watkins became the first of many to spend the rest of the season on the side line.

7 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I think Hoban is struggling after playing so many games. It must be years since he's played as much as this. It's not just your body that tires from fatigue and he's made some strange decisions lately.

Regarding your last sentence, McInnes used to excel there but the past few years has been fraught with shoe horning boys in to roles.

Yeah that had crossed my mind as well. Maybe a rest here and there, especially when midweek games as well would do him good. His use of the ball when in the right back area has been patchy recently. It doesn’t help when the movement in midfield isn’t the greatest. 

Probably unpopular opinion but I think the top 5 positions aren't going to change. The gaps between all teams involved are too significant to overhaul given the amount of points available. 

As a result, if I were in charge, I'd rather see Ross, Virtanen, Ngwenya, Ruth, MacKenzie etc.  get extended playing time. How do we know they'll be good enough when there's going to be a big reliance on youth next season? 

Delighted to see Campbell nailing down his place in the team, he's been brilliant in the past few games he's started. McLennan too has also got to be starting. I understand the argument that he lacks a footballing brain but he carried the ball 20+ yards numerous times yesterday. When was the last time anyone did that for us? 

I'd rather these boys got a game as opposed to McGinn who was painful to watch yesterday. 2nd oldest starting XI in the league, some of which we can't rely on to start every game due to fitness and their history of injuries. 

For those on “Bruce Anderson watch”, his contribution to Hibs’ first goal yesterday is more the version I recall.

Making the ball stick is maybe not every striker’s forte, but with his team down to ten, very poor.

5 hours ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Probably unpopular opinion but I think the top 5 positions aren't going to change. The gaps between all teams involved are too significant to overhaul given the amount of points available. 

As a result, if I were in charge, I'd rather see Ross, Virtanen, Ngwenya, Ruth, MacKenzie etc.  get extended playing time. How do we know they'll be good enough when there's going to be a big reliance on youth next season? 

I'm guessing McInnes would want a bit more safety before he started lobbing heaps of kids into the team.  Livingston have nine games left and I'd expect them to get a decent number of points.   

6 hours ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Delighted to see Campbell nailing down his place in the team, he's been brilliant in the past few games he's started. McLennan too has also got to be starting. I understand the argument that he lacks a footballing brain but he carried the ball 20+ yards numerous times yesterday. When was the last time anyone did that for us? 

I'd rather these boys got a game as opposed to McGinn who was painful to watch yesterday. 2nd oldest starting XI in the league, some of which we can't rely on to start every game due to fitness and their history of injuries. 

I'm not convinced on our certainty to finish 4th quite yet but 6 points either side at the split would confirm that and leave the last five games to use some younger players and younger managers etc

6 hours ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

McGinn didn't look particularly comfortable in open play yesterday, but it was only his piece of quality between us winning that and another utterly turgid 0-0. There's a case to say that he has to be starting at the moment because he is the only fit player we have in the squad who can produce moments like that on even a semi-regular basis. 

27 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

McGinn didn't look particularly comfortable in open play yesterday, but it was only his piece of quality between us winning that and another utterly turgid 0-0. There's a case to say that he has to be starting at the moment because he is the only fit player we have in the squad who can produce moments like that on even a semi-regular basis. 

Yesterday felt like it was the first time McGinn has beaten the first man with a set piece all season.

1 hour ago, d31 said:

I'm not convinced on our certainty to finish 4th quite yet but 6 points either side at the split would confirm that and leave the last five games to use some younger players and younger managers etc

Hibs’ll drop enough points before the end of the season for us to catch them but the odds are against us being able to do that.  Far too early yet for us to give up on third though. No way that McInnes will experiment with young players any more than he has done previously until the final league placings have been decided.

I’m clinging to the hope that Hibs’ luck , and in particular , their benefit from refereeing decisions , has to change sometime.  

Obviously , though it’s too much of a stretch to think that we’re going to get anything more than the very occasional lucky break from the refs.

Edited by A96

3 hours ago, A96 said:

Hibs’ll drop enough points before the end of the season for us to catch them but the odds are against us being able to do that.  Far too early yet for us to give up on third though. No way that McInnes will experiment with young players any more than he has done previously until the final league placings have been decided.

I’m clinging to the hope that Hibs’ luck , and in particular , their benefit from refereeing decisions , has to change sometime.  

Obviously , though it’s too much of a stretch to think that we’re going to get anything more than the very occasional lucky break from the refs.

Every time I switch on livescore they seem to be playing against ten men - and they're getting penalties handed to them like confetti, including against us. They also appear to have had nowhere near the injury issues we have, albeit take the earlier point that some of our signings (e.g. Leigh, McGeouch, Devlin) were injuries waiting to happen - but some have just been unlucky.  (However the real debate on injuries from the Scottish media is how long "Tav" will be out for).

Main thing though is Hibs early January signings of Irvine and Cadden look quite astute...........and they were able to resist bids for key players, whereas we couldn't get them out the door quickly enough. Are they somehow more financial well-equipped to deal with a pandemic than us?

Unless they really Hibs things from here, they will get the lottery win of 3rd place - though we could put a multitude of sins right by choosing this season to win the Scottish Cup.

12 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

though we could put a multitude of sins right by choosing this season to win the Scottish Cup.

I don't think there is any chance of the Scottish Cup finishing (perhaps even restarting) before European competition begins. Many of the teams left in the competition haven't kicked a ball for the last month and won't be ready to play anytime soon even if the political will was there to allow them to do so...which it isn't....this strategy (madness) of zero covid will ensure the 2021 Scottish Cup Final will be in the second half of the year again...

Edited by Bogbrush1903

15 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I don't think there is any chance of the Scottish Cup finishing (perhaps even restarting) before European competition begins. Many of the teams left in the competition haven't kicked a ball for the last month and won't be ready to play anytime soon even if the political will was there to allow them to do so...which it isn't....this strategy (madness) of zero covid will ensure the 2021 Scottish Cup Final will be in the second half of the year again...

If we were looking like finishing 3rd, that would be fine.

As that is not the case - then hopefully it can be done still, and given the prize, probably should be.

This weekend's fixtures were in lieu of a Scottish Cup weekend. It may now be that there has to be the harsh decision to determine a date (maybe for a condensed tournament over a couple of weekends/midweeks) - and if clubs cannot fulfil the fixture, it's a forfeit.   

The SFA were content for Covid picked up on their watch to be the reason for key Aberdeen and Motherwell players missing important fixtures earlier in the season - therefore, they'll probably be fine with making this call.

Edited by tarapoa

Guest Bob Mahelp
18 hours ago, A96 said:

Unless Hibs hit a run of catastrophic injuries and/or awful form, there's no way we'll catch them in 3rd. On Saturday we beat the only team in the league that is in (marginally) worse form than us. 

22 hours ago, CCB19035 said:

This is a nonsense argument. There's people who also say "we'd have finished third if the season hadn't finished early" last season, there were people who said the season before "we'd have been third if Kilmarnock didn't have a freak season" and so on and so forth. 

Most the games in which we've dropped points this season, we've still had XI's on the pitch good enough to do better.

Its also no surprise we have trouble with injuries, our manager loves to sign injury prone players. I get his reasoning, that if you sign a quality player who's a n injury risk, and they stay injury free- you've got a quality player. However, large parts of our squad are made up of guys with terrible injury histories.

Greg Leigh failed a medical at Rotherham before we signed him. It's hardly unlucky or surprising he has subsequently spent most of his time on the sideline or on the physio table. 

The only two freakish and unexpected injuries we've had are probably Watkins and Hedges, important players for us no doubt, but there's no way we are just "unlucky." There's a track record of it across the last few seasons. 

Fully agree, even missing two or three players we should have more than enough to take care of teams down the bottom of the league.

We all laughed at Hearts for complaining that they were struggling due to missing first-team players every week while signing permacrocks like Naismith and Souttar so I feel we can't really complain about guys like McGeouch being out for half the season. 

Must admit, I was very wary about signing Hoban but am very pleased he's lasted until now without anything serious.