The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

19 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

There's nobody demanding we are at that level.

We can't all laud Livi for their shrewd recruitment which has them punching well above their weight while simultaneously claiming no other club can put pressure on the OF.

We've been hoping to get third that past two years while cutting about with Curtis Main up front. He wasn't good enough for Motherwell when they finished 8th. We signed him and made him a focal point of the team.

To be fair he did look good in the semi final v Aberdeen 😉

I actually think that Aberdeen signing policy has been decent. Lewis Ferguson, Cosgrove, McGinn, Hayes, McRorie, Logan, etc. 

All clubs make signings that are bewildering or just don’t work out. Even the Premiership clubs who spunk £20m on a player who makes a few appearances and then disappear. 

I go along with the fact that most Managers have a time span after which a change and fresh view is needed. Aberdeen and McInnes have probably reached that point. 

But I still believe and agree with RG that Aberdeen fans expectations are unrealistic. They have pretty much done what was expected theses past 6 or 7 seasons in terms of league finishes and qualifying for Europe. Look at Hearts and Hibs who both have been relegated in that time. Both of whom have higher average gates. 

Getting rid of McInnes might prove a masterstroke to kick on. Conversely it may set you back and find you finishing mid table or worse. 

22 minutes ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Jesus christ.

Let's just accept the status quo or give up completely. 

I'm not saying that. I'm saying it'll take more than 10 years to turn from the fucking mess of an outfit you were to a genuine "third force", and it'll likely require a stadium change and some poor seasons, to get there.

Folk crying because you're not finishing 3rd every season are missing the big picture.

3 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I actually think that Aberdeen signing policy has been decent. Lewis Ferguson, Cosgrove, McGinn, Hayes, McRorie, Logan, etc. 

All clubs make signings that are bewildering or just don’t work out. Even the Premiership clubs who spunk £20m on a player who makes a few appearances and then disappear. 

I go along with the fact that most Managers have a time span after which a change and fresh view is needed. Aberdeen and McInnes have probably reached that point. 

But I still believe and agree with RG that Aberdeen fans expectations are unrealistic. They have pretty much done what was expected theses past 6 or 7 seasons in terms of league finishes and qualifying for Europe. Look at Hearts and Hibs who both have been relegated in that time. Both of whom have higher average gates. 

Getting rid of McInnes might prove a masterstroke to kick on. Conversely it may set you back and find you finishing mid table or worse. 

We were all wondering if he was signed on the basis of that one game tbh.

We've made some good signings. But Logan was offered a new deal when he was looking past it and McGinn was offered a good deal to come back from Korea and hasn't always hit the heights. Most said at the time a 3 year deal seemed excessive. Hayes has blown hot and cold. McCrorie was a no-brainer and Cosgrove was a great bit of business. You'd be surprised at the amount of dud signings though.

Was it expected to finish behind Killie and Motherwell? I wouldn't say so. RG says it would take 10 years to catch the OF. Start the 10 year plan now.

For anyone interested, this was the strategy proposed by the club at the beginning of the season. Could anyone argue that one year in we've seen anything like it? We signed McCrorie so that's one tick but what about the football?

https://www.afc.co.uk/2020/06/25/aberdeen-football-club-unveils-football-philosophy-and-strategy/

I am not saying fans are any different. They arguably want their club to do better than what is even expected.

But and here is the BIG but. 

All teams bar maybe Bayern Munich, Juventus, Ajax, PSG etc have dips in form. A combination of player recruitment, injuries, refereeing decisions and lost more besides. 

Aberdeen are sitting 4th and likely to qualify for Europe again. You may argue that point right now but even if they finished 5th or 6th why is it hard for Aberdeen fans to accept that may happen once in every 6 or 7 seasons ? 

Hibs are arguably a bigger club than Aberdeen and I hardly see similar expectations on where they should finish in the league each and every season. Maybe this one as Hearts are out of the league but I genuinely believe Aberdeen fans are most unforgiving or less tolerating of minor failure than any others in the top flight outside of the Old firm. 

Edited by welldaft

6 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I am not saying fans are any different. They arguably want their club to do better than what is even expected.

All teams bar maybe Bayern Munich, Juventus, Ajax, PSG etc have dips in form. A combination of player recruitment, injuries, refereeing decisions and lost more besides. 

Aberdeen are sitting 4th and likely to qualify for Europe again. You may argue that point right now but even if they finished 5th or 6th why is it hard for Aberdeen fans to accept that may happen once in every 6 or 7 seasons ? 

Hibs are arguably a bigger club than Aberdeen and I hardly see similar expectations on where they should finish in the league each and every season. Maybe this one as Hearts are out of the league but I genuinely believe Aberdeen fans are most unforgiving or less tolerating of minor failure than any others in the top flight outside of the Old firm. 

LOL.

13 minutes ago, welldaft said:

That's why we are a tough gig for anyone.

The average wage at Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs is a bit more than the other clubs, but that comes with a pressure of expectation - and some players struggle with that.  That means that there will always be a chance for a well-organised side on an upward cycle like Motherwell (most often), Kilmarnock (under Clarke) or Livingston this season to finish above us.  Then if you get it wrong completely, you can have a disatrous season such as us under Paterson/McGhee or Hibs/Hearts several times in recent times.

The bigot brothers are signing players for millions and putting them anything from 4 to 15 times what our lot are on - yet just about every defeat is "bottling it" according to mainstream social media.

McInnes has delivered a good level for us in league positions, winning ratio and some good European results too. Even one more domestic cup would have made a huge difference, but running into peak Rodgers or going into semis with half our team suspended/injured didn't help either - 2014 vs St J at Ibrox remains the one that really got away !

I get the point of being worried about change, but I just fear there's a maybe 20% chance of significant improvement and possibly a 50% likelihood of serious regression if we change him right now.

ps  Hibs bigger club - steady...

Edited by tarapoa

17 minutes ago, welldaft said:

"Hibs are a big club yet they have no standards and their fans are happy with being a yoyo side and one Scottish cup in 300 years" doesn't make a great deal of sense ;)

I am really struggling with the narrative of the opposition fans. Seems to change on a routine basis.

Lose to OF - McInnes bottles it again.

Aberdeen fans upset with our OF record - you can't compete, Unrealistic expectations.

Aberdeen play shite football against their team - With that squad we should be doing better.

When Aberdeen fans demand better football - You should be happy with what you have.

Aberdeen knocked out of cup - Hahaha you only have 1 cup under McInnes

Aberdeen fans unhappy with cup record - Cups are a lottery.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

They seem to want to regularly challenge, and finish above, teams with 30x their budget, while simultaneously be light years ahead of times who's budget is 3x lower than theirs, all in under a decade. As if building a club up to challenge those odds can be done overnight by going to the "staff search" screen on FM and hiring all the bestest coaches in the world.

And win one of the two cups every season.

McInnes is a victim of his own success.

30 x our budget, I think if that's the case both then Celtic and Rangers are underachieving massively with their £300m budgets.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Stop it now with this ridiculous common sense !!

Guest Bob Mahelp
57 minutes ago, welldaft said:

...but then you had to go and spoil it...

39 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Aberdeen are the third biggest club in Scotland. Aberdeen have the third largest revenue stream and are the third most successful club in Scotland despite other clubs being in existence for over 20 odd years longer. As such anything below 3rd is viewed a failure.

1998-2012 was historically Aberdeen's worst period. The occasional third/4th finish in that period wasn't good enough. Calderwood got sacked for only finishing top 6 every season. I don't expect to win the league but the financial resources we possess should equate to third place finishes. 4th at worst. Anything below that is disastrous.

19 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

1. Does it matter who's the third biggest team?

2. Shouldn't all teams be striving to improve and not just accept what is "expected"?

No team can achieve every year. Rangers have spent plenty time outside the top two and Celtic are spending this season outside the top 1 or top 2.

6 minutes ago, d31 said:

No team can achieve every year. Rangers have spent plenty time outside the top two and Celtic are spending this season outside the top 1 or top 2.

We've underachieved for two years after over achieving the two years previously.

Edited by Merkland Red