The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

5 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Obviously, we're speaking in hypotheticals. 

However, on paper, to me, a Scottish Cup and a EL qualification rank higher than any Aberdeen achievement since 2013. 

Maybe it's just my mentality, I'd swap finishing 3rd, 2nd and 4th for the Scottish Cup or another League Cup. These are the days you remember as fans. Naturally, I'm aware football doesn't work that way, but I find it hard to get excited when people rattle off the whole "up there challenging for Europe every season" stuff in regards to McInnes, because we've yet to qualify proper in 7 attempts. 

How much of a sickener would it be, if Hibs were able to qualify because of our own contribution to the coefficient?

Well, yes it would be a sickener. But hibs could go into an EL playoff, lose 7-0 at home to Malmö again and end up in the conference thingy group stage and you’re going to be giving them a standing ovation for achieving more than mcinnes ever did? Give over.

16 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Qualifying for group stage European football? One of our main objectives since the start. 

What does 4th get us? Qualifiers for the Conference thing? 

It does indeed.  I think it would mean needing to win three ties and you're into the Conference groups.  It's more doable than normal as you wouldn't be running into a Sporting, Sociedad or the 7th placed EPL team - but still fraught with with those 2-2 aggregate out on away goals scenario type ties against that crack Hungarian lot, with their six Brazilians. 

However, the thought of Hibs pinching something which our reasonable consistent Europa performances perhaps deserves in terms of guaranteed group stages is giving me the dry boak. Especially as we have managed to capitulate from a strong position this season.

McInnes needs to get the mid-last decade fire back into his own belly and that of the team, and sort this out whilst there's still a chance to redeem it. On form Smurn, two matches against Celtic and non-match fit strikers suggests the gap will likely widen if anything - but it's about time they did something to pleasantly surprise us all.

Queue a 0-2 vs St Mirren (silhouette handball pen and a Lewis howler, with us hitting the underside of the bar), a season ending injury for Ferguson.........and more meltdown.

Edited by tarapoa

17 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

Qualifying for group stage European football? One of our main objectives since the start. 

At this rate with the Scottish Cup looking doubtful this season I think 5th place will get conference playoffs as well.

35 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

All taken from Bert Kassies website...

1st goes into the CL Q3, 2nd goes into the CL Q2

Assuming the Scottish Cup isn't completed this season:

3rd goes into EL PO; as you can see from the diagram the winners of this go into the EL group stage, the losers go into the ECL group stage.

4th and 5th go into ECL Q2

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/files/2021-24-uefa-club-competitions-scheme.png

Ultimately, if we finished 4th or 5th we'd still have a chance of qualifying, but in the ECL playoff we'd likely be facing the kind of standard of team we've consistently been knocked out by in the EL Q3 in the past half decade.

Edited by Illgresi

1 hour ago, CCB19035 said:

That's the point though, we've been trying to make strides in Europe for years, and we're handed a golden opportunity here, and the decline that many of us have seen since 2017, means Hibs will sneak in and pinch it off of us. 

Let's say, hypothetically, Hibs do get third and qualify for the Europa League, could someone not argue, that on paper, they've done more than McInnes' Aberdeen have since 2016? 

If Ross wins the PO round tie that would be better than anything by McInnes

If Ross loses the PO tie then no would not rank better but if he got out of the ECL group then it would rank better.

A fantastic opportunity and presuming we qualify 8 years in a row its absolutely sickening weve fucked it up.

It's the sole reason, for me, that I want to sack McInnes

36 minutes ago, Baldie1980 said:

where is kamberi by the way

Landed in Aberdeen today according to Twitter.

Does he have to self-isolate for 10 days given he’s come from Switzerland, or is this waived as he’s in/going to be in a COVID sporting bubble? Less than ideal if it’s the former.

1 minute ago, AngusTheBull said:

Landed in Aberdeen today according to Twitter.

Does he have to self-isolate for 10 days given he’s come from Switzerland, or is this waived as he’s in/going to be in a COVID sporting bubble? Less than ideal if it’s the former.

I'm sure there are still exemptions for Elite Sport.

Antwerp won't be spending 10 days in a hotel when they come to face Rangers.

14 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

All taken from Bert Kassies website...

1st goes into the CL Q3, 2nd goes into the CL Q2

Assuming the Scottish Cup isn't completed this season:

3rd goes into EL PO; as you can see from the diagram the winners of this go into the EL group stage, the losers go into the ECL group stage.

4th and 5th go into ECL Q2

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/files/2021-24-uefa-club-competitions-scheme.png

Ultimately, if we finished 4th or 5th we'd still have a chance of qualifying, but in the ECL playoff we'd likely be facing the kind of standard of team we've consistently been knocked out by in the EL Q3 in the past half decade.

Very Roughly going by the latest team positions across Europe

europa PO - looks about same as difficult as Europa QR3 has been

ECL r2 - looks easier than Europa R2 has tended to be

ECLr3 - looks easier than Europa R3 has tended to be

ECLPO - looks very equivalent to Europa PO previous level

Guest Bob Mahelp
6 minutes ago, d31 said:

If Ross wins the PO round tie that would be better than anything by McInnes

If Ross loses the PO tie then no would not rank better but if he got out of the ECL group then it would rank better.

A fantastic opportunity and presuming we qualify 8 years in a row its absolutely sickening weve fucked it up.

It's the sole reason, for me, that I want to sack McInnes

We have been absolutely cursed with injuries this season while Hibs have got off relatively scott free in important positions. Watkins and Hedges with season ending injuries, Cosgrove out at the beginning of the season and not the same player when he came back. McRorie and Ferguson missing due to SFA protocols. Wright sold, Cosgrove sold. 

The most important part of the season and while Hibs recruit strongly, we have a fire sale, take in some unproven strikers, and get our most important attacking player injured for 4 months. 

McInnes has made lots of mistakes this season and is guilty of being unable to inspire the team when they needed it, but there are some mitigating circumstances. I'm convinced that if Watkins had stayed fit and if we were still playing with him, Hedges and Wright up front, we'd be strolling 3rd. 

Remember when we were all happy as we were going to stroll to 3rd behind Watkins silky forward play, and the gorgeous new Wright/Hedges inspired football we were playing?

Pretty much every manager in football is a shitey 2 months away from "the board has full confidence" type conversations and Mcinnes no exception

14 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm not saying that. I'm saying it'll take more than 10 years to turn from the fucking mess of an outfit you were to a genuine "third force", and it'll likely require a stadium change and some poor seasons, to get there.

Folk crying because you're not finishing 3rd every season are missing the big picture.

Explain the stadium change thing. :lol:

I am not saying fans are any different. They arguably want their club to do better than what is even expected.
But and here is the BIG but. 
All teams bar maybe Bayern Munich, Juventus, Ajax, PSG etc have dips in form. A combination of player recruitment, injuries, refereeing decisions and lost more besides. 
Aberdeen are sitting 4th and likely to qualify for Europe again. You may argue that point right now but even if they finished 5th or 6th why is it hard for Aberdeen fans to accept that may happen once in every 6 or 7 seasons ? 
Hibs are arguably a bigger club than Aberdeen and I hardly see similar expectations on where they should finish in the league each and every season. Maybe this one as Hearts are out of the league but I genuinely believe Aberdeen fans are most unforgiving or less tolerating of minor failure than any others in the top flight outside of the Old firm. 

Hibs are not a bigger team than Aberdeen.

Living through the 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s, 20s, Hibs have never been a thing.

Hence why you never see similar expectations.

7 hours ago, HibsFan said:

Explain the stadium change thing. :lol:

By most accounts I see, Pittodrie drains Aberdeens finances in upkeep costs while bringing in next to nothing in terms of non-matchday money.

Aberdeen need a stadium that makes them money as part of the process to really push on.

8 hours ago, SamuraiJock said:

Remember when we were all happy as we were going to stroll to 3rd behind Watkins silky forward play, and the gorgeous new Wright/Hedges inspired football we were playing?

Pretty much every manager in football is a shitey 2 months away from "the board has full confidence" type conversations and Mcinnes no exception

I think we have been unlucky and it’s a real shame. I was genuinely enjoying watching us and had a lot of belief in that early season form. Mcinnes deserves credit for having us playing that well. 

However, he does need criticised for the lack of flexibility or plan B for a loss of personnel. I think the 3-4-3 depended on quite specific personnel in key areas. So whilst our squad depth was decent generally, it wasn’t in the context of that shape IMO. 

We shoehorned replacements into that shape and it hasn’t worked. I think he should have had a bit more foresight as to how we might deal with injuries etc.